Subject: icmp-name-lookups-05.txt>: NOOP

From: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 00:30:26 +0900

icmp-name-lookups-05 says the following.

>5.1.  NOOP
>
>    This NI type has no defined flags and never has a Data field.  A
>    Reply to a NI NOOP Query tells the Querier that a node with the
>    Queried Address is up and reachable, implements the Node Information
>    protocol, and incidentally happens to reveal whether the Queried
>    Address was an anycast address.

	However, since these seem to be no Code defined for empty Data field,
	it is not possible for a Querier to transmit NOOP packet with empty
	Data field.  Definition of NOOP and Code seems, at least, contradictory.

	Or is the evaluation of Code field dependent to Qtype field?
	(i.e. we should ignore Code field if Qtype equals to NOOP or
	Qtype equals to Supported Qtypes)

itojun
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------