Subject: (IPng 7189) IPv6 Packet Accounting Schemes

From: "Eben Scanlon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 15:27:57 -0500

Hello,

I am on the ipng mailing list and I am also currently setting up a Linux
box to connect to the 6Bone.  So far, I have had no problems, and I have
appreciated the wealth of information that is available on this topic.

Lately, I have started to wonder what sort of packet accounting schemes
are set up on the 6Bone.  I know that IPv6 enables packet prioritization
and QoS through the flow label in the packet header.  However, it seems
that no one has talked about the capabilities of routers to keep track
of these packets and potentially apply some sort of mediation as the
packets flow across heterogeneous networks.

Are the IPv6 routers capable of keeping track of packets with different
flow labels, and if so, what schemes are currently in place for this
accounting mechanism?

Thank you in advance for your replies.  Sorry if this question is naive
or silly.

Cheers,
Eben

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------