Subject: prefix lifetimes

From: "Sean Lin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:33:00 +1300 (NZDST)

Hi,
    There's something I'm pondering about. If this has been discussed 
before please forgive my ignorance. In RFC2461 it mentions of the
prefix list kept by routers. Prefixes can be added to this list with 
specified lifetimes. Do these prefixes have valid and preferred
lifetimes that do not decrement or do they? 
	So if a router has similar prefixes that it uses as interface 
addresses which its lifetime does decrement, wouldn't
this be bad? Since the prefix lifetime stays the same and gets advertised.
Or is the administrator suppose to prevent this from happening?

Regards,
Sean

-------------------------------------------------------------
Sean Lin                 27 Nazareth Avenue
Software Engineer        PO Box 8011
Allied Telesyn Research  Christchurch
phone +64 3 339 3000     New Zealand
fax   +64 3 339 3002     email: [email-masked]
                         web: http://www.alliedtelesyn.co.nz/
-------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------