Subject: Re: Followup question re ICMPv6 Time Exceeded Message Code 1

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 08:53:23 +0900

>>>>> On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 19:42:32 -0400, 
>>>>> John Border <[email-masked]> said:

>     Is the sending of a Time Exceeded IPCMv6 message with a Code of 1
> ("fragment reassembly time exceeded") a MUST, a SHOULD or an OPTIONAL for a
> host which discards an IPv6 packet for this reason?  

I guess it is a SHOULD.

      If insufficient fragments are received to complete reassembly of a
      packet within 60 seconds of the reception of the first-arriving
      fragment of that packet, reassembly of that packet must be
      abandoned and all the fragments that have been received for that
      packet must be discarded.  If the first fragment (i.e., the one
      with a Fragment Offset of zero) has been received, an ICMP Time
      Exceeded -- Fragment Reassembly Time Exceeded message should be  <---
      sent to the source of that fragment.
(RFC 2460, Section 4.5)

(Note that RFC 2460 does not contain any capitalized terminologies
like MUST/SHOULD/MAY/etc.)

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------