Subject: Changes to "Preferred Format for Literal IPv6 Addresses in URL's"

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 14:49:32 -0700

The current (-03) and soon to be published (-04) versions of "Preferred 
Format for Literal IPv6 Addresses in URL's" has two changes that the w.g. 
should be aware.  These changes were requested during the IETF last 
call.  The changes are:

1) There is a new section 3 that defines changes to RFC2396 "Uniform Resource
    Identifiers: Generic Syntax" for the IPv6 literal address format.  The
    new text is as follows:

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
      3. Changes to RFC 2396

      This document updates the generic syntax for Uniform Resource
      Identifiers defined in RFC 2396 [URL].  It defines a syntax for IPv6
      addresses and allows the use of "[" and "]" within a URI explicitly
      for this reserved purpose.

      The following changes to the syntax in RFC 2396 are made: change the
      'host' non-terminal to add an IPv6 option:

        host          = hostname | IPv4address | IPv6reference
        ipv6reference = "[" IPv6address "]"

      where IPv6address is defined as in RFC2373.  The definition of
      'IPv4address' is also replaced with that of RFC 2373, as it correctly
      defines an IPv4address as consisting of at most three decimal digits
      per segment.

      In addition, add "[" and "]" to the set of 'reserved' characters:

        reserved    = ";" | "/" | "?" | ":" | "@" | "&" | "=" | "+" |
                      "$" | "," | "[" | "]"

      and remove them from the 'unwise' set:

        unwise      = "{" | "}" | "|" | "\" | "^" | "`"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

    Larry Masinter suggested this text during the IETF last call period and
    is now listed as an author.

2) The title was changed to "Format for Literal IPv6 Addresses in URL's" in
    version -04.

Bob

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------