Subject: Spec MTU is not clearly stated

From: "Hattig, Myron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 11:33:25 -0700

Peter,

One of my colleagues just pointed out two confusing points in the below text

from section 6.0.

Here is the text:

"The maximum data payload for asynchronous requests and responses may
also be restricted by the capabilities of the sending or receiving
node(s); this is specified by max_rec in either the bus information
block or ARP response.

For either of these reasons, the minimum capabilities between IP-capable
nodes may be less than the 1500 octet maximum transmission unit (MTU)
specified by this document. This requires that the encapsulation format
also permit 1394 link-level fragmentation and reassembly of IP datagrams."

1) This text does not clearly state:
THE MTU IS 1500 BYTES.

The text should be changed to clearly make this statement. In fact, I think
it warrants separate section, even if the entire section consists of a
single
sentence stating the MTU size for  IP/1394.

2) The word CAPABILITIES in the first sentence of the second paragraph
is misleading in that some people think it suggests some devices do not
support a 1500 byte MTU. I'm fairly sure the intention for the word
CAPABILITIES is referring to the 1394 packet size, not the MTU size. The
text needs to change to the intentions.

Peter, are these two points clear?

-myron