Subject: Traffic shaping with IPv6

From: Mark Sandstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 14:50:58 -0700

RFC 2463 (ICMPv6) does not define an ICMPv6 message corresponding to
ICMP (RFC 792) Source Quench message. In addition, RFC 2463 specifies
that "an ICMPv6 message MUST NOT be generated if a packet is dropped due

to congestion". As it looks like ICMPv6 does not provide means for
traffic volume control, my question is: what in general are the means
for network congestion control with IPv6?

In particular, my problem is:
What action should a router take to prevent a buffer overflow e.g. in a
case that it receives IPv6 packets (from several sources) destined
towards the same output port with a cumulated volume greater than the
output capacity of that port?

Any help and pointers to documents discussing this subject are greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark Sandstrom
e-mail: [email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 08:36:37 -0500

Read RFC 2475 for this question.

  Brian

-- 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian E Carpenter (IAB Chair)
Program Director, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM Internet Div
On assignment for IBM at http://www.iCAIR.org 
Non-IBM email: [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Steve Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 10:36:23 -0400

And RFC 2309 as well.

> Read RFC 2475 for this question.

[snip]

> > output capacity of that port?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Steven L. Blake                  <[email-masked]>
Ericsson IP Infrastructure             (919)468-8466 x232