Subject: Re: draft-ietf-ipngwg-scopedaddr-format-00.txt

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 01:06:21 -0500

>	1. what do you do if you see two or more nodes with the same name.

Good question.

>	2. most of novice users leave hostname unconfigured.  default value
>	   would be like "myhost.mynet" or "myhost.netbsd".  it makes
>	   situation 1 to happen more frequently.

The specification could specify a default name based on the mac address.
Thus a lookup for the address a20:1ff:fe1:234 would return the
string "a20:1ff:fe1:234".

That would avoid all unconfigured nodes getting some silly default.
Alternatively, the default could be the zero length string and
the protocol could specify that when hostname == "" don't respond
to any queries.

   Erik

  Erik

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------