Subject: (IPng 6789) RE: IPv6 link local address

From: Brian Zill <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 09:58:01 -0800

From: Yixin Jin [mailto:[email-masked]]
>
> Is there any reason not to force link local address be unqiue in the same
> node?

Let me turn that around.  Is there any reason TO force link local addresses
to be unique in the same node?

A specification such as this shouldn't be restrictive without a good reason.
There are other (and more appropriate) ways to identify an interface
(numbered ids, names, etc), so I don't see a need to make this restriction.
If something isn't needed for interoperability or correct operation, than it
should be left to implementation choice, I would think.

--Brian
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------