Subject: IPv6 Flow Label

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 16:44:19 -0700

[Was "Re: Revised IPng Working Group Charter"]

Thinking about the discussion on what to do with the IPv6 flow label field, 
I have couple of thoughts.

The discussion about the best working group for this work is somewhat 
academic until there is a concrete proposal (i.e, an internet draft) for 
what do with it.

The intent of the words in the draft charter was to say that if someone has 
a concrete proposal for how to use the IPv6 flow label field, they should 
present it to the IPng w.g.  It will be easy once that happens to move it 
to a more appropriate w.g. if it makes sense.

Just because we have the IPv6 flow label bits "available" it is not at all 
clear we want to do anything with them today.  Our experience with IPv4 is 
that it would have been very nice to have had some open bits available for 
future use.  The IP world will change in unexpected ways.  These bits may 
become very useful 5-10 years from now.  They may be needed for something 
that has not been thought of today.

It might be much better to encourage experimentation with the flow label 
bits than to standardize something now.  Lets use them wisely.

Bob

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------