Subject: Re: Revised IPng Working Group Charter

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 09:55:19 -0400 (EDT)

Brian sez:
> But the people who understand QOS are in the transport area, and so far
> they have ignored it.

"ignored" is a bit strong (see RFC 1809) but it has not been a priority
(so to speak) in light of the other QoS developments under way.

in response to Jim:
> flowlabel should be done here or in routing area.
> those are the people who understand it and ramifications. 

the use of the flowlabel as a routing process optimizer or as a QoS enabler
or both would be a useful discussion to have

Scott
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:27:28 -0400

scott et al...

here is another one I heard at an internal wireless conference I was at
for engineering "indirectly".

it appears some server vendor ISVs like to put a black-network-box in front
of a bunch of servers and load balance them based on IP addr+tcp/udp
port number (sure lots of folks do this but...).

(...Server 1) --------- (Server 2) -------  (Server 3) ----

                BLACK BOX TO ABOVE NETWORK CONNECTONS 

Not important how the black-box talks to the servers (atm, ethernet,
hippi, etc).

So this server engineer says to me hey jim I am hosed with IPsec v4 or
v6!!!!!  Yep I sez.....

So this server engineer says so how about using the flowlabel with the IPv6 
addresses.....

I sez this field is TBD ...(standard party line) , of course its your
own trip :-----)

Besides the input that this is another means to use the flowlabel when
IPSec has encrypted everything as identifier, it also tells me that this
field is sitting there in IPv6 and we need to do something with it soon.

take care,
/jim

---

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:27:28 -0400

scott et al...

take care,
/jim

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:08:18 -0500

So can it be given a few minutes in the TSV WG in Pittsburgh, at least to
see if there is any interest/volunteers?

   Brian