Subject: Fwd: Re: Infrastructure TLDs: .ARPA should be used

From: Steve Deering <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 09:09:18 -0700

By the way, that message I just sent was intended for the working group,
not for Thomas.  I forgot to change the To: field before sending it.

Steve

>Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 09:03:43 -0700
>To: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
>From: Steve Deering <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: Infrastructure TLDs: .ARPA should be used
>Cc: [email-masked], Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>, Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
>
>Just to refresh everyone's memory, the request regarding .arpa applies
>only to the new, bitstring-based reverse DNS entries, *not* the nybble-
>based entries that are currently in use.  There is no intent or proposal
>to move the nybble-based entries out of .int.
>
>A secondary issue that was never formally resolved was what second-level
>domain to use: .ip6.arpa or .in6-addr.arpa.  From the discussion in
>February, the few people who commented on that all preferred the shorter
>string (.ip6.arpa), simply because it was fewer characters to type.
>So I propose we go with ip6.arpa.  Any objections (speak quickly)?
>
>Steve

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------