Subject: RE: quick autoconf question

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 12:47:52 -0700

> Maybe I misunderstand the issue, but it seems obvious that a node MUST
> accept the NA. If it doesn't accept the NA, DAD won't work. I.e., you
> rely on someone else returning an NA to indicate that the tentative
> address is in use. If you discard it without processing it, the DAD
> code won't see it either. What am I missing?

This interpretation question does not affect normal DAD operation because
the DAD packets are multicast - the NS is sent to a solicited-node multicast
address and the NA is sent to the all-nodes-on-link multicast address.

The question has to do with NA & NS where the destination address (== the
target address) is tentative.

Thanks,
Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 16:10:00 -0400

> address and the NA is sent to the all-nodes-on-link multicast

Oh, right. The sender of the DAD NS uses an unspecified source
address, so the response can't be unicast.

> target address) is tentative.

Seems like that shouldn't be happening normally. So the TAHI
interpretation seems reasonable. Either way, the cited wording in 2462
could be better.

Thomas