Subject: RE: IPv6 Src/Dst Address Pairing

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 21:16:56 -0700

> Per mapping cache from kernel space to user space.  Not obvious to me
> with a little checking.  But I will talk with our VM folks.
> Vacation is playing havoc around here until September though 
> and in the
> IETF I am noticing.  I will be splitting myself soon for a bit.

Jim, when I referred to mapping kernel memory into user space, I was only
talking about a fast way for user code to get at the current time. (If you
check, you might find that your OS already does this. Many do.) I was NOT
suggesting that you create new mappings so that user code could read IPv6
source addresses directly out of the kernel. I would suggest that you use an
ioctl or some such for that purpose.

Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:07:25 -0400

Rich,

>ioctl or some such for that purpose.

Hmmm.  I knew that.  I would suggest I was using ioctls and mapping
memory before you went to college.  But thanks.

/jim