Subject: You have been added to the IP1394 list

From: "L-Soft list server at Intel Corporation (1.8c)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 13:34:29 -0700

Thu, 1 Oct 1998 13:34:29

You have been added to the IP1394 mailing list (IETF IP over 1394 Working
Group) by "Hattig, Myron" <[email-masked]>.

Please save this message for future  reference, especially if this is the
first time you subscribe to an  electronic mailing list. If you ever need
to  leave the  list,  you  will find  the  necessary instructions  below.
Perhaps  more importantly,  saving a  copy of  this message  (and of  all
future subscription notices  from other mailing lists) in  a special mail
folder will give you instant access to the list of mailing lists that you
are subscribed  to. This may  prove very useful the  next time you  go on
vacation and  need to leave  the lists temporarily so  as not to  fill up
your  mailbox while  you  are away!  You should  also  save the  "welcome
messages" from the  list owners that you will  occasionally receive after
subscribing to a new list.

To send  a message to  all the people  currently subscribed to  the list,
just send mail to [email-masked].  This is called "sending mail
to the  list", because  you send  mail to a  single address  and LISTSERV
makes  copies  for all  the  people  who  have subscribed.  This  address
([email-masked]) is  also called  the "list address".  You must
never try to send any command to that address, as it would be distributed
to all the people  who have subscribed. All commands must  be sent to the
"LISTSERV address",  [email-masked]. It is very  important to
understand  the difference  between the  two, but  fortunately it  is not
complicated. The LISTSERV address is like  a FAX number that connects you
to  a machine,  whereas the  list  address is  like a  normal voice  line
connecting you to a person. If you make a mistake and dial the FAX number
when you wanted to talk to someone on the phone, you will quickly realize
that you  used the wrong  number and call again.  No harm will  have been
done. If on the other hand  you accidentally make your FAX call someone's
voice  line,  the  person  receiving the  call  will  be  inconvenienced,
especially if your FAX then re-dials  every 5 minutes. The fact that most
people will eventually connect the FAX machine to the voice line to allow
the FAX  to go through  and make  the calls stop  does not mean  that you
should continue to send FAXes to  the voice number. People would just get
mad at you.  It works pretty much  the same way with  mailing lists, with
the difference  that you are calling  hundreds or thousands of  people at
the same  time, and consequently  you can expect a  lot of people  to get
upset if you consistently send commands to the list address.

You may leave the list at any  time by sending a "SIGNOFF IP1394" command
to [email-masked]. You can also tell LISTSERV how you want it
to confirm the  receipt of messages you  send to the list. If  you do not
trust the  system, send a  "SET IP1394  REPRO" command and  LISTSERV will
send  you a  copy of  your own  messages, so  that you  can see  that the
message was distributed and did not get damaged on the way. After a while
you  may find  that this  is getting  annoying, especially  if your  mail
program does not  tell you that the  message is from you  when it informs
you that new mail has arrived from  IP1394. If you send a "SET IP1394 ACK
NOREPRO" command, LISTSERV will mail you a short acknowledgement instead,
which  will look  different in  your  mailbox directory.  With most  mail
programs you  will know immediately  that this is an  acknowledgement you
can read  later. Finally,  you can  turn off  acknowledgements completely
with "SET IP1394 NOACK NOREPRO".

Following  instructions from  the list  owner, your  subscription options
have been  set to "REPRO"  rather than  the usual LISTSERV  defaults. For
more  information  about  subscription  options, send  a  "QUERY  IP1394"
command to [email-masked].

Contributions sent to this list are automatically archived. You can get a
list of the available archive files  by sending an "INDEX IP1394" command
to [email-masked]. You can then order these files with a "GET
IP1394 LOGxxxx" command, or  using LISTSERV's database search facilities.
Send an "INFO DATABASE" command for more information on the latter.

This  list is  available  in digest  form.  If you  wish  to receive  the
digested version of the postings, just issue a SET IP1394 DIGEST command.

More  information on  LISTSERV  commands  can be  found  in the  LISTSERV
reference  card, which  you can  retrieve  by sending  an "INFO  REFCARD"
command to [email-masked].