Subject: RE: DNS Server

From: "Dollinger, MatthewX" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 12:06:23 -0700

Setup the DNS server as you normally would.  The Ipv6 addresses will be
entered as AAAA (Quad A) addresses.

On each 'V6 system, it's best to have an updated hosts file.  I like to make
sure they all have the same file...makes it easier to setup and know who has
what.  

You may have to use your 'V6 DNS names as shown in the following example:
DNS server:			dns.ipv6.ipv6.com
	DNS entry for 'V6 system:	client1
	Usage:				client1.ipv6.ipv6.com

I haven't messed with it enough to determine what is doing it but, there
have been several times that I have had to use the full DNS name (like in
the example) and others where just the systems name (i.e. client1) is
enough.  If anyone has insight to the why's of this, it would make life a
tad easier for me.  :)

Does this answer your questions?

"You know, sometimes it is the artist's task to find out how much music you
can still make with what you have left."  --- Itzhak Perlman (Nov. 18,
1995,)
Matthew Dollinger
NQL
CDI/Intel

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Emanuel Moreira [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent:	Thursday, May 31, 2001 11:33 AM
To:	[email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject:	DNS Server

I want to configure a DNS server in a IPv6 network and I want to make
query's from my Windows 2000 host. How can I configure a route to the DNS
Server in this host or is not like in IPv4?
Or else should the DNS send some advertisements to the hosts?
Thanks
Emanuel Moreira

_____________________________________________________________
O e-mail preferido dos portugueses http://www.portugalmail.pt
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------