Subject: (IPng 7309) redirect validation

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 21:46:26 -0800

Here's a relatively minor interpretation issue that came up at Connectathon
earlier this week...

In section 8.1 of the ND spec, one of the rules for validation of a redirect
is:
      - The IP source address of the Redirect is the same as the current
        first-hop router for the specified ICMP Destination Address.

I would interpret this to mean
1. If there is already a destination cache entry for the destination, then
the source of the redirect is the current next-hop neighbor in the
destination cache entry.
2. If there is not an existing destination cache entry, then the source of
the redirect is a plausible next-hop neighbor for the destination. Eg, the
source of the redirect is on the default router list.

Does this sound right?
Just checking...

Thanks,
Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------