Subject: Re: [Iot-directorate] Iotdir last call review of draft-ietf-roll-turnon-rfc8138-09

From: "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2020 06:40:30 +0000

Thank you Carles for your Last Call review, I have checked whether your suggestions (amended by Alvaro) were implemented by Pascal in the current revision while doing my own IESG ballot.

Regards

-éric

-----Original Message-----
From: Iot-directorate <[email-masked]> on behalf of Carles Gomez via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: Carles Gomez <[email-masked]>
Date: Wednesday, 5 August 2020 at 09:26
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Iot-directorate] Iotdir last call review of draft-ietf-roll-turnon-rfc8138-09

    Reviewer: Carles Gomez
    Review result: Ready with Nits

    The document is generally clear and well written. No issue was found from a
    "6lo" perspective.

    Some nits/questions/comments follow:

    - Section 2.1, 1st paragraph:  s/The Terminology/The terminology

    - Section 2.1, 2nd paragraph, first line: s/"RPL Instance”/and “RPL Instance”

    - Section 2.1, 3rd paragraph: s/RPL Aware Leaf/RPL-Aware Leaf

    - Section 2.2: note that the use of hyphens in the expanded forms of RAL and
    RUL are different from those in draft-ietf-roll-useofrplinfo. (I think the
    correct form is the one in the turnon-rfc8138 document, but I guess this will
    be confirmed at subsequent stages…)

    - Section 3: “A MOP value of 7 and above”. If the MOP is a 3-bit field, the
    highest MOP value is 7 (assuming that the lowest value is 0). Why state here
    "and above"? Are there plans to extend the MOP field size?

    - Section 3, after “A MOP value of 7 and above”. s/MUST use
    compression/indicates that compression MUST be used

    - Section 4, 1st paragraph: “if and only if the "T" flag is set.” Should we
    perhaps append “or if the MOP value is 7.”  ?

    - Section 4, 1st paragraph: s/implementations/implementation

    - Section 4, 3rd paragraph: What is the "RPL border router"? I couldn't find a
    definition in the Terminology section or in other documents...  May the "RPL
    border router" and the Root run in the same physical device? May the "RPL
    border router" and the Root run in different physical devices?

    - Section 4, 3rd paragraph: the last sentence is written only from the “from”
    perspective, whereas the previous one is keeps the double "from/to" perspective.

    - Section 4, last paragraph, 1st sentence. Please remove the blank space at the
    end of the sentence.

    - Section 5, 1st paragraph, 2nd sentence. Perhaps prepend the following:
    “Without this specification, ”

    - Section 7, last sentence. Might this still be exploited as an attack (e.g. to
    battery-operated devices) based on depleting energy at a faster rate? If
    appropriate, please briefly discuss whether this might be significant or not.

    -- 
    Iot-directorate mailing list
    [email-masked]
    https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iot-directorate