Subject: Question about IPv6 Anycast address

From: Kevin Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 15:10:09 -0500

Hi All,
According to ADDR ARCH, the anycast address has two restrictions:
*Anycast address MUST NOT be used as source address;
*Anycast address MUST NOT be assigned to an IPv6 host. - this seems
conflicts with the anycast definition.
Anycast address is an identifier for a set of interfaces(typically
belonging to different nodes).
My understanding of 'node', according to IPv6 SPEC, includes hosts and
routers.
Any pointer for me to better understand this would be appreciative.

Kevin

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 09:52:39 +0900

>conflicts with the anycast definition.

	I don't think they conflict.  you may want to check 
	draft-ietf-ipngwg-ipv6-anycast-analysis-00.txt.

itojun

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 16:57:02 +0300 (EEST)

> 	draft-ietf-ipngwg-ipv6-anycast-analysis-00.txt.

The analysis draft just clarifies what was meant.

Being pedantic, the RFC2373 text should talk about routers, not nodes.

Or better yet, the restriction should be removed as being a purely
operational difficulty that can be worked around.  I'd hope this would be
done before new addr arch draft goes out of the door (commented on it
already) and addrarch will be frozen again for a a couple of years.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords