Subject: Securing Group Management in IPv6

From: Claude Castelluccia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 18:03:21 +0100

Dear all,

We have just released a new draft  entitled "Securing Group Management
in IPv6".
Unfortunatly we've missed the IETF submission deadline but we'll submit
it
asap.

This draft can be downloaded at:
http://www.inrialpes.fr/planete/people/ccastel/draft-castelluccia-sgmv6-00.txt

We are looking forward your comments/feedbacks....

Thanks in advance...
Regards,
Claude.

======

  Abstract

   Currently, group membership management in IP multicast and
   anycast lacks sufficient security.  It can be abused by
   malicious hosts in order to launch denial-of-service (DoS)
   attacks.  The root of the problem is that routers cannot
   determine if a given host is authorized to join a group,
   sometimes referred to as the  Proof-of-Membership Problem
    We propose a solution for IPv6 based on new types of
   multicast and anycast group addresses which we respectively call
   SUCV-M and SUCV-A addresses. Their statistical and cryptographic
   characteristics lend themselves to severely limiting certain
   classes of attacks.  Our scheme is fully distributed and does
   not require any third trusted party or pre-established security
   association between the routers and the hosts.  This is not only
   a huge gain in terms of scalability, reliability and overhead,
   but also in terms of privacy.

--

----------------------------------------
Claude CASTELLUCCIA, INRIA Rhone-Alpes
ph:  +33 4.76.61.52.15 (fax: 52.52)
http://www.inrialpes.fr/planete/