Subject: RE: draft-ietf-ipngwg-scopedaddr-format-00.txt

From: Jack McCann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 10:38:17 -0400 (EDT)

> Through the discussion so far, '@' seems bad for the delimiter and '-'
> seems acceptable. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

A stray thought...

	[S|s]<scope-id>:<scoped_address>

where "S" is for "Scope" but it could be any character not
currently allowed in a literal IPv6 address.

For example:

	s1:fe80::1234
	Sether1:fe80::1234
	sSiteB:fec0::1234

Not sure if there are I18N considerations about using "S" or "s"?

- Jack

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Sam Manthorpe)
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 13:55:12 -0800 (PST)

> currently allowed in a literal IPv6 address.

I like this proposal a lot.  I agree scope-id should come first, for
the reasons already posted here and using [s|S] instead of punctuation
mark avoids the old `but in <x>shell this is interpreted as a <y>'
discussions.

Since <draft-ietf-ipngwg-scopedaddr-format-00.txt> is very generic
in terms of what one uses for delimiters and scope-ids, the only
real difference here is the sequence of the three elements, so this
is a minor change.

Now, if only struct hostent used sockaddrs porting apps to IPv6 would
be easy.

Cheers,
Sam.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sam Manthorpe, SGI.  tel: (650)933-2856 fax: (650)932-2856  [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------