Subject: Re: Preferred and Valid Lifetimes

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 00:25:25 +0900

>>>>> On Tue, 21 Aug 2001 09:22:10 +0530, 
>>>>> "Sivaramakrishnan A" <[email-masked]> said:

> When the ValidLifeTime and PreferredLifeTime are specified in two ways
> given, there exists a conflict on when to set the
> lifetime as fixed /decrementing. What is the condition under which the
> LifeTime is set to be fixed and under which situation
> is it to be set decrementing?

In my understanding, spec does not say anything about the "conflict".
Our implementation allows a router to configure two lifetimes
separately; for example, valid lifetime can be decreased in real time,
while preferred lifetime can be a static value, as long as the latter
does not larger than the former.

> Is there any way to configure them by SNMP
> Manager.
> If yes, what is the standard MIB to be used? (I couldn't find any relevant
> object in standard MIB specified under RFC 2465!)

I'm not sure about MIBs, but "Router Renumbering for IPv6" defined in
RFC2894 might be used for this purpose.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------