Subject: [Iotops] WG Action: Formed IOT Operations (iotops)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 10:11:29 -0800

A new IETF WG has been formed in the Operations and Management Area. For
additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

IOT Operations (iotops)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Henk Birkholz <[email-masked]>
  Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Directors:
  Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
  Robert Wilton <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iotops
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/iotops/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/iotops/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-iotops/

The IOTOPS Working Group is chartered for the discussion of operational
issues related to Internet of Things (IoT) devices, in particular related to
device onboarding and lifecycle management.

IoT has a rather nebulous definition with different meanings for different
people.

For the purposes of this WG, its focus is on devices that

  - are networked, either to the Internet or within limited administrative
  domains

  - have a very limited end user interface or no end-user interface at all

  - are deployed in sufficiently large numbers that they cannot easily be
  managed or maintained manually

The IETF works on a number of technologies related to IoT. This includes, but
is not limited to work done in ACE, ANIMA, CBOR, CORE, DRIP, LAKE, LPWAN,
LWIG, ROLL, SUIT, TEEP, 6LO, 6TISCH, and other working groups. IOTOPS is
intended to be a discussion venue where people can discuss how various
IoT-related technologies fit together.

IOTOPS provides a venue for IoT experts and other interested parties to
engage in discussions of operational IoT requirements, as well as proposals
for new uses of IP technology related to IoT devices and network operations.

Revision, updates, and extensions to work from existing WGs will be done in
those WGs.  Where new work may be needed, IOTOPS will help identify candidate
venues within IETF for their development.

IOTOPS WG charter is restricted to:

1) Taking input and discussing issues related to the operational management
of IoT devices. This includes (but is not limited to):
  - factory provisioning of devices
  - onboarding of devices
  - access control of devices to network resources
  - administrative control of devices
  - software/firmware upgrades
  - isolation/quarantine of devices
  - remediation of broken devices
  - end of life management of devices

2) Taking input and discussing issues related to IoT operational security.

3) Publishing operational practices.

4) Documenting requirements.

Approximately one year after chartering, the WG chairs will prepare a report
for the IESG summarizing what the group has accomplished; this is both as a
checkpoint for this working group and as a demonstration to the IESG that
this style of working groups such as this have value and should be considered
more often.