Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-roesler-ipngwg-ipngls-00.txt

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 09:21:06 +0300 (EEST)

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Rajesh Ramankutty wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The idea of carrying MPLS labels in IPv6 packet destination options is
> already patented by us in 3Com.

Thanks!

Now we have two main reasons not to standardize this. :-)

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 14:11:39 -0500

> Now we have two main reasons not to standardize this. :-)

Well, actually the non-draft says 
"This document is an Internet Draft and is in full conformance with 
 all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026."

However, it is a truly dreadful idea for the same reason that I mentioned
for draft-roesler. We have no business contaminating the IP layer with
MPLS.

  Brian