Subject: RE: draft-ietf-ipngwg-site-prefixes

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 23:00:04 -0800

> There's also the purity problem - the DNS is a global 
> database, available
> to all, and should only be returning data that is useful to 
> all.  I get
> to pay for all the bytes I receive (someone actually counts 
> them), I really
> don't want to have DNS packet sizes increased because they're carrying
> site local addresses that are only useful on the other side 
> of the world.
> Let's keep global data in the global DNS, and do lookups of 
> site addresses
> in some local directory (of course, if you have no global 
> addresses - that
> is, you're not connected to the internet at all, then you can 
> use a DNS
> that is jus yours and is populated with your site local 
> addresses, that isn't
> an interesting case).

Besides Erik's answer (what else would you use besides DNS, and requiring
two-faced DNS is not good), here's another thought:

Consider the interaction of site-local addressing with mobility. The way
we'll probably implement it, the home addresses will be assigned to a
pseudo-interface that logically is part of the home site. It will be
possible to use site-local addresses for communication with nodes back in
the home site. So it actually will be useful to have site-local addresses
returned by DNS, when the lookup is done by this mobile node that is
ostensibly outside the site.

Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------