Subject: (IPng 7563) RE: mutlihomed sites

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 15:23:53 -0700

> 1) Considering a multihomed site, is it sufficient to have all nodes
> belonging to the site have global IPv6 addresses incorporating
> prefixes of all NLAs/sTLAs/etc to which the site connects? 
> 
> So, if there are two connection points to the internet, AAAA::/28 and
> BBBB::/28, then interfaces of each node inside the site would have two
> addresses AAAA::host_id and BBBB::host_id assigned. Right or 
> wrong? :-)

Yup, that's how it should work.

There's no shortage of addresses, so we can use multiple addresses to make
routing easier.
 
> 2) If the assumption (1) is correct, then what happens to routing of
> packets? Based on what assumption should a particular node choose
> which of its two addresses to use for better efficiency/throughput/etc
> while communicating with nodes outside the site? 

Yes, it exacerbates the problems of source & destination address selection.
I have an ID out talking about source address selection and there's been
some recent discussion on this list. If you have comments I'd love to hear
them.

See
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-draves-ipngwg-simple-srcaddr-00.tx
t.

Thanks,
Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Vitaly Chipitsyn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 16:08:55 -0400 (EDT)

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-draves-ipngwg-simple-srcaddr-00.tx

From my understanding, the draft primarily describes ways to determine 
which source address to use based on _where_ the destination node is,
as related to the sender.

What seems to be interesting is how to determine _which_ of several
available global addresses to use to get better reachibility to an
outside node.

Also, if a link that is being used by a long-term _connection_ becomes
overwhelmed with traffic, while another link (available through use of
another global address of sender) is not quite loaded, that would be
very nice to be able to switch connection to use that other address
for further communication. It sounds very artificial, but wouldn't it
be useful for interactive type of traffic? Maybe this problem is more
appropriate for the TCP WG.

--vc