Subject: Question on ICMPv6

From: Ranjeeta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 10:54:50 -0700

Hi,
 Does anybody know what RFC I should refer to for ICMPv6 Checksum
calculation? 

Thanks,
Ranjeeta

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Brian McGehee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 14:40:34 -0700

The following may lead you to the right information.

Section 2.3 of rfc 2463

2.3 Message Checksum Calculation
The checksum is the 16-bit one's complement of the one's complement sum of
the entire ICMPv6 message starting with the ICMPv6 message type field,
prepended with a "pseudo-header" of IPv6 header fields, as specified in
[IPv6, section 8.1]. The Next Header value used in the pseudo-header is 58.
(NOTE: the inclusion of a pseudo-header in the ICMPv6 checksum is a change
from IPv4; see [IPv6] for the rationale for this change.)

For computing the checksum, the checksum field is set to zero.

...happy hunting

Brian McGehee
Zama Networks
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www.zama.net/Static.po?name=zacademy

/o)\
\(o/

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Ranjeeta
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2001 10:55 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: Question on ICMPv6

Hi,

Thanks,
Ranjeeta