Subject: W.G. Last Call on "IP Version 6 Management Information Base for the Multicast Listener Discovery Protocol"

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 09:34:19 -0700

This is a IPng working group last call for comments on advancing the 
following document as a Proposed Standard:

	Title		: IP Version 6 Management Information Base for the
                           Multicast Listener Discovery Protocol
	Author(s)	: B. Haberman, R. Worzella
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipngwg-mld-mib-03.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 05-Jun-00

Please send substantive comments to the ipng mailing list, and minor
editorial comments to the authors.  This last call period will end two
week from today on July 3, 2000.

Bob Hinden / Steve Deering

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 12:24:54 +0200

>>>>> Bob Hinden writes:

Bob> This is a IPng working group last call for comments on advancing
Bob> the following document as a Proposed Standard:

Bob> 	Title : IP Version 6 Management Information Base for the
Bob> Multicast Listener Discovery Protocol Author(s) : B. Haberman,
Bob> R. Worzella Filename : draft-ietf-ipngwg-mld-mib-03.txt Pages :
Bob> 14 Date : 05-Jun-00

There are several syntactical errors in the MIB module (see list
below). But some other suggestions for improvements first:

 1: Change the MIB module name to IPV6-MLD-MIB since the MIB is IPv6
    only and the naming scheme would be consistent with IPV6-ICMP-MIB
    IPV6-MIB IPV6-TC IPV6-TCP-MIB IPV6-UDP-MIB.

 2: What is the purpose of the mld OID node? Why are the tables not
    directly registered below mldMIBObjects?

 3: Why is mldInterfaceIfIndex of type Ipv6IfIndexOrZero and not of
    type Ipv6IfIndex? Note that the Ipv6IfIndexOrZero requires to
    define when the value zero is being used.

 4: mldInterfaceQueryInterval allows negative intervals. Perhaps
    adding a range restriction or using Unsigned32 makes more sense?

 5: The description of mldInterfaceStatus talks about
    enabling/disabling MLD. Is this really being done via row creation
    and deletion? Or should rows not exist all the time and you have
    the usual mldInterfaceAdminStatus/mldInterfaceOperStatus
    combination? BTW, what is the persistence of such a change? Will
    it survive a reboot?

 6: mldInterfaceVersion: can it be negative? Is there a reference to
    an MLD document which defines a version number? Or where is the
    default value 1 coming from?

 7: mldInterfaceQueryMaxResponseDelay: Negative seconds?

 8: mldInterfaceRobustness: Negative robustness? Reference to the
    robustness definition in the MLD specification?

 9: mldInterfaceLastListenQueryIntvl: Negative seconds?

10: mldCacheIfIndex: when do I use the value 0?

11: mldCacheStatus: What exactly does the mldCacheStatus do? Can I
    create new cache entries via row creation? What does it mean to
    bring a row into a notInService state? What is the persistence
    of a row addition? Will it survive a reboot?

12: Row creation/deletion in the mldCacheTable is required for
    conformance while row creation/deletion in the mldInterfaceTable
    is not required for conformance. Is that by accident or by
    intention?

13: Any reason why mldInterfaceLastListenQueryIntvl is not spelled out
    as mldInterfaceLastListenQueryInterval? Note that
    mldInterfaceQueryInterval is already spelled out and
    mldInterfaceQueryMaxResponseDelay is longer than 32 characters
    anyway.

Now to the syntactical errors:

S1: Need to import InterfaceIndexOrZero from IF-MIB.

S2: The REVISION statement should be:

       REVISION "200006021500Z" 
       DESCRIPTION
            "Initial version, published as RFC XXXX."

S3: OBJECT-TYPE missing after mldInterfaceProxtIfIndex

S4: mldInterfaceProxtIfIndex should really be mldInterfaceProxyIfIndex
    (spelling of proxy)

S5: final " missing in some DESCRIPTION clauses

S6: MldMIBGroups must be mldMIBGroups (capitalization)

S7: The descriptors mldInterfaceProxyIfIndex,
    mldInterfaceQueryMaxResponseTime and mldInterfaceLastMemQueryIntvl
    are used in the group definitions but not defined with this name

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
<[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <URL:http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>