Subject: RE: RFC 2529 (6over4)

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 12:45:15 -0700

> HIPPI doesn't have a link MTU.  It can send as large of a packet as
> you want.  It's one of the reasons there is an IPv6 Jumbogram option.

OK, ND does allow for that. Called a "variable MTU" link. But the
expectation is that an administrator will specify a single MTU for the
entire link using the MTU option in Router Advertisements.

Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 11:51:55 -0400

>entire link using the MTU option in Router Advertisements.

We have to be very careful to outlaw expectations we assume in a
standards body.  If ND was liberal on this then we need to be liberal in
our assumptions as we build tools and enhancments with ND related
techonology.  Hence, a MUST NOT is not a good idea on this thread.

/jim