Subject: (IPng 7351) Re: The expression of IPv6 addresses.

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 09:14:12 -0800

> I remember looking through some old mail archives a couple of 
> months ago
> from circa 1994 discussing this problem, and the general 
> concensus seemed
> to be that almost any change in syntax was just too darn hard for URL
> parsers.  Is this no longer the case?  (I hope.)

IE5 might well be a different story, but I found it to be quite easy to
modify IE4 to understand the [] syntax.

Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:49:35 +0000

The problem as expressed by the Webheads is not that modifying
IE and Netscape is hard, but that there are literally hundreds
of URL parsers "out there" in Perl scripts and the like, and
IPv6 literals with or without [] break all of those.

   Brian