Subject: (IPng 6760) receiving Neighbor Ads.

From: "Benny.VanHoudt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 13:33:34 +0100 (MET)

Hello,

I had a small question concerning the IETF-draft on Neighbor
Discovery for IPv6. It concerns paragraph 7.2.5 on the
receipt of Neighbor Advertisements.

The last paragraph of this section (7.2.5) starts with
"The above rules ensure that the cache is updated when the ..."
and continues with
"If none of the above apply, ..."
My question is when does none of the above apply ?

If I understood well (which I probably didn't) the Override
flag is clear is such a case, the Target Link-layer address
is present and differs from that one in the cache (and the
reachability state differs from INCOMPLETE). 
This can't be correct because this case was dealt with in
one of the paragraphs preceding the one quoted above.

Can anyone help?

B.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Benny Van Houdt,
University of Antwerp
Dept. Math. and Computer Science
PATS - Performance Analysis of Telecommunication 
       Systems Research Group
Universiteitsplein, 1
B-2610 Antwerp
Belgium
email: [email-masked]	
--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 11:52:58 +0900

>>>>> On Wed, 18 Nov 1998 13:33:34 +0100 (MET), 
>>>>> "Benny.VanHoudt" <[email-masked]> said:

> one of the paragraphs preceding the one quoted above.

My understanding is that "If none of the above apply" is a negation of
the condition at the first line of the same paragraph(i.e. either
when the Neighbor...).

So I think it does not contradict your understanding.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Comm. and Info. Systems Research Labs.
					Toshiba R&D Center
					[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------