Subject: (IPng 7275) Re: Ipv6 Migration

From: Chris Harding <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 13:51:58 +0000

Dear Itojun,

>
>>I had a thought about the API that may be "off the wall" but that could
>>enable existing applications to work with IPv6 with no change whatsoever.
>>The advantages of this for v6 deployment would be enormous.
>(snip)
>>It does not affect the IPv6 extensions to sockets, or the recommendation
>>that new applications should use them in order to make use of IPv6
>>features. It is simply a change of behavior of the core API in the presense
>>of IPv6.
>
>	I believe someone can implement fake libc to implement your idea.
>
>	Also I would like to note that the approach is similar to
>	draft-tsuchiya-ipv4-ipv6-translator-00. (worth a look)
>
Yes there is similarity  - thanks for the pointer!

The big difference is that this approach is implemented in the host, not in a
gateway or router. The host is an IPv6 host, so we are talking about IPv4
applications in an IPv6 host, not about an IPv4 host in an IPv6 ocean. The
address mapper and translator functions needed in the host would be similar 
to the ones described in draft-tsuchiya-ipv4-ipv6-translator-00.

Other points are that

 - there is no impact on DNS

 - since this is all done in the host, IPSEC can still work.

>>The questions are:
>>   Will this work?
>>   Should it be required behavior for conforming UNIX implementations?
>
>	I believe this will work, but I think we do not need to/want to
>	mandate this.
>
The benefit of making it a requirement is that users who buy a UNIX-branded
system will know that their existing applications are guaranteed to work
with IPv6.

Regards,

Chris
+++++

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
           Chris Harding
  T H E    Development Manager
 O P E N   Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading RG1 1AX, UK
G R O U P  Mailto:[email-masked]   Ph: +44 118 950 8311 x2262
           WWW: http://www.opengroup.org    Fx: +44 118 950 0110  

OSF/1, Motif, UNIX and the "X" device are registered trademarks in
the US and other countries, and IT DialTone and The Open Group are
trademarks of The Open Group.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 09:22:16 -0500

Forget this UNIX branded stuff.  I don't want to get into it but there
is a lot more potential IPv6 users using something other than UNIX.
And UNIX is becoming extinct on the desk top.  Linux might prevail
though.

Are you trying to find more work for TOG or something?

/jim

---

From: Kazuaki Tsuchiya <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 17:28:25 +0900

Dear Chris,

> to the ones described in draft-tsuchiya-ipv4-ipv6-translator-00.

Please see also draft-ietf-ngtrans-dual-stack-hosts-00 in addition
to draft-tsuchiya-ipv4-ipv6-translator-00.

There will be what you want, I believe.

>  - there is no impact on DNS

Right!

>  - since this is all done in the host, IPSEC can still work.

At this point hosts' implementation surpasses routers' one, I think.

------ Additional info -------

We have 2 implementations.
One is routers' implementation, and the other is hosts'.
Both of them have already worked well.
Please see the following URL.

(1)Hosts' implementation
http://www.hitachi.co.jp/Prod/comp/network/pexv6-e.htm
# You can get the free evaluation kit for Windows PCs here.

(2)Routers' implementation
http://www.hitachi.co.jp/Prod/comp/network/nr60e.htm

> system will know that their existing applications are guaranteed to work

That's just exactly what I want to say.

Best regards.

-- Kazuaki Tsuchiya.

--------------------------------------------------------
Kazuaki Tsuchiya (E-mail:[email-masked])
  Hitachi, Ltd.  Server & Network Development Division
    Phone:+81-462-32-2111(ex.2458)   Fax:+81-462-35-8324
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Kazuaki Tsuchiya <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 18:19:34 +0900

Dear Chris and IPv6 folks,

> That's just exactly what I want to say.

Sorry. I made a mistake.

What I wanted to say is the following.

We do not need to make this mandatory.
But this is one of useful migration ways for end-users.
There is a meaning in having many people know this.

Best regards.
 
-- Kazuaki Tsuchiya.