Subject: (ION) KLEZ worm on the frnetmib email list, time to shut down the lists

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 06:54:09 -0400

Hello, former frnetmib-ers and ion-ers.  These two lists has been, for 
whatever reason, EXTREMELY popular for attempted spam and virus 
attacks.  However, I've had list filtering in place since day one and the 
only person seeing all this activity was me.  However, given the KLEZ 
worm's ability to send messages with forged real addresses collected from 
newsgroups and other sources, it was inevitable that a message would make 
it through sooner or later with a forged address that was actually on the 
list, which is what happened last night on the message with the subject 
line "(FRNETMIB) So cool a flash,enjoy it".  I trust that you're all smart 
enough to not open the attachment, and I urge you to keep your virus 
software updated.

That leads to my next part of this message.  I haven't seen a real message 
on the lists for a very long time.  In fact, you've probably even forgotten 
that you're on either one or both of them.  So I'm going to shut them down 
within the next few days.  I just wanted one last chance to thank all of 
you that have contributed to both working groups in the past.

All my best,
Andy
Former chair, frnetmib & ion working groups

X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 17:46:53 -0400

Bert,

Thanks.  Hope you're not too overwhelmed by the mass of bounces .... :-)

Cheers,
Andy

-----

At 5/23/2002 04:35 PM -0400, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Andrew G. Malis [mailto:[email-masked]]
>
>[ ... ]
>
>Hi Andy,
>As far as I'm concerned, ION was one of the most enjoyable of IETF wg and 
>lists. A shame its time has come. But as you say, it has. IP-Optical took 
>over where ION left off, in a sense, and ATM is where it is.
>
>Thanks for the hard work and for providing the venue for those colorful 
>debates!
>
>Bert
>[email-masked]