Subject: Address configuration

From: "Emanuel Moreira" <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 May 2001 14:38:03 -0000

I'm using Red Hat 7.1 and trying to configure an IPv6 address but I can't do it. Can any one tell me where can I get some information about this?
Another question, I have configured a 6to4 router in windows 2000 will the host with Linux get the routes anounced by the router?

_____________________________________________________________
O e-mail preferido dos portugueses http://www.portugalmail.pt

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 21:54:49 +0300 (EEST)

> I'm using Red Hat 7.1 and trying to configure an IPv6 address but I can't do it. Can any one tell me where can I get some information about this?

Read the Source, Luke. ;-)

/usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/ contains a couple of files describing
step by step how to set up a tunnel, and the usual stuff required for
configuring IPv6.

Basically, if you want to autoconfigure a workstation from a router in
the same LAN, adding:

NETWORKING_IPV6=yes
IPV6INIT=yes

in your /etc/sysconfig/network and doing '/sbin/service network restart'
should do the trick.

You might also want to check http://www.bieringer.de/ pages on IPv6 on
RHL.

> Another question, I have configured a 6to4 router in windows 2000 will the host with Linux get the routes anounced by the router?

Yes.

Until very recently, however, Linux kernel broke RFC2461 so that it sent
lladdr option in neighbour solicitations originating from the unspecified
address.  Implementations MUST drop these as per the same RFC.  If Windows
2000 implementation is strict about this, there might be some problems
communicating with the two systems.

This will be fixed in RHL errata kernel which is to come out sooner or
later.

Note, I don't think [email-masked] is the correct place for this
kind of implementation-specific basic issues.  I suggest using some other
list (e.g. [email-masked], or a RHL-specific one) for that.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords