Subject: Group address in MCAP Group Address Descriptor ...

From: Prabhakara Yellai <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 11:45:58 PDT

Hi,
   The the 'group_address' field in the MCAP group
   address descriptor format (Figure 5, page 19 of draft-11)
   is a variable length field. I am curious about the reason(s).
   I was initially thinking that it was because, a node
   can advertise multiple IP multicast group addresses to
   single channel mapping (as and when the facilities and
   methods are defined to support multiple IP multicast
   groups sharing a single channel). But, when I re-read
   the description of 'group_address' field
   "This variable length field shall specify the IP address
   of a particular multicast group. ..." which means
   there is no provision, here, for multiple IP multicast
   group addresses in a single group address descriptor.
   Or did I mess something here?

   Appreciate if someone clarify the motivation.

Prabhakara

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

---

From: Kenji Fujisawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 1998 23:39:49 +0900

>   is a variable length field. I am curious about the reason(s).

We can extend the usage of the 'MCAP group address descriptor'
by using 'type' and 'length'.
One possibility is IPv6 descriptor.

Regards,

Kenji Fujisawa