Subject: IPv6 work on flow label

From: Peter Tattam <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 11:40:18 +1000 (EST)

Could someone outline current status of work related to using the flow label.
I am interested in exploring some ideas using it.

Peter

--
Peter R. Tattam                            [email-masked]
Managing Director,    Trumpet Software International Pty Ltd
Hobart, Australia,  Ph. +61-3-6245-0220,  Fax +61-3-62450210

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 23:09:50 -0400

Hi Peter,

>I am interested in exploring some ideas using it.

We use it for RSVP IPv6 and RAPI (api for rsvp).  Its also part of the
kernel implementation.  See RSVP 2205 and 
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/rsvp-charter.html and the
applicability statements to RSVP.  Also see diff serve specs talking
about integrating diff srv and rsvp (I have not looked at the very
latest here just yet but its on my list).  It saves a lookup and
additional state with IPv6 than IPv4 as the flowspec is in the header.

If we can get a couple of IPv6 rsvp implementations up and running we
can test them at UNH interoperability test events too.

I don't know of any experiments yet?  But I think we need some and I
think once the diff srv / integrated services / rsvp parts settle down I
think there are some experiments to have in there.

But if you want to use it at your own risk it could be used on an
Intranet and used by a private application. 

Though Ipv6 does not improve QOS or make it possible (directly) which is
the wrong message, it does have enabling functions and potentials being
a new protocol to make QOS more efficient from an implementation view
and its also inherent to sockaddr_in6 data structure.  But I will go
there another day as I am working on slides/paper of why IPv6 enables
QOS.  Also QOS means different things to different folks and business
issues I have found out over the last year.

Would like to hear your ideas for sure here or privately.

/jim

---

From: Steve Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 09:36:01 -0400

> I am interested in exploring some ideas using it.

See draft-berson-rsvp-ipv6-fl-00.txt (.ps)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Steven L. Blake                  <[email-masked]>
Ericsson IP Infrastructure             (919)468-8466 x232