Subject: QOS MIB conundrum

From: "Bob Himlin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:38:12 -0700

It is possible using the DOCSIS 1.1 MAC protocol to create a classifier
which omits many of the sub-items.  An example of this would be a classifier
that only looks at TOS.  Is it reasonable for an implementation of the QOS
MIB to return noSuchInstance in response to SNMP GETs of
docsQosPktClassTable sub-entries that were not specified as part of the
setup of the classifier?  Or does the MIB need to specify DEFVALs for the
agent to return?  It might be illustrative for the MIB to reflect exactly
what was set up and not set up via the DOCSIS protocol, which is why one
might do it the first way.  On the other hand, perhaps all that is required
is a functional description of the classifier, which you could get with
suitable DEFVALs in place of the omitted items if you did it the second way.

BTW, I also agree that classifier/PHS rule linkage should be included in the
MIB.

Bob Himlin, TurboNet Communications
15932 Bernardo Center Drive
San Diego, CA 92127
 [email-masked]