Subject: RE: sin6_flowinfo and sendto/recvfrom

From: Tim Hartrick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 17:13:48 -0700 (PDT)

Rich,

> 
> My assumption was that recvfrom() and accept() should return sin6_flowinfo
> from the received packet, and connect() and sendto() should take
> sin6_flowinfo and put it into sent packets.
> 
> For bind(), I'd say either error if sin6_flowinfo is non-zero, or ignore
> sin6_flowinfo.
> 

Not surprisingly this is the exact opposite of what I thought.:-)  Since
the flow ID is source oriented it seems to make the most sense to me to
specify it on the bind() call and return it in calls which return a source
address (recvfrom, recvmsg, accept).  It should be silently ignored on
connect, sendto and sendmsg.

Of course the traffic class is destination oriented so the opposite logic
applies.  It is silently ignored by bind and placed in the packet as
a result of connect, sendto and sendmsg calls.  Calls to recvfrom, recvmsg
and accept return what was received.

Of course I suspect I held a different opinion about this in the past and
the next time it comes up I will hold yet another opinion.:-)

Needless to say it needs to be written down.

tim
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 23:10:38 +0900

>>>>> On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 17:13:48 -0700 (PDT), 
>>>>> Tim Hartrick <[email-masked]> said:

> connect, sendto and sendmsg.

It's true that flow IDs are source oriented, but if sin6_scope_id is
ignored in (e.g.) connect(), how can we call connect() without binding
beforehand and with specifying the flow ID?

(I'm not sure which is the best way to specify flow IDs for outgoing
packets, or even whether such an API is necessary at all. It's just a
question from curiosity)

> Needless to say it needs to be written down.

Agreed.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------