Subject: RE: IPv6 Link-Local Address on Mediums that are Glued Together

From: Dimitry Haskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 18:17:29 -0500

My guess is that the probability of two nodes ending up with the same
link-local
address on joined LANs is not any higher than the probability of two nodes
ending up with the same MAC address under the same circumstances.  In
theory,
the latter can occur in IPv4 networks but I don't believe anyone losing
sleep over it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dimitry Haskin
Lucent Technologies Internetworking Systems
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bill Fink <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 00:59:47 -0500 (EST)

> the latter can occur in IPv4 networks but I don't believe anyone losing

I agree.  It should be very rare.  And when it does happen, you can
just do what is done with IPv4, namely spit out a message to the system
console (if you bother checking for duplicates periodically); that is
if there is a system console or log file to send it to.

I guess in the home environment, your phone could call you and tell
you that your home network had detected a duplicate IPv6 address
between your toaster and toothbrush.  :-)

						-Bill