Subject: IP/1394 WG status

From: "Hattig, Myron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:41:48 -0700

Hello,

For those of you anxiously awaiting the IPv4 over 1394 draft to become an
RFC, here is the status. The IETF-wide Last-Call was successful with no
comments. However, we did receive requests for several editorial changes
from
our Area Director/Advisor Erik Nordmark.  Peter, the draft editor, is
incorporating those editorial comments this week. When complete, he will
give the
draft to the Area Directors. (The latest draft, version 16, will be posted
on our
WEB page with a notification to the IP/1394 list as with past versions of
the
draft.) Once the draft is given to the Area Directors, they will present it
to the
IESG who will either advance the draft to a Proposed Standard standards
track
RFC or provide additional issues for the WG to resolve before the draft
becomes
an RFC. The best case scenario will yield a RFC by mid August.

In addition, Kenji Fujisawa presented his "DHCP Extensions for 1394" draft
to
the DHC WG at the Oslo IETF meeting. There was the usual confusion about
1394 node id's changing after bus resets. After the initial shock of that,
everyone agreed the EUI-64 in the Client Identifier is the best way to
identify
1394 devices. There remains a question about chaddr though. Because of the
ephemeral nature of node Id, Kenji's draft states the length of chaddr
equals
zero and the value is NULL. Some implementations break when the length of
chaddr equals zero. While some argue the implementations should be fixed,
others wish to place the EUI-64 in the chaddr field. This issue will be
discussed
on the DHC list. Once this issue is resolved, Kenji will update the draft
then it
will be advanced through the standard track RFC process in the DHC WG. Also,

cross posting to the IP/1394 list will occur when appropriate.

Finally, we need to determine next steps for the WG. Based on recent
discussions it appears their is interest in producing a IPv4 over 1394 isoch

channels spec, so we'll need to discuss exactly what that means.  This
discussion will result in a new WG charter or the shutting down of the WG.

Best regards,

Tony Li
Myron Hattig
WG Co-Chairs