Subject: Re: nonexisting destination on p2p link

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 07:03:17 -0400

[email-masked] writes:

> 	KAME code has a special code (disabled by default) for this case, like
> 	- suppose I am a router.  if the packet comes in from interface Ix,
> 	  and goes out again to Ix, and interface Ix is a p2p link, I do not
> 	  forward the packet.  instead, I'd emit ICMPv6 no route to
> host.

Won't this result in ICMP no route messages also being generated for
packets being forwarded back out the same link via the routing header?
I.e., perfecly legal packets that don't cause problems get dropped?

Seems like if such a rule were to be defined, it needs to be more
nuanced than written above.

Thomas
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 05:42:39 +0900

>>>>> On Tue, 01 May 2001 07:03:17 -0400, 
>>>>> Thomas Narten <[email-masked]> said:

> I.e., perfecly legal packets that don't cause problems get dropped?

As for the KAME's implementation, no.  Actually, the "special code" is
a special case of sending redirect messages, and the entire part
follows the first paragraph of RFC 2461, Section 8.2:

8.2.  Router Specification

   A router SHOULD send a redirect message, subject to rate limiting,
   whenever it forwards a packet that is not explicitly addressed to
   itself (i.e. a packet that is not source routed through the router)
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   in which:
   ...

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------