Subject: Re: FYI...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 09:33:46 EDT

In a message dated 10/15/99 11:55:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [email-masked] 
writes:

> If putting the MAC Address into the IP6 address is a problem, someone
>  should tell Novell and Xerox. The Xerox Internet Transport, which IPX
>  copied in the design of Novell Netware, has used the MAC Address as the
>  "host identifier" portion of the network layer address since the 1970s.
>  DECNET IV also has always had an algorithmic relationship between the MAC
>  Address and the network layer address, and IS-IS routable CLNS NSAPs
>  contain the MAC Address as well - CLNS Level 1 Routing routes to the MAC
>  Address, which it calls a Host Identifier. I haven't heard that this caused
>  privacy issues to arise in any of those protocols, and see no reason to
>  believe that it would do so in IP6.

Is there a global IPX or XNS Internet?  The observation is not necessarily
pertinent.

Joachim Martillo
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Cyndi Jung <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 12:52:40 -0700

>>  should tell Novell and Xerox. ...
>

But not for lack of trying.  Novell and AT&T put together an IP/IPX
"Internet" service, though I think they only attracted a handful
of customers - less than 10, I heard, before they pulled the plug.

But again, an excellent example of a protocol architecture that had
no comparable distributed name system to the DNS.  Even with the 
Novell Directory Services, there was no way that a global IPX Internet
could have been constructed.

Cyndi

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 15:25:12 +0100

>Is there a global IPX or XNS Internet?  The observation is not necessarily

there is indeed a global CLNS internet routed via IS-IS - that's how they
connect to telco switches for management purposes, I'm told.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Cyndi Jung <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 12:39:47 -0700

I think you could call that really an intranet - unless it
ran a BGP-type protocol between multiple administrative
domains that in fact compete for the user market, it is
really just a large intranet.

Cyndi