Subject: Java 2 and IPv6?

From: Kevin Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 09:05:23 -0800

Hi, All,

I am going to move from Network layer to Transport layer. Any one can
tell if I can use Sun Java 2 for IPv6 programming? I mean does Java 2
support IPv6?
Any pointer to the resources will be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pekka Nikander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 19:53:55 +0200

> Any pointer to the resources will be greatly appreciated.

As far as I know, Sun is considering IPv6 support for JDK 1.4.
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about its schedule.

On the other hand, Janne Lundberg of HUT created experimental
IPv6 support for Linux JDK 1.3 (or was it JDK1.2.2) last summer.
I don't know if he has made it publicly available, but maybe
he could comment the state of the work himself.

--Pekka Nikander

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 20:33:51 +0000 (GMT)

> Unfortunately, I don't know anything about its schedule.

It seems IPv6/Java will be available from Sun sometime this summer, for 1.4.

In the meantime...

There was a presentation on a Java/v6 port called Jano at the Madrid
event this week.  The URLs I noted down were:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jano

and http://www.dit.upm.es/~jsr/jano

But I haven't looked at it yet.  The chap said he hadn't spoken to Sun
(he said he got fed up waiting, so he did the code..)

Tim