Subject: RE: sin6_flowinfo and sendto/recvfrom

From: Tim Hartrick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 10:15:08 -0700 (PDT)

Jinmei,

> 
> It's true that flow IDs are source oriented, but if sin6_scope_id is
> ignored in (e.g.) connect(), how can we call connect() without binding
> beforehand and with specifying the flow ID?
>

I assume you intended to say sin6_flowinfo above.

The answer is, you couldn't.  If you wanted to use a flow ID you would
need to assign it to the socket before connecting.  To me this makes
perfect sense since it is analogous to binding to a specific port or
letting the stack choose the local port for the you.

If you want a specific port or flow ID you must bind.  If you don't care
what value is chosen then don't bind.

Tim Hartrick
Mentat Inc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 02:19:09 +0900

>>>>> On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 10:15:08 -0700 (PDT), 
>>>>> Tim Hartrick <[email-masked]> said:

> I assume you intended to say sin6_flowinfo above.

Oops, that's right. I've made this type of mistakes several
times...sorry.

> letting the stack choose the local port for the you.

Hmm, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------