Subject: Can anyone help me find...?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 15:30:30 -0500

I'm looking for a tutorial and standards status on the progress of phy layer
      support for Cat 5 wiring.  Can anyone on this list give me a pointer to
      such info?

Thanks in advance,

Bob Jenness - Siemens, Boca Raton, FL

---

From: "Scheel, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 17:29:17 -0500

See the IEEE P1394b web site:

http://www.zayante.com/p1394b/index.shtml

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 1999 12:31 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Can anyone help me find...?

I'm looking for a tutorial and standards status on the progress of phy layer
      support for Cat 5 wiring.  Can anyone on this list give me a pointer
to
      such info?

Thanks in advance,

---

From: Colin Whitby-Strevens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 17:52:00 -0800

Copy for anyone else interested.

Colin

--
Colin Whitby-Strevens         Email: [email-masked]
Zayante Inc                   Web: www.zayante.com
269, Mt Hermon Rd, Suite 201  Tel: +1 831 461 4948
Scotts Valley                 Mobile: +1 831 818 4028
CA 95066 USA                  Fax: +1 831 461 1394

-----Original Message-----
From: Colin Whitby-Strevens
Sent: 04 November 1999 13:36
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: Can anyone help me find...?

Hello Robert

I am chairman of the P1394b WG responsible for this. P1394b was voted to go
to sponsor ballot at the last P1394b meeting about three weeks ago,
following final editorial review. So we think we're all done!

The latest draft may be downloaded from www.zayante.com/p1394b - you should
expect another draft in a day or so, and then the final draft for ballot in
mid-December.

We're supporting the S100 data rate, using the 8B10B binary encoding and
pre-encoding scrambling (the latter saves up to 20 dB of emissions, very
important to assist product meet the FCC Class B standards with plenty of
margin). The P1394b arbitration improvements exploit the full duplex
characteristics of the medium, so that arbitration requests can be both
overlapped and pipelined. In effect, P1394b is eliminating the need for
arbitration gaps (they are still needed when a hybrid network of
1394-1995/1394a  and 1394b devices are used, but even here there are some
optimizations available via the P1394b technology).

The technology required is similar to 100BASE-T, including the need for
adaptive equalization to support 100m reach. However, as we are using binary
signaling, 1394b does NOT require adaptive thresholding - thus the required
analog is that much simpler.

I hope this is helpful to you. You'll find a lot of supporting information
and tutorial presentations etc on the 1394b web site (URL above).

With best wishes

Colin

--
Colin Whitby-Strevens         Email: [email-masked]
Zayante Inc                   Web: www.zayante.com
269, Mt Hermon Rd, Suite 201  Tel: +1 831 461 4948
Scotts Valley                 Mobile: +1 831 818 4028
CA 95066 USA                  Fax: +1 831 461 1394

> Sent: 04 November 1999 12:31
> To: [email-masked]