Subject: (IPng 6427) Re: Host Fragmentation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 14:00:18 EDT

In a message dated 9/10/98 1:56:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email-masked] writes:

> > The article attached below that I recently received suggests that
>  > the IPv6 rule of only fragmenting at the source host really is
>  > rather ill-conceived.
>  
>  Before getting all excited by this "new" revelation, it might not hurt
>  to go review an ancient article called "fragmentation considered
>  harmful" by Kent & Mogul published way back in SIGCOMM 87.

Maybe it was in 1987.  Eleven year old results may reasonably
be questioned.  In any case, if someone provides a hyperlink
I will review the article relative to more contemporary hardware.

Joachim Martillo
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Telford001/">Telford Tools, Inc.</A> 
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 14:09:43 -0400

> I will review the article relative to more contemporary hardware.

I wasn't sufficiently clear in my previous message.  The above paper
makes a strong case that fragmentation should be done by end systems
(i.e., end-to-end level) rather than by routers; I believe its
arguments and conclusions are largely still accurate today.

Thomas