Subject: draft-itojun-ipv6-dialup-requirement-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:13:41 +0900

[I did not ask for presentation slot at IETF52]

	Here's summary of discussion we had at IETF51 for 01 revision of
	the draft, from meeting minutes.  02 is submitted with reference
	updates and minor clarifications.  If my memory is correct the
	"action item" portion (the last 2 lines) is not handled yet.
	Let me know how to proceed.

	We had a couple of meetings among Japanese operators, both before
	and after 01 draft.  Preferred options are:
	- /48 assignment, with ICMPv6 prefix delegation
		obstacle: ICMPv6 prefix delegation is still a draft, and
		ICMPv6 type/code is not assigned yet
	- /64 assignment, with RA (and possibly multilink subnet - from
	  upstream operators the use of multilink subnet router won't be
	  visible)
	The preference is already reflected in 02 drafts.  02 draft still
	tries to keep the operational option wide open, and documents a set of
	options operators can take (rather than presenting single scenario).
	There are a couple of reasons fo this:
	- different ISPs would have different operational requirement.
	- there's no real operational experiences gathered yet, due to the
	  lack of usable equipments.  At this moment most of the IPv6 ISPs
	  are doing manual assignment on leased lines, or tunnels.  
	I do think it is useful for us to pick a common (single) service model
	that works for multiple ISPs.

itojun

---
Requirements for IPv6 dialup operation / Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino
  <draft-itojun-ipv6-dialup-requirement-01.txt>
-----------------------------------------------------------------

[Slides available at http://playground.sun.com/ipng/meetings.html]

What is experience so far with dialup support in IIJ?  Problem is that
can not deploy dialup nationwide in IIJ.

What are speakers preference of different options?  Five different
options.  Not sure what is best.  There are different scenarios that are
appropriate.  

Deering: Good to get feedback from operational folks. Itojun: Has asked
Japan operators forum.

Can this be a w.g. item.  Chairs thought it should be standards track.
Not sure it should be IPv6.  Need to discuss.

ACTION: Chairs to talk to area directors to see what is best w.g. to take
dialup operation requirements and move it forward onto standards track.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------