Subject: videocast

From: Kazu Yamamoto (山本和彦) <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 12:29:58 +0900

Videocast service over *IPv4* will be available during the interim
meeting. For more information, pls refer to:
	http://www.wide.ad.jp/events/199909.ipng-interim/

P.S.

We gave up multicast over IPv6 because of the limitation of external
bandwidth.

--Kazu
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 10:28:55 +0200

> 	http://www.wide.ad.jp/events/199909.ipng-interim/

It's great that you provide video, but I wish you would use a different
format, it seems to require a RealVideo G2 player which is not available
for any UNIX platforms. It might be easier for me to find a windows box,
than it is for you to provide something else though.

Stig

-- 
Stig Venaas
UNINETT/NTNU

---

From: Ignatios Souvatzis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 14:45:35 +0200

On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 01:28:27PM +0100, Kevin Page wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Stig Venaas wrote:
> Real Player G2 alpha for linux is available at:
> http://www.real.com/products/player/linux.html

Solaris/Sparc? NetBSD/arm32? Two name the preferred platforms I would use...

	-is

-- 
 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of
   smart terminals.  -- [email-masked] (obscurity)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 05:50:09 -0700 (PDT)

Great!  Is it available for Solaris?

> It's pretty stable in my experience.
> 
> Regards,
> 
> kev
> 
> -- 
> Kevin Page             Multimedia Research Group (Systems and Networks Group)
> Department of Electronics and Computer Science, University of Southampton, UK
> 

-- 
--bill

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 15:33:01 +0100 (BST)

> than it is for you to provide something else though.

Realplayer 5.0 is available cross-platform (Solaris, FreeBSD, SCO, Irix):

http://www.real.com/products/player/50player/50download.html
(to save y'all inspecting Real's site and giving up since it's not
 at all easy to find)

but G2's "upwardly compatible" in a hell-is-other-people's-copy-of-
Acrobat-4.0 kind of way; 5.0 is generally not much use, since much
content is G2-encoded.

I spent a lot of time communicating with Real techsupport when trying
to get 5.0 to work under Solaris; it turns out that 5.0's handling of
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is barely functional if you don't have anything else
in LD_LIBRARY_PATH at all - and I did. I then turned down their offer
to betatest G2 for them for nothing, since they wouldn't fix 5.0.

L.

Not that they've released G2 on Solaris since. Hmmph. 
I'd say a pox on them - but I believe they're blackholed anyway.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>

---

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 10:32:34 -0500

> 	http://www.wide.ad.jp/events/199909.ipng-interim/

I'm not an expert on these proprietary media formats, but when I click
the test link http://www.wide.ad.jp/events/199909.ipng-interim/interim.ram,
my "RealPlayer(tm) (SOLARIS - SPARC) Version 5.0 Gold" says this is
"not a RealAudio or RealVideo document".  As far as I can see, there
is no newer version available for any Unix flavor.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 17:50:37 +0200

> is no newer version available for any Unix flavor.

Yes, that's what I found too. It seems that one needs a G2 player.
But as Kevin Page wrote, there is at least an alfa G2 player for
Linux at http://www.real.com/products/player/linux.html. I think
Free/Net-BSD might be able to use this as well.

Thanks Kevin,

Stig

---

From: Kevin Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 13:28:27 +0100 (BST)

Regards,

kev

---

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 13:20:26 -0400

>than it is for you to provide something else though.

Good catch Stig.  Hey folks I know the world has PCs permeating the
planet for most users.  But many of us are engineers and have to use our
work stations for such stuff.  In my case I only have UNIX gear.  So
like Stig I would be more capable maybe of seeing this if it just used
IPv4 multicast and in a format we can see on UNIX boxes too.

/jim

---

From: Ignatios Souvatzis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:20:31 +0200

> Free/Net-BSD might be able to use this as well.

Thats only Linux/386, and I'd need to compile linux compat stuff into the
kernel, and install half a dozen Linux shared libraries, and hope that
it doesn't use yet another new Linux system call that the NetBSD emulation
doesn't know about.

_AND_ the PC is a loud machine...
I'd prefer to use a DNARD running NetBSD/arm32. completely diskless, completely
fanless, no noise.

	-is