Subject: SNMP Transport Method, snmpDomains value for IPv6?

From: "Peder Chr. Norgaard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 21:00:25 +0100 (MET)

I am not sure whether this is an IPv6 or SNMP topic - thus I've chosen
to put the question to both lists.

By now I have implemented (most of) the newly issued IPv6-related MIBs

- then I would very much like to *run* SNMP over IPv6

That in itself is not difficult.  But for various SNMP-internal
housekeeping purposes I find that an extension to the SNMPv2-TM
definitions is needed - one that specify a transport domain "UDP over
IPv6" and a mapping of the related address to a replacement for the
TAddress textual convention.  I find nothing of the sort in the
IPv6-related MIBs.

If I understand the IETF process right, this more or less calls for a
re-issuing of the SNMPv2-TM specification; at the very least the issuing
of a new snmpDomains value from IANA. Is that a process that is
being started anywhere?

best regards
				--peder chr.

Peder Chr. Nørgaard                   System Developer, M. Sc.
Telebit Communications A/S            tel: +45 86 28 81 77 - 49
Fabrikvej 11                          fax: +45 86 28 81 86
DK-8260 Viby J   Denmark              e-mail: [email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------