Subject: Re: P1394a BRC input

From: Peter Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 00:40:20 EDT

In a message dated 99-06-29 23:17:39 EDT, [email-masked] writes:

<<In clause 9.22 for the definition of BROADCAST_CHANNEL register, the
initial value for the channel field is 31, and you said it is hardwired.

In clause 9.28 for the determination of the IRM, in the 6th paragraph, it
says "A contender that becomes the isochronous resource manager shall update
its own BROADCAST_CHANNEL register by setting the valid bit to one and the
channel field to 31;..."

When the default (hardwired) value for channel field is 31, why should it
update this field every time. Is the updation of valid bit not sufficient in
this case?>>

Thank you, Nagaraj---it was a typographical error. It is entirely sufficient
for the IRM to set the valid bit to one; I've deleted the phrase "...and the
channel field to 31."

Regards,

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.
98 Colorado Avenue
Berkeley, CA  94707

(510) 527-3926
(510) 527-3856 FAX

[email-masked]

---

From: "Joseph Joy (Exchange)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 07:40:09 -0700

In implementations where BRC management is not part of the IRM but rather an
external component, it is possible for channel 31 to be taken up. I realize
that
this is not supposed to happen given a proper IRM implementation, but it is
a practical reality for some of us. In such a situation, is it acceptable
for
this external component to try to allocate a different channel and write
that
different channel number to it's own and other's BCR? I realize that this
will not work across bridges, but I don't see another alternative in the
near
term (besides making networking unavailable until channel 31 is released).

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Johansson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 1999 9:40 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: P1394a BRC input

Regards,

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.
98 Colorado Avenue
Berkeley, CA  94707

(510) 527-3926
(510) 527-3856 FAX

[email-masked]