Subject: New version of Mobile IPv6 draft

From: Dave Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 12:28:15 -0400

On Friday, I submitted a new (and hopefully final) version of the
Mobile IPv6 draft, draft-ietf-mobileip-ipv6-09.txt.  Someday soon,
the official announcement of it should come out, but I haven't seen
an announcement yet, so here's an unofficial announcement: Copies of
the new draft are now available from the CMU Monarch Project web pages
at http://www.monarch.cs.cmu.edu/ .  The URL for the new draft is:

http://www.monarch.cs.cmu.edu/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mobileip-ipv6-09.txt

Here's a brief list of most of the changes in the draft since the
previous version:

    -  Added a new section (Section 10.2), giving guidance to
       implementors on the interaction between outbound Mobile IP
       processing and outbound IPsec processing for packets sent by a
       mobile node while away from home.

    -  Changed the optional Care-of Address field in the Binding Update
       option format (Section 5.1) to instead be a sub-option.  This
       better matches the use of other sub-options to encode optional
       information in an option, and also makes the specification of the
       alignment requirement for the Binding Update option easier.

    -  Also removed the Care-of Address Present (C) bit in the Binding
       Update option format, as it is no longer needed with the use of a
       sub-option to specify the alternate care-of address.  NOTE: This
       change also resulted in moving the Router (R) bit over by one bit
       position in the Binding Update option format.

    -  Added explicit specification of the alignment requirements [5]
       for each of the Mobile IPv6 destination options and sub-options.

    -  Introduced Pad1 and PadN sub-options (Section 5.5) to allow
       the sub-options in Mobile IPv6 options to be aligned properly.
       To match the option numbering used for the Pad1 and PadN
       options defined for use in Hop-by-Hop Options and Destination
       Options extension headers [5], these two sub-options have been
       numbered 0 and 1, respectively.  NOTE: This change also resulted
       in changing the sub-option numbers of the other Mobile IPv6
       sub-options.

    -  Added an explicit specification of the units in which
       the Lifetime and Refresh fields are expressed in the
       Binding Acknowledgement option (Section 5.2).  As with the
       corresponding Lifetime field in the Binding Update option and the
       Valid Lifetime and Preferred Lifetime in the Prefix Information
       option used by Neighbor Discovery [14], these fields in the
       Binding Acknowledgement option are expressed in seconds.

    -  Rewrote Section 10.9 to indicate that the Binding Update is sent
       to any home agent on the link on which the specified previous
       care-of address is located, rather than (necessarily) to the
       router that it used as its default router on that link.  Also,
       the mobile node can establish packet forwarding from any previous
       care-of address, not just from its previous primary care-of
       address.

    -  Removed the Status value of 129 (Poorly formed Binding Update)
       for the Binding Acknowledgement option, since this value is not
       used.  Instead, poorly formed Binding Updates have already been
       defined (Section 8.2) to be silently discarded.

    -  Removed the Status value of 134 (Sequence Number field value too
       small) for the Binding Acknowledgement option, since this value
       is not used.  Instead, received Binding Updates in which the
       Sequence Number field is not greater than the Sequence Number
       received in the previous Binding Update for this home address,
       if any, have already been defined (Section 8.2) to be silently
       discarded.

    -  Corrected a few more minor typographical errors in places.

					Dave

--
David B. Johnson                         [email-masked]
Associate Professor                      http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dbj/
Computer Science Department              http://www.monarch.cs.cmu.edu/
Carnegie Mellon University               Phone: (412) 268-7399
5000 Forbes Avenue                       Fax: (412) 268-5576
Pittsburgh, PA  15213-3891

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 02:31:12 +0900

>       mobile node while away from home.

	First of all, thanks for compiling section 10.2, it was what I always
	wished!
	It would be better if you can talk more about IKE issue (maybe
	separately from mobile-ipv6 draft) in bullet 4.  To setup a IPsec
	secret key between home address and destination address, IKE packet
	(UDP port 500) would need to have home address as a source (correct
	me if I'm wrong on this), and this causes chicken-and-egg problem.

itojun