Subject: RE: Textual Address Change for Scope-IDs

From: Brian Zill <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 00:57:04 -0800

> From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]]>
> 
> Not sure any of this should ever affect
> existing inet_nt/pt functions.

It wouldn't have to.  We could leave them around for binary compatibility
with what is already deployed.

> if we can revisit the api yet again we
> can revisit roberts idea :--).

Actually, I'm not sure it was Robert's idea.  I got the impression it was
just an old (rejected) idea that he brought back up.  I don't know whose
idea it was in the first place.

> It may make revisiting the api easier :---)....

Adopting it would break binary compatibility with existing apps, which I
thought you were against.

> Or we could just bag site local addresses
> in ipv6 then we would have to not revisit
> either api or roberts idea :---)

At the risk of repeating myself a billion times, the same issue exists for
link-local addresses.  Getting rid of site-local addresses would not make
this issue go away.

--Brian

> /jim
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Sam Manthorpe)
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 01:05:15 -0800 (PST)

> link-local addresses.  Getting rid of site-local addresses would not make

Yes, but multiple ND on each interface for link-locals, although 
_theoretically_ flawed would work in practice.

-- Sam

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sam Manthorpe, SGI.  tel: (650)933-2856 fax: (650)932-2856  [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 14:38:57 -0500

Brian,

>thought you were against.

Not at all. I said it would make it easier.  If I get back an adress like this:

  fe80::FUZZY::1 with getipnodebyname we would strip out the fuzzy at
  the resolver and stick it in sin6_scope_id.  

    1) we would need new flag for getipnodebyname to pass sockaddr_in6
    2) change hostent to be different in backwards compatible way
    3) shoot getipnodebyname in the head and use getaddrinfo 

>link-local addresses.  Getting rid of site-local addresses would not make

Well I am not going to repeat my self I have already answered you on
this twice. 

/jim