Subject: ICMP name lookups

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 11:45:08 -0500

I just submitted draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-name-lookups-05.txt.
Significant changes are:

+ Names are expressed in DNS notation rather than as ASCII strings.
This future-proofs the protocol against the possibility of UTF-8 DNS
names or other such horrors.

+ The multicast address for queries by name is now formed with
(truncated) MD5 rather than CRC-32.

+ I added a Code value and a Qtype to let IPv4 addresses be the
subject or object of a query.  (But this is still an ICMPv6-only
protocol!)

+ I added a flag to the Node Addresses query to ask for
IPv4-compatible addresses.

+ Returned addresses are now each tagged with a caching time limit.

+ The flag bits have been rearranged for uniformity.  (I apologize in
advance to early implementors!)

The draft is available for early reading at
<ftp://berserk.fnal.gov/pub/draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-name-lookups-05.txt>.
When the draft appears through the i-d editor, I request that the
chairs begin WG last call at their discretion.

				Matt
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------