Subject: RE: problems with privacy draft

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 17:34:14 -0700

> I believe you can make your set of rules simpler if you introduce
> a new lifetime (or condition if one needs something smarter than
> a delay). I'll call it "regen lifetime" and when the regen lifetime
> of an anonymous address expires then a new address is created, checked
> by DAD then is used as the anonymous address, the old one is 
> deprecated.
> With this we can keep the current deprecated/invalid mechanism on RA
> receptions (this is complex enough with the two hour rule and all the
> side effects we can get from short lifetimes (mis)used for mobility).

I don't think this works. Suppose you have an existing anonymous address,
say with a zero preferred lifetime and a 3 hour valid lifetime. (And you
also have other anonymous addresses and a public address with the same
prefix.) Now you receive an RA with a matching prefix information option.
The lifetimes in the option are 1 day preferred and 1 week valid. You don't
want to change the lifetimes of the existing anonymous address.

Hence, the rules for processing lifetimes in prefix information options do
need a special case for anonymous addresses.

Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 12:18:55 +0200

prefix.)

=> I believe this anonymous address is an old one, ie. its preferred lifetime
is zero because its regen lifetime has expired.

   Now you receive an RA with a matching prefix information option.
   The lifetimes in the option are 1 day preferred and 1 week valid. You don't
   want to change the lifetimes of the existing anonymous address.
   
=> when the regen lifetime has expired received RAs can only shorten the
valid lifetime, for instance if the announced valid lifetime is X,
the remaining valid lifetime Y with X < Y then the valid lifetime will be
set to X modulo the two hour rule.
 When the regen lifetime has not expired then the standard RA processing
can be used.

=> yes but my purpose was (and still is) to get a simpler set of rules
and I think this is easier with three lifetimes than with a hierarchy
of exceptions: just apply the KISS principle (:-).

Thanks

[email-masked]