Subject: Re: RIR ISP to end-user address allocation policy?

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 13:35:25 -0400

Thomas Narten <[email-masked]> writes:

> This concern is being raised by others, and the registry communities
> have recently begun discussing whether the /35 boundary should be
> changed. See the "Next Steps" slide in the presentation you cited
> earlier
> (http://www.ripe.net/ripe/meetings/archive/ripe-39/presentations/ipv6develop/sld017.html),
> for example.

Note also, that if you want to follow these discussions more closely,
you might want to get on the appropriate RIR mailing lists. For
example, see:

    http://www.ripe.net/ripe/wg/ipv6/index.html
    http://www.arin.net/members/mailing.htm (and go to the IPv6 entry
	    at the bottom).
    http://www.apnic.net/wilma-bin/wilma/sig-ipv6 (though it has had
	    almost no traffic)

Thomas	    
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "JIM FLEMING" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 12:51:59 -0500

You might have missed this...
Time for a celebration....it's OVER !!!!....
...good-bye ICANN.....and IPv6 allocations...

-------------

Prodigy® joins New.net's Team of ISP Partners

New.net's Current ISP and Download Agreements to Cover
43% of U.S. Internet Users by September

Pasadena, Calif. — May 14, 2001 — New.net (http://www.new.net), a domain
name registry created to meet the market demand for Web addresses with
logical, easy-to-remem ber extensions, today announced an agreement with
Prodigy Communications (NASDAQ: PRGY), a leading U.S. Internet service
provider (I SP), that will increase the number of ISP accounts with access
to New.net domains by more than three million.

New.net offers Prodigy customers access to new top-level domains (TLDs) such
as .shop, .mp3, .inc, .kids, .sports, .family, .chat, .video, .club, .hola,
.soc, .med, .law, .travel, .game, .free, .ltd, .gmbh, and .tech. New.net has
developed a proprietary approach, using software technology deployed at
either the network level by partner ISPs or on individual PCs, to add new
TLDs to the existing Internet naming system.

"Prodigy was one of the early pioneers in providing Internet service and is
once again taking an industry-leading position," said David Hernand, CEO of
New.net. "Their participation will help significantly in our effort to drive
adoption of New.net domain names."

As part of the agreement with Prodigy, New.net will create a co-branded
domain name registration site where Prodigy customers will be able to
purchase Web addresses that use the new extensions.

"New.net helps satisfy our customers' demand for shorter, more descriptive
domain names that they can use," said Gregory G. Williams, chief operating
officer of Prodigy. "Our partnership with New.net provides a great and
timely customer benefit for Prodigy members."

This new agreement adds to the growing base of Internet users who can reach
Web sites with New.net domain names. Combining those who are customers of
partner ISPs and those who receive the company's plug-in software via a
download partner, New.net estimates that the number of unique Internet users
in the U.S. who will have access to these new domains in May 2001 will be
approximately 42 million growing to 54 million by September 2001. These
users represent 34 percent of the U.S. Census Bureau's estimate of total
Internet users in May, growing to 43 percent in September.

Prodigy is the latest to join New.net's current set of high-profile ISP
partners: Earthlink (NASDAQ: ELNK), NetZero (NASDAQ: NZRO), Juno (NASDAQ:
JWEB) and Excite@Home (NASDAQ: ATHM). New.net will continue to develop
strategic partnerships with ISPs of all sizes to expand the availability of
the new names at the network level. ISPs that wish to add the ability to
view the New.net domains can find instructions as well as system software
download instructions by visiting www.new.net. Web users who do not use one
of the partner ISPs can activate their Internet browsers to recognize the
new domain names in a few seconds by visiting the same site.

New.net will continue to develop strategic partnerships with ISPs of all
sizes to continue to expand the ava ilability of the new names at the
network level. ISPs that wish to add the ability to view the New.net domains
can find instruction s by visiting www.new.net. Web users who do not use one
of the partner ISPs can activate their Internet browsers to recognize the n
ew domain names in a few seconds by visiting the same site.

About Prodigy Communications Corporation (www.prodigy.com):

Prodigy Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: PRGY) is one of the nation's
largest Internet service providers serving both owned and managed Dial and
DSL subscribers. With its alliance with SBC Communications, Prodigy is the
industry leader in serving DSL subscribers. Prodigy delivers fast and
reliable Internet access and user-friendly Internet-based products, services
and information via a nationwide network covering more than 850 locations in
all 50 states, allowing more than 90 percent of the U.S. population to
access Prodigy's Dial service with a local telephone call. Prodigy features
superior content, e-mail and e-mail attachment capabilities, Prodigy Instant
Messaging™, Prodigy Chat™, and Prodigy Online Communities, combined with the
accessibility and freedom of direct access to the World Wide Web for all
users. ProdigyBiz offers a powerful suite of specially designed Internet
products and services for small business owners. Prodigy® en Espanol™, is
the nation's first-ever, fully bilingual Spanish/English-language Internet
service created especially for the U.S. Spanish-speaking population.

About New.net

New.net (http://www.new.net) is building the Internet's leading
market-driven domain name registry business by selling domain names with
logical, easy-to-remember top-level domain extensions that make the Internet
easier to navigate. Based in Pasadena, California, the company was started
in May 2000 by idealab!, a leading Internet incubator. Since that time,
New.net has developed proprietary technology that allows its domain-naming
system to exist alongside the traditional naming systems currently in use on
the Internet.

Jim Fleming
http://www.unir.com
http://www.unir.com/images/architech.gif
http://www.unir.com/images/address.gif
http://www.unir.com/images/headers.gif

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Thomas Narten
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 12:35 PM
To: Pekka Savola
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: RIR ISP to end-user address allocation policy?

> changed. See the "Next Steps" slide in the presentation you cited
(http://www.ripe.net/ripe/meetings/archive/ripe-39/presentations/ipv6develop
/sld017.html),

Thomas

---

From: Ignatios Souvatzis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 10:12:23 +0200

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 12:51:59PM -0500, JIM FLEMING wrote:
> ...good-bye [...] and IPv6 allocations...

please excuse if this sounds rude, but ...
did you READ the press release you forwarded to this list?

	-is