Subject: Re: (usagi-users 00767) Re: source routing honored by hosts?

From: YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / 吉藤英明 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2001 23:09:56 +0900

In article <[email-masked]> (at Sun, 9 Sep 2001 15:55:21 +0300 (EEST)), Pekka Savola <[email-masked]> says:

> There has not been an "official" statement on ipng IETF list on this, but
> the general consensus seems to be that hosts should not forward
> source-routed frames, at least by default.

Who did say that it should be disabled by default?
Consensus seems to be "hosts are expected to forward source-routed 
frames by default."

...or, do I misunderstand something?

We need the conclusion of this discussion...

--
yoshfuji
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 17:26:00 +0300 (EEST)

> We need the conclusion of this discussion...

I think it was quite widely accepted (at least nobody objected, thus I
said "consensus") that _hosts_, at least by default, should not forward
source-routed packets.

"local source-routing" from IPv4 context (same incoming/outgoing
interface) was also mentioned w.r.t. host behaviour.

There were ... arguments back and forth whether forwarding source-routed
packets by default is safe (enough) for routers.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords