Subject: docsDevCpeIpMax default

From: "Bob Himlin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 19:07:40 -0700

Is it the intent of the authors that the docsDevCpeIpMax object be set to
the "Maximum Number of CPEs" configuration setting if this setting is
present in the CM configuration file?  Or does the configuration file need
to contain an explicit SET to this object to allow more than one CPE device
to connect?  What will happen if both values are given, and do not match?

The way it stands now, there are a lot of DOCSIS ATPs that set the config
file "Max CPEs", but do not set this SNMP object (since not all CMs support
the docsDevCpe group).  What may happen in this case is that a CM might
default docsDevCpeIpMax to 1 (as stated in the MIB), and only allow 1 CPE
device to connect regardless of the setting of "Maximum Number of CPEs".
Shouldn't this object just inherit the value of "Maximum Number of CPEs" to
eliminate this pitfall?  When would it be useful for docsDevCpeIpMax to ever
be different from "Maximum Number of CPEs"?

Also, what happens when docsDevCpeIpMax is set to a different value by an
SNMP manager.  I would think the dot1dTpFdbTable would have to track the
change and (a) throw out learned CPEs if it had learned more than the new
docsDevCpeIpMax value, but less than "Maximum Number of CPEs" (old
docsDevCpeIpMax), or (b) allow learning of additional CPEs if the new
docsDevCpeIpMax value is greater than "Maximum Number of CPEs".
Additionally, I think that a CM might want to prohibit SNMP SETs of
docsDevCpeIpMax to less than the number of CPEs provisioned using the config
file "CPE Ethernet MAC Address" settings.

Thoughts?

Bob Himlin, TurboNet Communications
15932 Bernardo Center Drive
San Diego, CA 92127
 [email-masked]