Subject: (IPng 7582) RE: Multicast Listener Discovery timing question

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 10:25:23 -0700

> As I said in a previous mail, I suppose the rationale for using MLD
> on sollicited node multicast groups is that even though 
> multicast addresses
> whose scope is 2 should not be routed, there can be level 2 
> bridges/switches
> which are performing multicast selective forwarding, and thus 
> engage in the
> mld protocol.

Gosh, I thought that MLD should *not* be used for link-local multicast
addresses. Our implementation does not send MLD messages when it joins
solicited-node multicast groups.

Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Steve Deering <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 11:54:17 -0700

>solicited-node multicast groups.

Tsk, tsk.  You should read the spec more carefully.

Steve