Subject: Question RFC 2460 IPv6 Next Header values

From: "h.a.aalderink" <[email-masked]> (by way of Fred Baker <[email-masked]>)
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 07:34:01 -0400

I am studying the RFC 2460 IPng as a part of my master thesis.

I understand the Hop-by-hop options  Next header value and the
destination options Next Header value are the same (zero). Is this
right?
If so, it would not be possible to have destination options without
using other extension headers. Since it would be the first extension
header and therefore processed as hop-by-hop options.

Is this how it is meant to be?

_______________________________________________________________________________
Henri

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Murali Krishna <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 11:05:45 +0530 (IST)

Thats wrong.

Hop-by-hop option header is identified by value 0 in the preceding
header's next header field. similarly for destination options it is 60.

murali.