Subject: Re: sockaddr_storage issue

From: Jack McCann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 15:06:19 -0500 (EST)

FYI, xnet has dropped the leading underscores and will use "ss_family".

- Jack
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 09:56:29 +0900

>FYI, xnet has dropped the leading underscores and will use "ss_family".

	great.  I hope RFC2553bis to synchronize with it...

	a problem I see here is synchronization between X/Open specs
	and RFCs.  we briefly seen it in get{addr,name}info, and
	sockaddr_storage.  we need to see more synchronization between
	the two, or make one of them refer to the other.
	which one should an implementer consider authoritative for now?

itojun

---

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 22:56:46 -0500

>	great.  I hope RFC2553bis to synchronize with it...

Absolutely.

My hope is XNET gets on the list here and I think are here.  But we need
an Internet DOC in this space or I would suggest we defer all this to
XNET.

I believe the only think I hear consensus on thus far is:

1.  Deprecate getipnodebyname and friends.
2.  Make sure functionality and flags from getipnodebyname are supported
    in getaddrinfo.

Do we have consensus on dropping the underscores i.e. make is ss_family?

thanks
/jim

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 22:49:10 +1100

> Do we have consensus on dropping the underscores i.e. make is ss_family?

	I think that was what I was seeing from the list.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Internet Engines Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------