Subject: IP/1394 WG Charter

From: "Hattig, Myron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:00:41 -0700

Description of Working Group:

The IP/1394 WG formed in the summer of 1997 after a single BOF. Our goal is
to enable TCP/IP over IEEE 1394 in devices with a wide range of
capabilities. Example devices are network-devices such as PCs, as well as,
devices such as cameras, VCRs, and TVs, which are not traditionally
networked. The WG expects these IP/1394 devices to communicate with hosts
across the global Internet and within a single home Intranet.

IEEE 1394 is a family of related documents: IEEE Std 1394-1995, the only
formally approved IEEE 1394 standard, IEEE P1394a, a supplement to the
original that contains corrections and enhancements, IEEE P1394b, an ongoing
supplement that defines higher data rates and longer distances over additional
media types, and IEEE P1394.1, ongoing work to define homogeneous 1394 to
1394 bridges. IP/1394 WG members are working informally within P1394.1
so that in the future, IP/1394 devices may be able to communicate through
1394 bridges. Also, an informal liaison exists with P1394a to insure ARP,
Multicast Channel Allocation Protocol (MCAP), and IP broadcast can utilize
the P1394a broadcast channel.

The IP/1394 WG plans to deliver the following two documents:
* IPv4 over 1394 Specification
* 1394 Extensions for DHCP (with cooperation from DHCP WG)

For only IPv4, the IPv4 over 1394 document defines:
* Encapsulation of ARP, MCAP, IP unicast, IP multicast, and IP broadcast.
* The ARP protocol that maps IP unicast addresses to 64 bit 1394 addrs.
* The MCAP protocol that maps IP multicast addresses to 1394 channels.
* A mapping of IP Broadcast addresses to the P1394a broadcast channel.
* An IEEE 1212 Unit Directory that allows dynamic loading of IP/1394 drivers.

There are no IP/1394 WG plans to work on an IPv6 over 1394 specification,
a 1394 SNMP MIB, or methods to relate 1394 services (including a 1394
isochronous service) to other Quality of Service (QoS) IETF work. Plans
may change if sufficient interest is expressed and enough individuals agree
to do the work. So far, one WG member produced an IPv6 over 1394 ID; another
WG member wrote an IP over isochronous 1394 ID. These drafts should be the
starting points for any future work on their respective topics.

In the Fall of 1999, WG members plan to have an interoperability event to test
all aspects of the IPv4 over 1394 document. The purpose of the testing is to
advance the document through the IETF standardization process.

Goals and Milestones:
Jun 99     Submit IPv4 over 1394 for publication as a Proposed Standard
Sep 99     Submit DHCP extensions for 1394 to IESG
Sep 99     Reevaluate status; recharter or shutdown WG

---

From: Myron Hattig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 22:17:42 -0800

Oh yes ... please provide feedback on the charter. Thanks -myron