Subject: (IPng 7304) Mobile IPv6 Binding Acks.

From: "Benny.VanHoudt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 10:15:48 +0100 (MET)

This was probably notice before, but just in case:

In the Mobile IPv6 Internet-Draft of 18/11/98 it is stated (line 6)
in section 5.2 that a binding acknowledgement MUST be returned
upon receiving a binding Update with A = 1.
Later in section 8.5 it is mentioned (line 2) that it SHOULD be returned.

Which one is correct?

[email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Dave Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 22:09:44 -0500

>Later in section 8.5 it is mentioned (line 2) that it SHOULD be returned.

The intention is that, in general, you naturally always return
a Binding Acknowledgement when you receive a Binding Update with
the Acknowledgement (A) bit set.  Thus, it sort of should be a MUST.
However, the general convention seems to be to write such requirements
as a SHOULD, so that a node has the slight option of not sending
an acknowledgement in strange cases, such as when it is being
flooded with Binding Updates.  So, the MUST you noticed in Section
5.2 is really supposed to be a SHOULD, with this definition of SHOULD.

Thanks for catching this smal inconsistency.  I'll fix the text.

					Dave