Subject: (IPng 6442) Re: Host Fragmentation

From: Barney Wolff <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 10:08 EDT

Folks, I don't understand the terms of the debate.  The scenario of a
server-class machine with jumbo-ether capability and client(s) without
is certainly possible, but, please, how did the client know to send a
TCP MSS option much bigger than its own MTU?  So the server is stuck
sending little segs, regardless.

Barney Wolff  <[email-masked]>

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 13:51:52 -0500

> sending little segs, regardless.

Didn't you know?  The magic fragmenting box in the middle will
intercept the SYN packets and didle the MSS option!

(Now I live in fear that someone will implement this joke.)

---

From: Otel Florian-Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 14:21:24 GMT

> sending little segs, regardless.

No, server just disabled its TCP MSS option and  relys on IP Fragmentation...

:)