Subject: RSIP(Realm Specific IP)

From: ksb <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 20:10:17 +0900

Dear huitema,

I read your presentation at IPv6 Forum.
You said that RSIP is good for IPv6 evolution.
I can't find the difference between NAT/NAPT and RSIP
conceptually.
Will you explain about it?
Is RSIP good for ISP?

Thank you.
Sahng-Beom Kim

--
  Kim, Sahng-Beom / Korea Telecom
  TEL :    +82-42-870-8322
  FAX :    +82-42-870-8329
  E-mail :  [email-masked]
--

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 11:54:28 -0400

>I can't find the difference between NAT/NAPT and RSIP

What I said was that RSIP is an evolution of the NAT technology that tries
to alleviate some of the NAT problems, such as the impossibility to
dynamically open listening sockets behind a NAT, or the impossibility to
let IPSEC cross a NAT. However, implementing RSIP requires a new stack in
the host, and thus has the same deployment problems as IPv6. This implies
that a v4-to-v4 RSIP/NAT solution is not easier to deploy than a v6-to-v4
solution. On the other hand, the basic idea of RSIP, interacting with the
translation box in order to ensure transparency, is a good idea that should
be somehow implemented in the IPv6 transition.
-- Christian Huitema