Subject: RE: Wrap up and last call: sin6_scope_id semantics

From: "Dave Thaler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:08:21 -0700

Jinmei writes:
> > I also prefer eth0 over link12.  Using the names used to define the
> zones
> > (either the default interface names or actual zone definitions)
seems to
> be
> > more useful than generating a somewhat arbitrary name and displaying
> that.
> > How is the user supposed to correlate link12 back to the actual eth0
> > interface, anyway?  I imagine another external or display could be
used,
> > but this would seem to introduce yet another step for a user to
identify
> > the particular interface/zone in question.
> 
> When we can assume one-to-one mapping between interfaces and links,
> that's true.  However, if two (or more) different interfaces belong
> to a single link, using interface names as link IDs would be rather
> confusing (we'll lose the uniqueness of the ID, or we'll have to care
> about which interface is "primary" in the link".)

I'd point out that with the "flexible 4+28" method, specifying "eth0" in
place of "link12" would work, regardless of whether there was 1 or
multiple interfaces attached to link12.  Another advantage of the
flexible method :)

-Dave
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 12:12:22 +0900

>>>>> On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:08:21 -0700, 
>>>>> "Dave Thaler" <[email-masked]> said:

> multiple interfaces attached to link12.  Another advantage of the

Probably, but even so, we'll still lose the uniqueness of zone IDs.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------