Subject: IPv6 multicast address

From: "Jorge Sa' Silva" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 23:43:22 -0000

Hi,

I would like to know how IPv6 manages an IP multicast addresses. Does it send the message using a broadcast process? Does it use a translation table?

Thaks in advance

Jorge

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 11:25:54 +0900

>>>>> On Mon, 20 Dec 1999 23:43:22 -0000, 
>>>>> "Jorge Sa' Silva" <[email-masked]> said:

> <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>I would like to know how IPv6 manages an IP 
> multicast addresses. Does it send the message using a broadcast process? Does it 
> use a translation table?</FONT></DIV>

IPv6 has a separate address block for multicasting (see RFC 2373). If
you mean transmission of IPv6 multicast packets over specific media
(e.g. Ethernet), you may want to see documentations of "IPv6 over XXX"
like RFC2464 and RFC2467. For example, RFC2464 defines the mapping
from IPv6 multicast addresses to ethernet addresses:

7.  Address Mapping -- Multicast

   An IPv6 packet with a multicast destination address DST, consisting
   of the sixteen octets DST[1] through DST[16], is transmitted to the
   Ethernet multicast address whose first two octets are the value 3333
   hexadecimal and whose last four octets are the last four octets of
   DST.

                  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
                  |0 0 1 1 0 0 1 1|0 0 1 1 0 0 1 1|
                  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
                  |   DST[13]     |   DST[14]     |
                  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
                  |   DST[15]     |   DST[16]     |
                  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 13:03:22 -0600

> I would like to know how IPv6 manages an IP multicast addresses. Does it
> send the message using a broadcast process? Does it use a translation
> table?

If I understand your question correctly, you can find the answer in
each document for "Transmission of IPv6 over <medium>".  For example,
RFC 2464 for <medium> = Ethernet.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------