Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: AAA for IPv6

From: "Patil Basavaraj (NET/Dallas)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:46:47 -0500

Hi Jarno,

>
>Thomas,
>
>The WG chairs may correct me if I misunderstood, but at the last AAA WG
>meeting it was evident that even work clearly on the current charter,
like
>Mobile IPv6 Application (extension), do not get taken up by the WG. At
least
>not before the current work is finished, and maybe the WG is
re-chartered
>etc. So it seems hopeless to even think about work on areas outside, or
>bordering the current charter.
>

I agree with your assesment of the conclusions reached at the AAA WG
meeting at the last IETF.
The AAA WG currently has "Diameter Mobile IPv4 Application
(draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-mobileip-07.txt)" as a WG item. At IETF51 we
proposed "Diameter Mobile IPv6 Application"
(draft-le-aaa-diameter-mobileipv6-00.txt) to be considered as a WG
item. The response was that the AAA WG charter would need to be
modified before new work items were taken up. This may happen before
the next IETF meeting or sooner (at least from what I understood at
the meeting in London). But I am not completely clear why the WG has
to be recharterd to take on a new application when the same
application for IPv4 is already a part of the WG agenda.
I can accept the AAA WG not taking on the Diameter for MIPv6
application immediatley, because MIPv6 itself is not complete (yet).

>I think the URP WG should be chartered ASAP and AAAv6 taken there as a
>possible solution. 

Taking up solutions while we are still grappling with the URP charter
and
the specific boundaries of the problem may seem a bit like placing the
cart before the horse.

>Where can I find the current proposal for the URP
>charter?
>

We are currently working on a new charter and will publish it
soon. The charter that we had going into IETF51 can be obtained from
the WG/BOFs agendas URL. I will also send a copy of the previous
charter to the URP list if it helps.

>With regards,
>Jarno

Cheers,
-Basavaraj
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 09:20:06 -0700 (PDT)

> application immediatley, because MIPv6 itself is not complete (yet).

Bingo. Once the remaining MIPv6 issues are ironed out, we can consider
this.