Subject: IPv6 RAW packets

From: "Lori Napoli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 12:49:57 -0400

Just curious what other implementations are  doing with RAW IPv6 packets.
When you send the packet back up to the application are you including the
IPv6 header and all the extension headers?  Theoretically, an application
that is performing ICMP ECHO/ECHOREPLIES doesn't need anything in the IPv6
header or extension header but obviously an application that is performing
Neighbor Discovery would.   If you are returning the IPv6 header and
extension headers, then I imagine all the IPv6 RAW applications need to add
code to handle all the extension headers since the IPv6 header doesn't have
a field that gives the length of all the headers like IPv4.  Right?

Lori

z/OS Communications Server Development - TCP/IP Stack

919-254-6146   T/L 8-444-6146
E-mail: [email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Vladislav Yasevich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 13:58:23 -0400

Lori

Compaq's implementation returns back just raw data asked for
unless IP_HDRINCL was set.  The app may set Advanced API options
to get any extension headers it wants.  If IP_HDRINCL is set,
the entire header chain is returned.

-vlad

-- 
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Vladislav Yasevich		Tel: (603) 884-1079
Compaq Computer Corp.		Fax: (435) 514-6884
110 Spit Brook Rd ZK03-3/T07
Nashua, NH 03062
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------