Subject: MCI and Vinton Cerf suggest IPv6 become a standard

From: Jeff Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 14:31:41 +0100

All,

http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB19991012S0009

  Of course Vinton would make these recommendations, but the
answers to the questions in this article are a bit too unspecified
as to the security issues and barely address the privacy problem
with IPv6 presently, not to mention other concerns such as
v4tov6 issues.

  On the other side of this coin see:
http://www.techweb.com/se/directlink.cgi?WIR1997060910

And interesting excerpt that seems contrary to what Vinton says
is as follows:
"MCI is testing IPv6 on its high-speed research backbone that
 carries traffic for the National Science Foundation, but it has
no plans to deploy   v6 on its internetMCI commercial service."

and....

 "From our customer perspective, we have no significant or
moderate demand  for IPv6," said Rob Hagens, MCI's director
of Internet engineering. "They want   a faster and cheaper IPv4."

  So one can easily conclude that old Vinton says one thing and
his vaunted MCI/Sprint is doing another.   Words don't meet the deeds
I would say here Vinton old buddy!  >;)  Troubles in MCI town maybe???

Regards,
--
Jeffrey A. Williams
Spokesman INEGroup (Over 95k members strong!)
CEO/DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.
Information Network Eng. Group. INEG. INC.
E-Mail [email-masked]
Contact Number:  972-447-1894
Address: 5 East Kirkwood Blvd. Grapevine Texas 75208

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ben Crosby <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 02:20:42 +0100

>http://www.techweb.com/se/directlink.cgi?WIR1997060910

To be fair, you have decided to extract quotes from an article which
is now over two years old. It is possible that MCI may have updated
their plans.

Anyone care to comment ?

Ben.