Subject: RE: Duplicate address detection

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 13:18:47 -0700

> I need to know if you (mainly implementors) agree with this statement:
> if the source address of a neighbor solicitation is the unspecified
> address, this implies that the solicitation is from a node 
> performing DAD
> for the target address of the solicitation.

Looking at a receiver's behavior, if the receiver of such a NS is performing
DAD for the target address then it will assume that the sending node is
performing DAD concurrently and so the receiver will put the target address
in the duplicate state.

Otherwise the main effect is to cause the NA reply to be multicast to the
all-nodes-on-link address.

Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------