Subject: (IPng 6688) Non-Namespace comments on the IPv6 Basic API

From: Chris Harding <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 21:41:30 +0000

Hi -

Here some comments on the draft Basic API to IPv6 that do not relate to
namespace usage.

1. In sections 6.1, 6.2 and 6.4 the synopses of getipnodebyname(),
getipnodebyaddr()
   and gai_strerror() give both <sys/socket.h> and <netdb.h> as include files.
   <sys/socket.h> is not needed, and <netdb.h> should be the only include
file for
   all three functions.

2. In section 6.3, the synopsis of freehostent() gives <sys/socket.h> as
include file;
   this should be changed to <netdb.h>.

3. In section 6.6, the synopsis of inet_pton() and inet_ntop() gives both
   <sys/socket.h> and <arpa/inet.h> as include files. <sys/socket.h> is not
needed,
   and <arpa/inet.h> should be the only include file.

Regards,

Chris
+++++

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
           Chris Harding
  T H E    Development Manager
 O P E N   Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading RG1 1AX, UK
G R O U P  Mailto:[email-masked]   Ph: +44 118 950 8311 x2262
           WWW: http://www.opengroup.org    Fx: +44 118 950 0110  

OSF/1, Motif, UNIX and the "X" device are registered trademarks in
the US and other countries, and IT DialTone and The Open Group are
trademarks of The Open Group.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 22:10:28 -0500

Chris,

>   <sys/socket.h> is not needed, and <netdb.h> should be the only include

You need sys/socket.h to support access to AF_INET and AF_INET6.

>   this should be changed to <netdb.h>.

This is valid.

>   and <arpa/inet.h> should be the only include file.

You need sys/socket.h to support access to AF_INET and AF_INET6.

thanks
/jim

Regards,

Chris
+++++