Subject: RE: ipv6 & wlan

From: Jung Cyndi-ACJ099 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 08:54:48 -0600

I have seen wlan systems having trouble with multicast and ipv6 nodes
unable to receive RAs, resulting in no global prefix at the ipv6 node.
But that was a couple of years ago, and the wlan APs are getting much
better (and cheaper).  However, that is a difference between IPv4 and IPv6
that might be overlooked by some wlan APs and NICs - that multicast is 
fundamental to IPv6 operation and still optional for IPv4.

>
>   maybe anybody has already some experience with wlan and ipv6.
>
>=> IETF meetings use wireless LAN with a far from zero part in IPv6
>without reported trouble.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 16:03:52 +0100 (CET)

There is presently now trouble with wlan cards and multicast from Lucent and
Cisco. These are the cards I use.

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 19:12:30 +0100

In your previous mail you wrote:

                      ^^^

=> I believe you mean "no" ?

   > fundamental to IPv6 operation and still optional for IPv4.

=> I saw this some years ago but today multicast works well and
equipments are 5 time cheaper. BTW I never got multicast problems
at IETF, even using old Lucent WaveLANs (Digital RoamAbout lent by
Matt Thomas).
Does somebody know whether/which IEEE 802.11b cards will be available
at Salt Lake City?

Regards

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:13:21 +0100 (CET)

> => I believe you mean "no" ?

Yes, thanks for the correction.

Martin