Subject: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-lutchann-ipv6-intro-00.txt

From: Nathan Lutchansky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 10:45:44 -0400 (EDT)

All,

I rewrote my IPv6 primer into an I-D, which was posted this morning.  I
would appreciate comments about it, either on the list or in Seattle in a
few weeks.  Much of the content hasn't changed from February, but I did
add a section on IPsec.

Note that I haven't had time to fully integrate all of the comments I
received last time I solicited comments, but I still have them all and
will take them into account when I revise again in June.

Thanks.  -Nathan

- ---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 06:59:09 -0400
From: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce:  ;
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-lutchann-ipv6-intro-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A Technical Introduction to IPv6
	Author(s)	: N. Lutchansky
	Filename	: draft-lutchann-ipv6-intro-00.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 18-May-01

This document attempts to provide an introduction to each of the new
features of the Internet Protocol, version 6 (IPv6), including
transitional mechanisms for interoperating in a mixed IPv4/IPv6
environment.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lutchann-ipv6-intro-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-lutchann-ipv6-intro-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-lutchann-ipv6-intro-00.txt".

NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jung Cyndi-ACJ099 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 13:42:35 -0500

Nathan,

Here are just a few comments:

I find it odd that you begin the IPv6 discussion with multihoming -
you really should begin with the addressing, and if you do have a
section covering routing then multihoming belongs there.

Section 5.5, last pargraph first sentence has a typ-O "IPv6-mapped"
addresses that could be misleading to a first-time reader.

Section 5.6 - Needs a paragraph on multicast scoping, certainly because it
uses them in the ND discussion which is the next section.  The ANYCAST
discussion is first sane one I've seen.

Section 6 - Can you really get all the configuration info required to
operate from ND?  Can you get the address of a DNS server?
Also, I think the use of the "solicited node multicast address" in ND is
important enough to be explained here - if left out, a person that understands
how ARP works would never get how ND resolves IP->media address.

Now that you've added IPSec, you might try adding Mobile IP into this primer.

Thanks,

Cyndi

-----Original Message-----
From: Nathan Lutchansky [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2001 3:46 PM
To: ipng mailing list
Subject: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-lutchann-ipv6-intro-00.txt

All,

Thanks.  -Nathan

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type: