Subject: Re: ND on multi-homed nodes

From: Jack McCann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 16:10:17 -0500 (EST)

If the user has not specified the interface (e.g. set sin6_scope_id),
we pick one for them.

- Jack

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Sam Manthorpe)
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 14:15:50 -0800 (PST)

> If the user has not specified the interface (e.g. set sin6_scope_id),

Yes, I was thinking about ease of porting IPv4 apps to IPv6.  Changing
sockaddr to sockaddr_storage and using getipnodebyname() instead of
gethostbyname() is easy.  Having to parse scope ids is a pain, as
is using getaddrinfo() IMO.  Is there a case here for adding an
extra parameter to getipnodebyname() to pass back the scope_id?
Since porting to IPv6 requires recompilation anyway, one could also
add a field to struct hostent, I guess.

Cheers,
Sam.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sam Manthorpe, SGI.  tel: (650)933-2856 fax: (650)932-2856  [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------