Subject: AAA for IPv6

From: Charlie Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 17:40:31 -0700

Hello folks,

At the IPv6 meeting in IETF 51, there was a discussion about whether
the AAA working group should consider the possibility of accepting a
work item to standardize a protocol to enable the use of AAA to
authorize network access for IPv6 nodes.  The general sense of the
working group seemed quite positive on suggesting that such a thing
would be appropriate.

I am specifically _not_ asking whether our AAAv6 document should
be considered as a working group document within the AAA working
group.  That would be a matter for the AAA working group to consider.
I am only attempting to find out whether the general sense of the
working group is the same as the general sense that was expressed
at IETF 51.  If approval is voiced, or at least objections are not
raised, then I will relay the information to the AAA working group.

Regards,
Charlie P.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 07:38:20 -0700

I think that the AAA WG should expand its charter to allow for folks in
other WGs looking at using AAA in their application to come forth. Perhaps
the AAA WG would be a place for the Diameter application to be created.

I am, however, afraid of boiling the ocean, so we need to be very careful
in what work items we accept. We do, however, want to make sure that we
don't end up with n number of accounting protocols in the IETF (something
that is actually happening as I type). So, keeping some order is a good
thing. If the WG goes away, it becomes the IESG's responsibility.

My 2 cents,

PatC