Subject: Re: Comments on 2292bis (Adv. API)

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 15:00:31 -0700 (PDT)

>    I don't think so. First, a problematic situation could happen even
>    without IPV6_PKTINFO. For example, consider the following sample code.
>    
>    struct sockaddr_in6 sa1, sa2;
>    sa1.sin6_scope_id = 1;
>    sa1.sin6_addr = fe80::1;
>    sa2.sin6_scope_id = 2;
>    sa2.sin6_addr = fe80::2;
>    bind(sa1);
>    sendto(sa2);
>    
>    then, what should happen? In the above example, we don't use
>    IPV6_PKTINFO at all!

Well, then it is an issue for the basic API document and not 2292bis :-)

Seriously, we can certainly try to specify the interaction of the different
ways to specify ifindex and scope id. But I'd appreciate a complete proposal
containing all the rules.
The fact that sin6_scope_id applies to bind() should really be part of
the basic API. Does anybody want to send a comment to XNET for that one?

  Erik

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 14:26:56 +0900

>>>>> On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 15:00:31 -0700 (PDT), 
>>>>> Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]> said:

> containing all the rules.

Okay, I'll try to make a proposal.

> the basic API. Does anybody want to send a comment to XNET for that one?

Let me make the situation clear...is the basic API now handled in
XNET?

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------