Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: AAA for IPv6

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 17:50:39 -0500

Bernard,

thanks for your answer and the clarification. 

I agree that the application for the Mobile IPv6 specific case is
dependent on the work in URP, since a protocol between the MN and the
network needs to be defined to support the authorization and
authentication (and optionally other features) of the IPv6 node. It is
exactly for this reason that I suggested that the correct home for the
work item proposed by Charlie (related to AAAv6) would be URP and not
AAA WG. I would also add that if positive progress happens in URP, URP
may indicate AAA WG the need for such an application.

I also understand your concern about the relation between new
applications and protocols defined in other WGs that have not been
closed completely yet. 

However, the issues under discussion in MIPv6 do not impact the MIPv6
application proposed in the draft
draft-le-aaa-diameter-mobileipv6-00.txt. In fact, unless the protocol is
heavily modified besides the aspects for security of BUs (quite
improbable), the draft for the MIPv6 application still applies. For this
reason, I believe the group can still start working on such application.

Moreover, I believe the title of the draft may be misleading and for
this reason is going to be changed and the draft re-submitted. In fact,
the draft applies in general to the support through the AAA Diameter
infrastructure of authorization of network access for IPv6 nodes,
authentication of the IPv6 node and key distribution for the IPv6 node.
In addition, if the node happens to be a Mobile IPv6 node, support of
mobility can be provided. For these reasons, the draft is not directly
dependent on the fate of Mobile IPv6, and from your description of the
charter I believe it applies to the AAA WG.

Stefano F.

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Bernard Aboba [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2001 1:23 PM
To: Faccin Stefano (NRC/Dallas)
Cc: [email-masked]; Perkins Charles (IPRG); [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: AAA for IPv6

> As for the AAA WG charter, if I'm not wrong in the current charter it
is
> written that "The protocol must include attributes in support for IPv6
> network access". What this actually mean is not so clear to me, since
it
> can be read in several ways. Can somebody clarify it? 

The current charter refers to enabling IPv6 network access in
conventional NAS applications (e.g. PPPv6). Since Mobile IPv6 work was
not
complete at the time the original requirements work was done, AAA for
MIPv6 was not included in the charter. 

In general, addition of a AAA WG charter item for MIPv6 is only
appropriate when the appropriate subject area WGs have completed their
work. So work on the authentication architecture for MIPv6 needs to
occur
outside AAA WG where the appropriate subject matter experts
reside. Once those experts have reached consensus and produced a
document, the AAA WG can consider that document as input. This process
ensures proper coordination between the AAA WG and subject area WGs. 

So a AAA WG work item for MIPv6 is dependent on progress within the
BURP and MIPv6 communities. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 20:48:21 -0700 (PDT)

> I believe the title of the draft may be misleading and for

Has this draft been presented within the IPNG WG? Since IPv6 architecture
occurs within IPNG WG, the proposed IPv6/AAA authentication 
architecture would need to be presented and gain consensus within the IPNG
WG before a AAA WG work item could be considered.