Subject: Re: AN interesting article. FYI...

From: Cyndi Jung <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 15:15:04 -0700

Class A domain name?

I think for the rest, you can substitute DECNET for IPv4 
and IP for IPv6 and 1988 for 1999 ... it reads the same.

Some things never change.

Cyndi

At 02:37 PM 8/26/99 +0100, Jeff Williams wrote:
>All,
>
>  One might want to tke a look at this...
>
>http://www.planetit.com/techcenters/docs/advanced_ip_services/opinion/PIT19
990816S0013
>
>Regards,
>--
>
>Jeffrey A. Williams
>Spokesman INEGroup (Over 95k members strong!)
>CEO/DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.
>Information Network Eng. Group. INEG. INC.
>E-Mail [email-masked]
>Contact Number:  972-447-1894
>Address: 5 East Kirkwood Blvd. Grapevine Texas 75208
>
>
>--------------------------------------------------------------------
>IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
>IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
>FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
>Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
>--------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 16:43:38 -0700

Cyndi,

>and IP for IPv6 and 1988 for 1999 ... it reads the same.

The paragraph really speaks for itself:

 "The other argument for IPv6 is that it would let us solve the
  forthcoming domain-name-address shortage. Yes, we're running out
  of domain-name addresses, but perhaps we can address that by
  reducing the number of Internet addresses you get with each
  domain name. Throwing blocks of 10,000 addresses in with each
  Class A name should be a Class A felony; why not just blocks of
  1,000 addresses, each of which can handle up to 10,000 virtual
  addresses in subnets? Let's make the current holders of Class A
  domain names cough up some of their addresses."

A little confused....

Bob