Subject: RE: Question RFC 2460 IPv6 Next Header values

From: Brian Zill <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 14:39:11 -0700

Henri Aalderlink writes:

> I am studying the RFC 2460 IPng as a part of my master thesis.
> 
> I understand the Hop-by-hop options  Next header value and the
> destination options Next Header value are the same (zero).
> Is this right?

No, the preceeding header will have a Next Header value of 60 (decimal) to
indicate that it is followed by a destination options header.  It is only
for hop-by-hop options that the preceeding header will have a Next Header
value of 0.  See the first paragraph of Section 4.6 in RFC 2460.

Hope this eliminates the confusion.

--Brian

> If so, it would not be possible to have destination options without
> using other extension headers. Since it would be the first extension
> header and therefore processed as hop-by-hop options.
> 
> Is this how it is meant to be?
> 
> ______________________________________________________________
> _________________
> Henri
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------