Subject: Re: (retry) rfc2553bis-00: nai_strerror() ?

From: Jack McCann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 11:46:04 -0400 (EDT)

>>I am sure this has been asked before. But anyway. After writing 
>>some code according to RFC 2553, I was wondering why there is no
>>nai_strerror() function which works similar to gai_strerror().
>
>We don't need an nai_strerror.  We could put gai_sterror after
>getnameinfo and have it apply to both set of EAI_xxx error code sets.
>
>Comments.

We discussed this in XNET and arrived at the same conclusion:
use the EAI_xxx error codes for both getaddrinfo and getnameinfo,
and make the error descriptions from netdb.h/gai_strerror() generic
enough to apply to both.  I believe this is reflected in the update
to rfc2553 (draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2553bis-00.txt).

- Jack

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------