Subject: W. Richard Stevens

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 11:19:38 -0700

Co-author of RFC2553, RFC2292, RFC2133, as well as some non-IPv6-specific
RFC's, died last Wednesday.

We will miss him.

Bob

>From: "Jeff Payne" <[email-masked]>
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Richard W. Steven Obit.
>Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 12:42:27 -0700
>X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
>X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook 8.5, Build 4.71.2173.0
>X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300
>Importance: Normal
>Sender: [email-masked]
>
>STEVENS, W. Richard, noted author of computer books died on September 1. He
>is best known for his ``UNIX Network Programming'' series (1990, 1998,
>1999), ``Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment'' (1992), and ``TCP/IP
>Illustrated'' series (1994, 1995, 1996).
>
>Richard was born in 1951 in Luanshya, Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia), where
>his father worked for the copper industry. The family moved to Salt Lake
>City, Hurley, New Mexico, Washington, DC and Phalaborwa, South Africa.
>Richard attended Fishburne Military School in Waynesboro, Virginia. He
>received a B.SC. in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Michigan in
>1973, and an M.S. (1978) and Ph.D. (1982) in Systems Engineering from the
>University of Arizona. He moved to Tucson in 1975 and from then until 1982
>he was employed at Kitt Peak National Observatory as a computer programmer.
>From 1982 until 1990 he was Vice President of Computing Services at Health
>Systems International in New Haven, CT, moving back to Tucson in 1990. Here
>he pursued his career as an author and consultant. He was also an avid pilot
>and a part-time flight instructor during the 1970's.
>
>He is survived by his loving wife of 20 years, Sally Hodges Stevens; three
>wonderful children, Bill, Ellen and David; sister, Claire Stevens of Las
>Vegas, NV; brother, Bob and wife Linda Stevens of Dallas, TX; nieces, Laura,
>Sarah, Collette, Christy; and nephew, Brad. He is predeceased by his
>parents, Royale J. Stevens (1915-1984); and Helen Patterson Stevens
>(1916-1997). Helen lived in Tucson from 1991-1997, and Royale lived here in
>the early 1930's attending Tucson High School while his father was treated
>for TB at the Desert Sanitorium (now TMC).
>
>The family asks that in lieu of flowers, donations be made in Richard's name
>to Habitat for Humanity, 2950 E. 22nd Street, Tucson, AZ 85713. A memorial
>service for Richard will be held at St. Phillip's in the Hills Episcopal
>Church on Tuesday, September 7th at 12:00 noon. Following the service there
>will be a reception in the Murphy Gallery of the Church. Please wear
>colorful clothing to the service; Richard loved colors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------