Subject: (IPng 6726) Base API Last Call Edits

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 21:37:32 -0500

Bob/Steve,

Just submitted the 04 version of the API to the ID dirs.  This should be 
put forth to replace RFC 2133 as an updated Informational RFC.  
The cut-off date for drafts before Orlando is Nov 18th so this is plenty
of time to get draft 04 into the ID dir.

The draft concludes our work for the Base API and there can be no more
changes that would break binary compatibility at this point is the 
consensus of the WG and by the IPv6 implementors for this API.  IPv6 is 
now being used by customers and in process.  The changes to RFC 2133 did 
cause pain in the market.  Any further change would be devasting to the 
credibility of IPv6, and to vendor IPv6 products.

The only noteworthy editing changes to the 03 draft were as follows:

1) added IEEE 1003.1 note to section 2 Design Considerations in the
   first bullet. 

2) added IEEE 1003.1 note to Section 2.4 Structures.

Both of the above do not require anything of an implementation but are
nomenclature for a user of the API.

3) In section 3.10 added "__" to all lowercase ss variables to make
these ISO C compliant.

4) In section 4.2 Index-to-Name changed  IFNAMSIZE to IF_NAMESIZE and in
Section 7 summary of definitions.  As the IFNAMSIZE broke a vendor
implementation.

5) In section 4.4 Free memory for index removed the #include <sys/socket.h> 
as it is not needed.

6) In section 6.1 added wording from WG mail list to note the change in
error value diaognostics for getipnodebyname.

thanks
/jim

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Chris Harding <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:51:20 +0000

Hi -

As there has been no support on the ipng list for the bulk of the name
changes that I proposed, I concur with the approach taken by Jim, and
support the draft going to RFC.

>error value diaognostics for getipnodebyname.

Regards,

Chris
+++++

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
           Chris Harding
  T H E    Development Manager
 O P E N   Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading RG1 1AX, UK
G R O U P  Mailto:[email-masked]   Ph: +44 118 950 8311 x2262
           WWW: http://www.opengroup.org    Fx: +44 118 950 0110  

OSF/1, Motif, UNIX and the "X" device are registered trademarks in
the US and other countries, and IT DialTone and The Open Group are
trademarks of The Open Group.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------