Subject: Re: draft-kitamura-ipv6-name-auto-reg-00.txt

From: "Roy Brabson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 11:55:50 +0100

On Friday, 08/10/2001 at 12:21 ZE2, Francis Dupont
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>  In your previous mail you wrote:
>
>         - at detector, you can't differentiate between temporary address
and
>           non-temporary address.  there's no indication available on the
128bit
>           address bits.
>
> => I disagree: a very simple idea is to test the (in)famous
universal/local
> bit of the interface ID...

But only if the interface ID is generated as an EUI-64.  DHCP, manual
configuration, and even stateless address autoconfig without privacy
extensions may (and likely will) use interface IDs which are only locally
unique.

Roy

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------