Subject: ipv4 over ipv6?

From: Emanuel Monticelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:35:20 +0000

Hi all

Is there any stack that can incapsulate ipv4 in ipv6 packet, making ipv4
connection over an ipv6 network ?

Thanks

Emanuel Monticelli

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ignatios Souvatzis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 11:05:02 +0100

> connection over an ipv6 network ?

The KAME stack (e.g., as distributed with NetBSD 1.5 or later or
FreeBSD) can do this... the "gif" virtual network device can
encapsulate anythin in anything.

Regards,
	-is

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 11:24:44 +0100

In your previous mail you wrote:

=> all BSD stacks have this (which is very simple). This is called gif
(which is ipvX over ipvY for any X,Y) on KAME (derived) stacks.
I use a dynamic version for DTSM (the code is available only on "INRIA"
stack today as far as I know).
For instance for a point-to-point tunnel:
gifconfig gif0 inet6 <my_IPv6_address> <his_IPv6_address>
ifconfig gif0 inet <my_IPv4_address> <his_IPv4_address> netmask 255.255.255.255 up
route change default <his_IPv4_address>
(from a real config, there are other examples in the KAME snap mailing list).

Regards

[email-masked]

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 11:24:44 +0100

*This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(tm) Pro*
 In your previous mail you wrote:

Regards

---

From: Ignatios Souvatzis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 11:05:02 +0100

Regards,
	-is