Subject: (IPng 7147) Protocol Action: Transmission of IPv6 over IPv4 Domains without Explicit Tunnels to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 13:14:02 -0500

The IESG has approvedTransmission of IPv6 over IPv4 Domains without
Explicit Tunnels <draft-ietf-ipngwg-6over4-02.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the IPNG Working Group.  The
IESG contact persons are Jeffrey Burgan and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
This document specifies how to run IPv6 over an IPv4 multicast
domain. The entire IPv4 cloud is treated as a virtual local link.
The motivation for this method is to allow isolated IPv6 hosts,
located on a physical link which has no directly connected IPv6
router, to become fully functional IPv6 hosts by using an IPv4
domain that supports IPv4 multicast as their virtual local
link. It uses IPv4 multicast as a "virtual Ethernet."

This document specifies the frame format for transmission of IPv6
packets and the method of forming IPv6 link-local addresses over IPv4
domains.  It also specifies the content of the Source/Target Link-
layer Address option used in the Router Solicitation, Router
Advertisement, Neighbor Solicitation, and Neighbor Advertisement and
Redirect messages, when those messages are transmitted on an IPv4
multicast network.

Working Group Summary

There was consensus in the WG for this approach.

Protocol Quality

This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.

Note to RFC Editor:

RFC 1972 is mentioned in the text, but is not listed in the
references. Please add a reference.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------