Subject: RE: ND for link-local addresses on multi-homed hosts.

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 12:38:31 -0700

This just changed in MSR IPv6 release 1.3.

In previous releases, I was hard-core - to send to a link-local address, the
application had to specify the outgoing interface.

But this caused much confusion and inconvenience.

In release 1.3, this is still the default behavior. But:

- You can create routes for link-local addresses to specify what interface
they should be on-link to. For example you can specify a default interface
for link-local addresses with a route for fe80::/10, or you can be more
specific if you wish. (The same goes for multicast destination addresses and
ff00::/8.)

- You can send to your own link-local addresses without specifying an
outgoing interface. (If you are unfortunate enough to have non-unique
link-local addresses, it will just pick one of the interfaces.) Or you can
specify an outgoing interface and override this.

Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------