Subject: Re: IPv6 and Dynamic DNS

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 11:41:44 -0500

> as I remember neighbor discovery, a client can passively addrconf (to coin a
> verb).
> 
> It sure would be nice if you could force some sort of "hard" addrconf so
> that servers on the network would know who is "on a wire", this would allow
> ...

You can, through the flags that the router includes with the
advertisement of each prefix.  It's all in 2461.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Peter Ford (Exchange)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 07:51:12 -0700

It sure would be nice if you could force some sort of "hard" addrconf so
that servers on the network would know who is "on a wire", this would allow
routers to do host based routing, build more accurate topology databases (a
BIG request from customers), etc.

peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Elz [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, August 06, 1999 1:49 AM
To: Francis Dupont
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: IPv6 and Dynamic DNS 

    Date:        Fri, 06 Aug 1999 00:36:03 +0200
    From:        Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | => I have in my TODO list the same kind of tools (ie. something which
  | updates AAAA & PTR RRs from IPv6 addrconf/neighbor discovery).

This one is interesting, and is the first real suggestion I have seen that
there might be a solution.

The question that James Cutler asked - whether we need bother with PTR
records at all is certainly a valid one.   Unfortunately, most of the
discussion that followed, which concentrated on what security exists
with PTR records was way off the point - totally irrelevant.

Francis - I'd very much appreciate a brief message on just how your
proposed tools might go about this task.   It doesn't seem to me that
it is going to be trivial, though I can see it might be possible.

kre

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 13:59:32 -0700 (PDT)

> BIG request from customers), etc.

The only mechanism we have today is to set the flag in the router advertisement
which says "Use DHCP".

Of course, it wouldn't be hard to extend ND/addrconf which e.g. an
option of the semantics: "send an unsolicited neighbor advertisement every N
seconds to the all-routers multicast address".
This of course doesn't prevent malicious nodes from being silent, but it
would provide what you need.

Of course, I don't know how useful this would be.
Also, I don't see how it would help with dynamic DNS trust issues.

   Erik