Subject: RE: a response to "A Simple Solution for IPv6 Multihoming"

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 22:25:22 -0700

> > I'm probably not a typical consumer, but that happens to be 
> exactly how my
> > house is set up.
> 
> Whats the AS number?

That's just it, I'm a lowly consumer so I don't get to have an AS number and
a globally visible prefix. I mostly manually choose which ISP I want to use
when.

Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Vijay Gill <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 01:33:17 -0400 (EDT)

> a globally visible prefix. I mostly manually choose which ISP I want to use

Precisely.

/vijay

---

From: Peter Tattam <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 18:35:55 +1000 (EST)

> > a globally visible prefix. I mostly manually choose which ISP I want to use

This is a growing trend. One of the selling points of our product is that it is
only a key click away from completely reconfiguring the network setup, and the
changes applying instantly.  One customer who is an online stock broker
recently indicated that this was very important for the stability of their
business model. I suspect there are many internet applications emerging which
require high levels of redundancy at the desktop.  Perhaps this is a strong
motivation for making the multiple prefix per host model work much better than
currently since even a successfuly multihomed ISP would still not satisfy the
above customer.  If we really solved that problem, the multihoming issue could
go away.

If we can satisfy the following constraints, we will have solved the problem.

1) TCP/UDP session survivability.  
2) accurate source address selection.
3) rapid renumbering event notification to hosts.

Have these constraints been met yet?  If not, can they?

Peter

--
Peter R. Tattam                            [email-masked]
Managing Director,    Trumpet Software International Pty Ltd
Hobart, Australia,  Ph. +61-3-6245-0220,  Fax +61-3-62450210