Subject: (ION) Protocol Action: Multiprotocol Encapsulation over ATM Adaptation Layer 5 to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 06:58:42 -0400

The IESG has approved publication of the following documents as
Proposed Standards:

o Multiprotocol Encapsulation over ATM Adaptation Layer 5
	<draft-ietf-ion-multiprotocol-atm-04.txt>.

  This document replaces RFC1483, currently a Proposed Standard.

o Virtual Private Networks Identifier <draft-ietf-ion-vpn-id-02.txt> 

These documents are the product of the Internetworking Over NBMA
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas
Narten.

Technical Summary
 
The first document updates and replaces RFC 1483.  It describes two
encapsulations methods for carrying network interconnect traffic over
AAL type 5 over ATM.  The first method allows multiplexing of multiple
protocols over a single ATM virtual connection whereas the second
method assumes that each protocol is carried over a separate ATM
virtual connection. The document also defines how to encapsulate
packets being carried as part of a specific ATM VPN.  The second
document defines the format for the VPN identifier used in ATM
networks. The same VPN identifier may be useful as a VPN identifier in
other technologies providing VPN service, but there is no requirement
that it be used in other contexts.

Working Group Summary

There was consensus in the WG for these documents.

Protocol Quality

These documents have been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.  The
multiprotocol clarifies RFC 1483 and is recyling at Proposed rather
than advancing to Draft because of the addition of the VPN encapsulation.
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.