Subject: [Iot-directorate] Iotdir last call review of draft-ietf-dnssd-prireq-04

From: Samita Chakrabarti via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 09:31:59 -0800

Reviewer: Samita Chakrabarti
Review result: Ready with Nits

I have reviewed draft-ietf-dnssd-prireq-04.

The document is informative and clear with a few editorial nits on section 4.1
through 4.3.

I have reviewed from the IoT devices perspective  and most likely for the
consumer devices that might be present in the public network and are using
shared network technologies (wireless or wired). The threat model are
applicable to them. Section 3.1 describes implications for wearable and  server
related privacy issue.  Perhaps a small paragraph might be added in this
section or in the introduction calling out possible privacy and security
threats on personal IoT devices in the public places ( that might act as a
dns-sd client).

At the same time, considering limited processing capabilities, battery saving
concern considerations, privacy related extra processing of messages from the
dns-sd server should not be mandated for the IoT devices. Depending on the
device capabilities, the feature can be configurable and the user can turn
on/off  at their need; additionally some iot devices may not care about the
privacy at all.

So, a few additional lines on IoT implications for the threat model and yet
flexibility of implementation of the dns-sd IOT client may be mentioned in the
document to clarify the IoT devices in the shared wireless/wired medium.

---

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 10:36:27 -0800

Thanks for the review, Samita. We will try to add some precisions about
IoT devices in the next version of the draft.

---

From: "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 15:56:28 +0000

[Sorry for belated reply, I was on vacations]

Thank you Samita for your review and thank you Christian and Ted for your replies

-éric

On 13/02/2020, 19:37, "last-call on behalf of Christian Huitema" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    
    -- 
    last-call mailing list
    [email-masked]
    https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/last-call