Subject: Re: ICMPv6 Node Information Queries (aka Who-Are-You)

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:39:00 -0400

In message <[email-masked]>, "Matt Crawford" writes:
> >   It'd be nice if you used the internet checksum or some other function tha
> t
> > would need to already exist on the system rather than pulling in a new
> > function.
> 
> I agree in principle, but I don't think 16 bits is enough for this
> purpose.

How about (truncated) MD5?  Its strength is overkill for this purpose,
but if any machine with IPSEC (i.e., any IPv6 machine) will have the
code in the kernel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------