Subject: ICMPv6 Node Information Queries (aka Who-Are-You)

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:31:47 -0500

I just sent in revised draft which includes the choice of inquiring
about a name rather than an address.  I tentatively invented a
multicast address space to send such queries to, forming the address
by concatenating FF02:0:0:0:0:2::/96 and the CRC-32 of the first
component of the DNS name being queried about.  Many other choices
are possible, most notably FF02:0:0:0:0:1:FE00::/104 plus a CRC-24 or
a truncated CRC-32.

Discussion?
				Matt
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Craig Metz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:12:50 -0400

>are possible, most notably FF02:0:0:0:0:1:FE00::/104 plus a CRC-24 or

  It'd be nice if you used the internet checksum or some other function that
would need to already exist on the system rather than pulling in a new
function.

									-Craig

---

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 15:27:05 -0500

> would need to already exist on the system rather than pulling in a new

I agree in principle, but I don't think 16 bits is enough for this
purpose.

---

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:42:10 -0400

> would need to already exist on the system rather than pulling in a new

Agreed.  Those of us building stacks for small boxes will like you
better for it.  

Either the internet checksum if 16 bits is enough, or a truncated
MD5/SHA1 (because the latter is already in use by ipsec) comes to
mind.

						- Bill