Subject: Mobile Policy Table

From: Charles Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 09:18:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

During the recent ipng working group meeting,  we had a long
discussion about multi-homing.  Selection of source IP address
is an interesting problem for applications running on a multi-homed
computer.  I mentioned that there had been some relevant work done
at Stanford, in the context of Mobile IP (for IPv4).  In that
context, the application might under some circumstances prefer
to use the computer's home address, or in other circumstances
it might prefer to use the more ephemeral care-of address.

The following paper discusses the use of a proposed Mobile Policy
Table to assist with making the selection:

	X. Zhao, C. Castelluccia, and M. Baker, "Flexible Network Support for
	Mobility." Proceedings of Mobicom'98, Dallas, Texas, October 1998.

This paper is available at:
	http://mosquitonet.stanford.edu/

I think that such an approach might be adapted for solving the
problem of selecting a source IP address for general multi-homed
computers.  Having a care-of address and a home address is just
one case of multi-homing, albeit a case with a fairly clear set
of criteria for making the selection.

Regards,
Charlie P.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------