Subject: (IPng 7590) ipng list maintenance request

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 17:14:36 -0400

I like to request a small change in how this list is run.

Currently, sequence numbers are added to the subject field of each
message sent to the list. My recollection is that this was done to
allow folks to easily determine whether they were getting all the
messages that were being posted. I personally have not found this to
be useful, and I don't recall any other mailing list that does this.

On the downside, the sequence number makes it pretty much impossible
for mail readers to (sensibly) sort folders based on the subject.
This is a moderate pain for those with large folders.

Would the list be favorably inclined to dropping the automatic
insertion of sequence numbers to the subject field?

Thomas
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Grenville Armitage <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 17:35:30 -0400

Thomas Narten wrote:
	[..]
> insertion of sequence numbers to the subject field?

Yes, please lets drop those sequence numbers!

cheers,
gja
________________________________________________________________________
Grenville Armitage                            http://mh005.infi.net/~gja
Bell Labs, Lucent Technologies
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 15:45:17 -0700

Thomas,

I will what can be done.  Maybe the sequence numbers could be moved to the
end of the subject line.

Bob

---

From: Ramin Sepehr Rad <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 15:09:59 -0400 (EDT)

Thomas,

I believe there is a more significant reason for having the sequence numbers
and that is referring to certain postings by their numbers.

As Mr. Hinden suggested in his posting (IPng 7595 :), perhaps the sequence
number can be added to the end of the subject line.

Furthermore, it would be nice to see followup messages increment the
number after the decimal point. Something like this:

	Subject : ipng list maintenance request (IPng 7590)
	Subject : ipng list maintenance request (IPng 7590.1)
	Subject : ipng list maintenance request (IPng 7590.2)

etc.

Should be fairly simple to implement.

-ramin

ps: Please don't send me any flames on ARIN's ticket system. :)

---

From: Grenville Armitage <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 16:07:54 -0400

Ramin,

Sequence numbers are a pain for subject-threaded emailers, and
you can refer to past email by date and time if its
really necessary for context. Sorting by send date within
a subject-threaded list also provides intra-thread sequencing.

I'll be thrilled to see them gone.

cheers,
gja

--

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 14:27:50 -0700

The IPng w.g. chairs have asked the IPng list maintainer to remove the
sequence numbers from subject lines.  As you can see from this email the
sequence numbers are now gone.  We investigated moving the sequence numbers
elsewhere, but concluded it was not worth the effort to implement.

Bob

---

From: Robert Honore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 06:55:56 -0400

Dear Thomas,

Yes, I would be in favour of dropping the IPng sequence number from the subject
line.

Yours sincerely,
Robert Honore.