Subject: (ION) Ironies

From: "Albert Manfredi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 10:44:31 -0400

Hi ATMers. Have any of you seen draft-ietf-iptel-glp-tbgp-01.txt? It
is the photographic negative of NHRP, but it seems to take a much
more pragmatic approach. It uses BGP and is a static address
resolution mechanism to announce reachability of E.164 addresses
from IPv4 or IPv6 nets, somewhat similar to what I proposed on this
list some time ago as a quick and dirty way to resolve IP and ATM
addresses.

But why can't this same scheme be used to reach any AESA from IP,
and vice versa? In principle, why can't an IP host converse with a
native ATM application on an ATM network using this? In the past, we
have always assumed that IP hosts didn't want to know anything about
ATM, addresses or applications, and yet this TBGP and MGCP (media
gateway control protocol) in general is changing that paradigm.
Isn't it?

As always, I think that what ATM could offer here is simply better
service for certain types of applications. If this proves to be the
case, then it's role would be obvious.

Bert
[email-masked]

X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.