Subject: reason behind 1280bytes as minimal MTU

From: Jerome Etienne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 17:29:56 -0400

Hi,

I look for the reasons behind 1280bytes as minimal IPv6 MTU. Where can 
i find informations to answer questions such as "how it has been choosen ?"
or "why 1280 and not 1024 or 1500 ?"

	thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ville Nummela <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 09:48:11 +0300

> or "why 1280 and not 1024 or 1500 ?"

The size was chosen so that most packets would get through without
fragmentation. Much more detailed reasons can be found from the mailing list
archive, try this address:
http://www.wcug.wwu.edu/lists/ipng/199711/msg00052.html

--
 |   [email-masked] tel: +358-40-5075560
 |   So Linus, what are we doing tonight?
 |   The same thing we every night Tux. Try to take over the world!