Subject: IPv6 over PPP / ethernet

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 16:17:47 +0200

Hello,

I have a question on the transport of IPv6 over PPP and ethernet interfaces:

* IPv6 over PPP: Looking into RFC 2472 I understand that IPv6 and IPv4 packets have a different PPP protocol number. However, are there any implementations that use the same PPP protocol number for IPv4 and IPv6 packets but with a different version number
in the IP header?

* IPv6 over ethernet: Are there any implementations that use the same ether type number for IPv4 and IPv6 packets but with a different version number in the IP header?

Thanks.

     Francis.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 14:52:07 +0900

>* IPv6 over PPP: Looking into RFC 2472 I understand that IPv6 and
>IPv4 packets have a different PPP protocol number. However, are
>there any implementations that use the same PPP protocol number
>for IPv4 and IPv6 packets but with a different version number
>in the IP header?
>
>* IPv6 over ethernet: Are there any implementations that use the
>same ether type number for IPv4 and IPv6 packets but with a different
>version number in the IP header?

	I guess noone is doing that, for both questions.  if someone did that,
	they won't interoperate with others.

itojun