Subject: ICMP host name lookups

From: Brian Zill <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 07:02:47 -0800

I changed the subject line since this isn't about scope_id formats anymore.

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Summary: I think the ICMP name lookup mechanism addresses a scenario
> that doesn't currently exist with IPv4; that of the plug-n-play
> network.  [...]
> 
> When I think of ICMP namelookup I think of Appletalk...
> 
> Cheers,
> -- Sam

I agree, this is where ICMP host name lookups are most attractive.  But for
that particular scenario, there may be better methods.  I'll admit now that
I haven't read the draft since a much earlier version; since I'm always a
couple drafts behind in my reading, the experimental ones come last.  Now
that this has been proposed for standards track again, I'll have to review
it.  I've heard several good ideas for the "dentist's office" DNS scenario
since ICMP lookups first came out and am not sure if they're now included in
this or not.  Basically, what I'm saying is that I don't think it's
appropriate to consider a draft automatically "wg approved" for standards
track just because we were happy to approve it as experimental.

As for autoconfiguration node name defaults, it's nice to include the
manufactorer name and function (i.e. "Sunbeam toaster", or using Erik's
unique number suggestion, "Sunbeam toaster 0000:dead:beef:cafe") so that a
quick glance at the name will tell you what it is.

--Brian
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------