Subject: Re: BCM Election Process

From: Dimitris Staikos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 14:57:17 +0300

Hi,

Doesn't the BCM election process (99-005r1.pdf) contradict the
recommendation set by P1394a draft 2.0 paragraph 9.10?
Paragraph 9.10 _recommends_ that a bus reset should not be
issued by software/firmware for 2 seconds after the last bus reset.

We don't think it's nice if P1394a itself recommends something
in one paragraph and violates it in another. Additionally we
believe that 9.10 is a good recommendation and may be we should
consider changing it into a requirement.

That would not only give enough time for ANY kind of post-bus-reset
management to complete, but it would avoid the design of
protocols that depend on tight timing like the BCM election
does.

For example the 15 msec mentioned in the BCM election process
might appear to be an eternity for chips, but software timing
services are not at all accurate so this can lead to unexpected
behaviour (for example 2 or more nodes deciding do to forceroot
themselves and do a bus reset at the same time).

Regards,
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dimitris Staikos
[email-masked] (Business mail only please),
[email-masked] (Personal mail), ICQ UIN 169876
Software Systems & Applications Chief Engineer, UniBrain, www.unibrain.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
STOP NATO AGGRESSION NOW.
YOUR CHILDREN WILL BE THE NEXT TARGETS.
http://www.serbia-info.com/
http://www.iacenter.org/
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Sector/7365/english.html
http://alert.eunet.yu/stopnato.html
http://www.bgdconsulting.com/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Kenji Fujisawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 03:44:56 +0900

>recommendation set by P1394a draft 2.0 paragraph 9.10?

Furthermore, some notes should be added
in P1394a 2.0 "9.23 Abdication by the bus manager" step d).
It recommends to set it's own force_root and initiate bus-reset
when a node wish to become the bus manager.

BTW, would you teach me how to subscribe P1394a discussion list?
Is it still active?

Regards,

Kenji Fujisawa