Subject: (IPng 6460) Re: Host Fragmentation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 22:08:05 EDT

In a message dated 9/11/98 6:39:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email-masked] writes:

> The jumbogram support is not the only change made recently to NT's TCP/IP
>  stack.  The recent performance improvements can be attributed to several
>  factors, and not solely (and possibly not primarily, I don't have the
>  breakdown) the use of jumbo frames.

Here are the most important data of the announcement.

  Microsoft officials said they achieved 920Mbps throughput on a server
  using the AceNIC 180, a Gigabit Ethernet network interface card from
  Alteon, which also supplied the proprietary jumbo-frame technology.

[some text deleted]

  The tests were conducted using a single-processor Intel 400-MHz
  Xeon-based server and four 333-MHz Pentium II clients. An Alteon
  Gigabit Ethernet server switch connected the servers and clients.

  Earlier tests using standard Ethernet frames have shown performance
  from 500Mbps to 600Mbps, said Reza Baghai, NT performance lead
  engineer at Microsoft.

There is no mention of changing the TCP/IP stack, and in any
case the results parallel what we have seen in a Unix environment
that uses jumbogram capable gigabit adapters in the file server.

Joachim Martillo
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Telford001/">Telford Tools, Inc.</A>
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------