Subject: (IPng 7168) V6 Deployment Work and Mail List Activity

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 10:40:34 -0500

Folks,

At this time we cannot continue to bombard ipng, ngtrans, and 6bone with
IPv6 deployment mail.  

There is a new IPv6 workers list set up that is a NON-IETF list.  One
cannot get on this list without being supported by an existing person on
that list.  We want to be able to speak freely and it is a workers list.
For users and folks who need information on how to get Ipv6 deployed we
have set up an IPv6 users list (see attached mail) which anyone can
join.

To request being on the IPv6 deployment workers list send mail to
[email-masked].  Somone will respond to you.

We will continue to send relevant information to the ipng, ngtrans, and
6bone list such as meeting minutes that are public and any technical
work we want to share. But we need to chill as many of us are now getting
4 messages each time we talk about IPv6 deployment.  We also will have
other services like WEB Server, Deployment Scenarios, Marketing
Presentations, Public Domain Code Pointers, Implementation Roll-Out
Status, etc.  We also will be setting up an IPv6 World Wide forum to
promote and explain the deployment of IPv6, which is in process now.
Our objective is to reach the CTO level of Fortune 500 Worldwide
Companies in time to assist them to adopt and deploy IPv6.

This work also does not replace the fine work being done on the IPv6
Implementors list which is also a NON-IETF list.

p.s. Thank You Perry Metzger..................

Sincerely,
/jim

---------------------------------------
[Please forward this message to places that might be interested in it.]

A mailing list has been established for early adopters of IPv6 who
need help setting up their IPv6 based networks and network stacks,
connecting to the 6bone, getting applications to work with IPv6 and
similar problems.

The mailing list, [email-masked], may be subscribed to by sending mail 
to [email-masked] with the words "subscribe users" in the body of
the message.

Note that although developers of IPv6 stacks are strongly encouraged
to join the mailing list to help the early adopters, this list is not
intended for discussions of IPv6 stack development issues -- it is
there to help the users of the technology.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Peter Dawson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 18:26:40 +0400

Jim , Perry

I'm a little confused ....clarifications
requested.

> to [email-masked] with the words "subscribe users" in the

DO I read two seperate lists here : [email-masked]
[email-masked] ?? are there two different lists here, if so
whats the
difference ??

/pete
ps. I subscribed to users.. should I also subcribe to deployment
??

---

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Feb 1999 12:00:07 -0500

Peter Dawson <[email-masked]> writes:
> whats the difference ??

"deployment" is for people discussing how to market v6, how to make it 
easier for people to use, how to get our web site snazzier, etc. It
really isn't intended for the general public, although it is now open.

"users" is for people who want to deploy v6 in their environments
(even if that environment is just their home!) and need help doing
so.

Perry