Subject: getipnodebyname() and numeric address string arguments with various non-zero flags

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 13:13:22 -0400

From RFC 2553, I gather that it makes no difference what is passed for the flags
parameter on getipnodebyname() when the type of the numeric address string
matches the address family parameter.  Right?

So getipnodebyname("FE80::1000:whatever",AF_INET6,AI_DEFAULT,&error_num) on a
system that doesn't have a local IPv6 interface will succeed, but the
application won't be able to use the resulting address.  Right?

If this is correct, perhaps future documentation should be more clear about
getipnodebyname() ignoring flags for this scenario?

Thanks for any comments,

Jeff Trawick, [email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 14:24:36 -0400

>matches the address family parameter.  Right?

No.  AI_V4MAPPED, AI_ADDRCONFIG, and AI_ALL still can be used.

>application won't be able to use the resulting address.  Right?

No.   An error should be returned because AF_INET6 is specified and no
IPv6 interface exists.

AI_DEFAULT == (AI_V4MAPPED | AI_ADDRCONFIG)

So one could get back a mapped address.

But link-local addresses are not kept in the DNS at this time.

>getipnodebyname() ignoring flags for this scenario?

I think your asking for the counter to what we did describe too?

/jim