Subject: Interview with Vint Cerf from CNN Website.

From: Jim Dunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 15:59:28 +0100

I came across this on CNN's website.

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9910/27/cerf.ipv6.idg/cerf.ipv6.html

Jim

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Richard M. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 12:26:06 -0400

Hello,

Does anyone know of a public domain/shareware/open source
implementation of an IPv6 stack for Windows 98?

Richard

---

From: "Richard M. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 12:22:31 -0400

Jim,

> http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9910/27/cerf.ipv6.idg/cerf.ipv6.html

Interesting article. Vint in general does a nice sales job for
IPv6.  However, his comments on privacy are both silly (users
like to swap around Ethernet cards!) and and off-base (he makes it
sound like IPv6 addresses always contain MAC addresses and
nobody uses DHCP). 

Here is the full text of the privacy question and answer:

   [CNN] The Electronic Privacy Information Center has raised some 
   concerns about IPv6 because its 128-bit addresses include 
   the user's unique Ethernet address. The center compares 
   IPv6 to Intel's Pentium III chip. Are these privacy concerns valid? 

   [Vint] I believe they're based on a misunderstanding. My experience 
   is that devices that slip into a PC such as Ethernet cards, 
   people swap these around. I don't see anything binding in the 
   MAC address. The MAC address can be overriden by software. So 
   there's too little certainty to associate a given MAC address 
   with a given PC. If the MAC addresses are dynamically changed, 
   that will remove a significant amount of concern. 

   The trade-off is simpler configuration of the Net. As opposed 
   to having to call up a LAN administrator, you'd be able to 
   just get on [with IPv6.] 

Richard