Subject: RE: draft-ietf-ipngwg-addrconf-privacy-00.txt

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 12:34:11 -0700

> Regarding the protocol description, per comments and the discussion in
> Oslo, the mechanism itself will likely be moved to an appendix or
> simply be thrown out. It's too simplistic to be useful in the cases of
> real interest. The next version of the document will define a
> mechanism that keeps the EUI-64-derived interface ID for link-local
> and site-local addresses, but allows the global scope addresses to
> have random interface IDs. In addition, nodes need to have both a
> "permanent" address (i.e., one with the EUI-64-derived address) that
> is "public" so that the node can act as a server and accept incoming
> connections. Simultaneously, nodes will want to act as clients,
> initiating connections from addresses with the random interface ID
> component. Both addresses will be in effect simultaneously.
> 
> The interested reader may wish to think about how this might impact
> source address selection algorithms that are invoked when initiating
> connections.

I was assuming that the permanent (EUI-64-derived) addresses would be
deprecated, so they would not be used when initiating communication. So this
would not introduce any extra complexity into source address selection.

Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------