Subject: [Iot-directorate] icons for IoT onboarding

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 17:52:50 -0500

I started putting all the icons that I have been using in BRSKI presentations
into:
   https://github.com/iot-dir/slides/tree/master/anima/brski

My goal in doing this is to arrive at common messaging and communications.
I try to keep all the sources of the imagery in urls.txt, but I think that I
have overwritten it and shortened it, so I'll have to dig into some history
to get it all together.

Pascal has a dropbox that he shared with me with all his presentations.
He has many interesting and details mesh network diagrams, which I've often
used in my presentations.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )
           Sandelman Software Works Inc, Ottawa and Worldwide

---

From: Bruce Nordman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 20:18:40 -0800

All--
  I think that this is a really important effort.  I don't have any
particular background in IoT onboarding, but have worked extensively in
user interface standards.  In general, they are a 'free' way to improve
interoperability, with no clear downside.
  I spent most of three years studying how we turn electronic devices on
and off - and more importantly working to make it easier for them to end up
asleep.  This to save energy.  I wrote a 200 page research report on this
and the results ended up as IEEE 1621 (which is only about 8 pages
thankfully).
  For the last dozen years I have been working to create a standard for
lighting control user interfaces and have a proposed standard - see:
http://nordman.lbl.gov/lightui
  UI standards need to be international - think of keyboards, phone
keypads, motor vehicle controls.  People and devices move (well, post-COVID
they will).
  UI standards for IoT would be very helpful.  The IETF would be a fine
place to host it.  Please let me know if I can help.
  Thanks,
--Bruce

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 2:52 PM Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Iot-directorate mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iot-directorate
>

-- 
*Bruce Nordman*
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
*nordman.lbl.gov <http://nordman.lbl.gov>*
[email-masked]
510-486-7089; m: 510-501-7943

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 17:25:14 -0500

> place to host it.  Please let me know if I can help.

Many people at the IETF think that UI work can not be done here.
  "We don't have the expertise", "It's not essential for interoperability"
and much of this is true, but often it's also self-fullfilling.
There are a number of protocols that I've worked on which could have benefit
(and could still benefit) from standardized diagnostic modes, with yes,
common UI elements to clearly let admins know if they are on/off/engaged/available.
But, I'm not going to argue the point, but just to make it clear what kind of
situation you might find.

There is a WG, "ASDF", of which I'm co-chair, which you might find
interesting, as it deals with the semantic content of IoT communication.
For instance, dimmable lights, as your page talks about, could be:
  a byte intensity could be 0-255 or 0-254 with 255 meaning last setting
    (I think that was the example)

It seems that there is a place in ASDF to connect to what the controls
actually say to the "operator"