Subject: GASP Header proposed values

From: "Hattig, Myron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 11:03:26 -0800

If I recall, the GASP header is 2 quadlets or 64 bits long.
It consists of three fields:
- 16 bit source node ID
- 24 bit OUI value
- 24 bit OUI dependent value

The source Node ID and OUI fields require little discussion. The
Internet Assigned Numbers Authority  (IANA) is responsible for
allocating numbers for IETF specs, therefore the IANA OUI value
should be used for GASP within IETF specs. The IANA OUI value
is 0x00005E.

Since we are the only IETF WG defining numbers within the GASP
header we hold the baton to define the OUI dependent values for
IANA. Here are the suggestions I have:

A) Use 16 bit EtherType. EtherType allows us to identify IPv4, ARP,
or IPv6.
B) Makeup a new number to identify the link fragmentation defined
in the IP/1394 spec. This option should probably be accompanied by
endorsement and possibly the creation of a new number category
with the numbers defined by the IANA.
C) Call the field reserved for later use.

Given that many demux needs, including all demux needs required by
IP/1394, are met by the OUI field in the GASP and the EtherType in
the link fragment header, I lean toward just calling the field
reserved. This is option C.

-myron

---

From: Kenji Fujisawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 10:52:33 +0900

>reserved. This is option C.

I agree with this.

Regards,

Kenji Fujisawa

---

From: Kenji Fujisawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 22:21:13 +0900

Kenji Fujisawa wrote:
> >I lean toward just calling the field reserved. This is option C.
> I agree with this.

By definition, a recipient of a RESERVED field will not check its
value. So I changed my mind. I choose option D.

D) Must be zero.

Regards,

Kenji Fujisawa