Subject: Re: FYI...

From: Radia Perlman - Boston Center for Networking <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 12:30:35 -0400 (EDT)

Fine note, Fred.
The only two points I might add for clarification are:

1) stateless autoconfiguration with embedded MAC
address is only one way of assigning
addresses within IPv6, and you could have a DHCP server
dynamically hand out temporary addresses if you wanted so
that your address would change each time you came up, or
periodically, or whatever policy people wanted. (Personally
I don't see any real problem with embedded MAC addresses,
but if people perceive there's a problem even if there isn't,
it's probably easier to tell them they don't have to do it than
to convince them it isn't a problem.)

2) the real way to maintain anonymity if you need it is with
anonymizers (also called anonymous remailers)

Radia

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 13:32:43 -0400

Radia,

>to convince them it isn't a problem.)

Just a note.  DHCPv6 (which is different than DHCPv4) uses the
link-local address as part of the key for identifying clients.  We will
only overlay the non-link-local address for a client address. I am
co-author of DHCPv6 with Charlie Perkins Nokia and Mike Carney Sun.

This is work in progress.  But our objective with DHCPv6 is to dovetail
with stateless addrconf on an implementation.  We use the fact that the
client has established an EUI.  Bottom line is we don't need BOOTP for
DHCPv6.

/jim

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 18:56:35 +0100

At 12:30 PM 10/15/99 -0400, Radia Perlman - Boston Center for Networking wrote:
>addresses within IPv6

>anonymizers (also called anonymous remailers)

of course, no argument. One could also mention that in view of CALEA and
similar other legislation, strong encryption is a good thing even with the
anonymous remailer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------