Subject: Question about stateless address autoconfiguration

From: "Chae-yong Chong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 13:42:31 +0900

Hi, all

I get a question about IPv6 stateless address autoconfiguration.

RFC2462 said that:

5.5.3 Router Advertisement Processing

       If the sum of the prefix length and interface identifier length
       does not equal 128 bits, the Prefix Information option MUST be
       ignored.  An implementation MAY wish to log a system management
       error in this case. It is the responsibility of the system
       administrator to insure that the lengths of prefixes contained in
       Router Advertisements are consistent with the length of interface
       identifiers for that link type. Note that interface identifiers
       will typically be 64-bits long and based on EUI-64 identifiers as
       described in [ADDR-ARCH].

Does that mean that MN could not generate its unique global unicast address
unless a router advertise its prefix length as 64. What if a host attached to
a link which is administered by a router which has non-64 bits long prefix?
In this case the stateless address autoconfiguration is not applicable?

I am not sure the stateless address autoconfiguration is only applied to
the bottom subnet which prefix length is 64?

I think this issue may be already resolved in this mailing list. But I can not
find any information from IPv6 archive. 

Chae-yong

--------------------------------------------
Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd
E-mail : [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------