Subject: draft-kitamura-ipv6-name-auto-reg-00.txt

From: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 18:00:21 +0900

- to query the hostname (or maybe FQDN domain name), from registrar, 
	  you may be able to use ICMPv6 node information query.
	- at detector, you can't differentiate between temporary address and
	  non-temporary address.  there's no indication available on the 128bit
	  address bits.

itojun
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:09:34 +0300 (EEST)

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:

Also see my worries wrt. severe DoS attacks with DAD's and the like on the
list on 16 Jul (haven't been commented on).

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

---

From: Atsushi Onoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 10:29:53 +0100 (BST)

> 	  non-temporary address.  there's no indication available on the 128bit

ICMPv6 node information query should not open node information if
the query is destined to a temporary address, IMO.
And the registration should be done only when detector or registrar
successfully get an answer for the node information query.
Thus the registration of a temporary address can be avoided.

Atsushi Onoe

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:21:02 +0200

In your previous mail you wrote:

=> I disagree: a very simple idea is to test the (in)famous universal/local
bit of the interface ID...

[email-masked]

PS: I complain against the unfair suggestion to send this draft to
the DNSext WG!

---

From: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 19:23:32 +0900

>bit of the interface ID...

	there are non-temporary address with u/l bit set to "local".

itojun

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 19:30:05 +0900

>>>>> On Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:21:02 +0200, 
>>>>> Francis Dupont <[email-masked]> said:

> bit of the interface ID...

I don't think so.  Even for stateless-autoconfigured hosts, it should
be allowed to use non-EUD, non-random interface IDs.  That is, a
public autoconfigured address can have an interface address with the
universal/local bit being turned off (unlike EUI-64 IDs).  We cannot
syntactically tell such public addresses from temporary addresses.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ignatios Souvatzis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:42:09 +0200

> bit of the interface ID...

Doesn't work in a lot of cases.

- machines without Ethernet, only a PPP (or ARCnet) connection, won't have
  any global EUI64 to use
- machines configured by DHCP won't use the EUI64-mapped EUI48

Regards,
	-is