Subject: Re: AN interesting article. FYI... contd

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 11:42:58 -0400 (EDT)

research is good - I did a search and came up with the same but that was
after I sent the note

Scott

-------

---

From: Jeff Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 09:39:20 +0100

Scott and all,

  Let me ask you all something.  Why the keen interest in debunking
this article and it's author?  Sure, he didn't use proper terminology,
but other than that I found him to be fairly accurate...

Scott Bradner wrote:

> >From [email-masked] Fri Aug 27 11:40:07 1999
> From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
> To: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: AN interesting article. FYI... contd
> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 11:39:46 -0400
> Sender: [email-masked]
>
> In message <[email-masked]>, Scott Bradner writes:
> >
> > the author's bio line
> >
> >   Richard Adhikari is a leading journalist on advanced-IP issues for several
> >   major publications, including The Wall Street Journal, and is a regular
> >   contributor to Planet IT.
> >
> > does not speak well for the wsj
>
> Or perhaps for Mr. Adhikari -- the online WSJ search function turns up no
> IP-related articles by him since at least 1990.  (As a control, I fed the
> names of other WSJ reporters into the same search page -- those attempts
> resulted in many hits.)  I also ran the same search on all major U.S.
> newspapers and business publications -- still no hits.  But I did find some
> hits in Computerworld, Information Week, and the like.  It's possible that
> the WSJ has picked up some stories he wrote for other publications; other
> control searches did not turn up authors of, for example, AP wire stories
> that the Journal carried.
>
>                 --Steve Bellovin
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
> IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
> FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
> Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
> --------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
Spokesman INEGroup (Over 95k members strong!)
CEO/DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.
Information Network Eng. Group. INEG. INC.
E-Mail [email-masked]
Contact Number:  972-447-1894
Address: 5 East Kirkwood Blvd. Grapevine Texas 75208

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Grenville Armitage <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 13:12:13 -0400

> but other than that I found him to be fairly accurate...

Improper terminology? Misleading falsehoods.

Falsehoods tend to be offensive when used to buttress an attack.
They waste time and money when the purveyor of said falsehoods has
reached your decision makers, and you need to back track and reconstruct
the truth.

Sufficient?

gja

---

From: Jeff Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:40:13 +0100

Grenville and all,

  Why do *I* need to backtrack?  I did not write the article.  I only
posted it for informational purposes...  Why the hostility?  And
respectfully, I disagree with you regarding the article is a basic
falsehood.

Regards,

---

From: Grenville Armitage <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:16:30 -0400

no need to be defensive, the word "you" in my email doesn't
refer to _you_ specifically.

gja

-- 
________________________________________________________________________
Grenville Armitage                            http://mh005.infi.net/~gja
Bell Labs Research, Lucent Technologies
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Grenville Armitage <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:22:29 -0400

Jeff Williams wrote:
	[..]
>  And

While we're discussing accuracy, you can disagree with that straw
man if you like, but dont attribute it to me. I note that there's
often little difference between misusing terminology and creating
misleading falsehoods. You admit the author didn't use proper
terminology. Clearly I shouldn't have used such shorthanded notion
in my initial reply to you.

gja

---

From: Jeff Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 11:39:27 +0100

Grenwille and all,

  Ok.  Just seemed that way in you previous post is all...  >;)
As I am a fairly large stock holder in Lucent, I was beginning to
wonder....

Regards,