Subject: (IPng 6447) Re: Host Fragmentation

From: David Borman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 16:03:39 -0500 (CDT)

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 02:19:46 EDT
> Subject: (IPng 6438) Re: Host Fragmentation
> ...
> It is not an issue of a few percent.  From the articles I have
> read, with jumbogram support NT goes from being one
> of the worst performing file or web servers to being
> the best performing file or web server.

Sorry, I just can't pass this up without comment...

Many years ago, when Van Jacobson was asked for his opinion about
a scheme of using large HIPPI packets (>64K) to bundle multiple IP
packets together to improve throughput, his reply was more or less
that if you need to have huge packets to get your throughput, you
either have broken hardware or broken software.  Hmmm, I wonder
which it is for this case? :-)

Just because something seems to work doesn't necessarily make it
the right thing to do.

		-David Borman, [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------