Subject: Typo in RFC 2461

From: Ignatios Souvatzis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 17:42:59 +0200

Hello,

when re-reading the RFC 2461, I found a typo...

In ``3.1 Comparison with IPv4'' on page 14, it says:

      Address resolution multicasts are "spread" over 4 billion (2^32)
      multicast addresses greatly reducing address resolution related
      interrupts on nodes other than the target.  Moreover, non-IPv6
      machines should not be interrupted at all.

However, according to the Address Architecture document (RFC 2373), only
2^24 addresses are used.

In a future revision of the document, this should be corrected, like this:

      Address resolution multicasts are "spread" over 16 million (2^24)
      multicast addresses greatly reducing address resolution related
      interrupts on nodes other than the target.  Moreover, non-IPv6
      machines should not be interrupted at all.

[This should not cause any problems; this is not in the protocol description
 part of the document.]

Regards,
	Ignatios Souvatzis
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 15:12:07 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you for catching this one.
It will be fixed when we get this document ready for Standard status.

   Erik

>----- Begin Included Message -----<

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 17:42:59 +0200
From: "Ignatios Souvatzis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Typo in RFC 2461
To: [email-masked]

Hello,

Regards,
	Ignatios Souvatzis

>----- End Included Message -----<