Subject: (IPng 6806) ipng perf

From: Emre Celebi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 19:32:03 +0200

Does anyone know where I can find ipng performance results or ipv6/ipv4
performance comparison?
Emre.

--
Emre Celebi, Bogazici University CmpE Department
Network Research Laboratories. Research assitant.
Phone:+90 212 2631540 ext 2227 | Mobile: +90 532 4855536
http://yunus.cmpe.boun.edu.tr/~emre

---

From: Dan McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 10:30:11 -0800 (PST)

> Does anyone know where I can find ipng performance results or ipv6/ipv4

I can point you at the paper we did at NRL (back when I was at NRL).  It's
from the January, 1996 USENIX, and while it talks more about implementation,
it does have some preliminary performance results:

	Atkinson, R. J., McDonald, D. L., Phan, B. G., Metz, C. W., Chin,
	    K. C., "Implementation of IPv6 in 4.4 BSD," in Proceedings of the
	    USENIX 1996 Annual Technical Conference, San Diego, January,
	    1996.

Keep in mind, the numbers in that paper are preliminary, and I suspect that
the difference between v4 and v6 has slimmed, especially with bigger cache
lines, etc. that are in more recent machines.

Dan
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Craig Metz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 09:01:27 -0500

>it does have some preliminary performance results:
...
>lines, etc. that are in more recent machines.

  Also, in that version of the implementation, as with most currently existing
implementations, the current emphasis is on building something that works
(maybe even correctly), not necessarily on building something that goes fast.

  Many people fail to realize that the IPv4 implementations we use today are
the product of decades of optimizations and performance insights. IPv6
implementations are going to have to mature over time, just like IPv4
implementations had to. Of course, we hope that they will reach the current
state of the art in a lot less time than it took us to come up with the current
state of the art in the first place ;)

  In theory, it should be possible to build IPv6 implementations that go at
least as fast as IPv4 implementations. The downside to IPv6 is you have to
play with bigger addresses and the baggage that comes with that, but the upshot
is that there's less overall work to be done per packet (because the IPv6
header checksum is gone and because the fragmentation stuff is moved out of
the base header).

									-Craig