Subject: [Iot-onboarding] proposed charter text for IoTOPS

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 13:13:09 -0400

Warren and Robert have been busy consulting the IESG about a proposed new WG:
  https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/iotops/about/

I suggest that followups occur on [email-masked]?
I am pasting the text from the data tracker below.
I understand that this will go in front of the IESG without the need for a BOF.

The IOTOPS working group is for the discussion of operational issues related
to Internet of Things (IoT) devices and the publication and standardization
of documents that relate to management of IoT devices, in particular related
to device onboarding and lifecycle management.

IoT has a rather nebulous definition with different meanings for different
people.

For the purposes of this WG, its focus is on devices that are:
- networked - either to the Internet or isolated domain(s),

- have a very limited end user interface or no end-user interface at all,

- are deployed in sufficiently large numbers that they cannot easily be
  managed or maintained manually.

The IETF has been working on a wide variety of protocols for use by machine
to machine communication that are applicable to IoT devices. Such protocols
and Working Groups include CoAP, CBOR, DRIP, 6TISCH, ROLL, LAKE, LPWAN, LWIG,
SUIT, SZTP, and Manufacturer Usage Description.

IOTOPS will solicit input on IoT device related operational issues and
practices, existing and proposed technologies related to the deployment,
operation and lifecycle management of IoT devices.

IOTOPS provides a venue for IoT experts and other interested parties to
engage in discussions of IoT requirements of networking standards, as well as
proposals for new uses of IP technology in IoT specific scenarios. Where new
protocols or revisions to existing protocols are needed, IOTOPS will help
identify candidate venues within IETF for their development.

In cases where there are no other suitable venues, the WG may develop
protocols, primarily of an operational nature or initiate the creation of a
WG. This work will be coordinated with the responsible ADs.

IOTOPS WG charter is restricted to:

Take input and discuss issues related to the operational management of IoT
devices.

Not limited to, but including:
- factory provisioning of devices
- onboarding of devices
- access control of devices to network resources
- administrative control of devices
- software/firmware upgrades
- isolation/quarantine of devices
- remediation of broken devices
- end of life management of devices

Work on onboarding protocols, specifically including derivatives of BRSKI,
but not limited to only that protocol.

Discuss work related to IoT operational security. This should be discussed
with SECDISPATCH and the WG must consult with the OPS and SEC ADs before
adopting any documents in this area.

Produce requirements documents related to new IoT operations work if
needed. The resultant work may be carried out in other WGs, new WGs formed
specifically to work on those items, or in the IOTOPS WG itself.

Milestones:
Maintenance and extensions related to MUD (Manufacturer Usage Description)
[IESG Note - moved from OPSAWG (discussion)]

Maintenance and extensions related to the BRSKI onboarding protocol [IESG
Note - moved from ANIMA (discussion)]

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )
           Sandelman Software Works Inc, Ottawa and Worldwide

---

From: "Rob Wilton (rwilton)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 18:01:29 +0000

Because the charter is currently in internal IESG review, then please may I request that we hold off from public discussion just yet.

Given that some aspects of this proposed WG are slightly unusual (it has a MOPS like element to it), then we need to clear that with the IESG first.

If we succeed in doing so, then the WG chartering would follow the normal process, be opened up for external review, and then the charter text can be discussed more widely.

Regards,
Rob (& Warren)

> -----Original Message-----
> From: OPSAWG <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Michael Richardson
> Sent: 13 October 2020 18:13
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: [OPSAWG] proposed charter text for IoTOPS
> 
>