Subject: ipv6 & wlan

From: Werner Pomwenger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 17:58:13 +0100

some newbie questions:

has anybody an idea if ipv6 over ipv4 tunneling works with normal access

points and in this context mobile ipv6 ? when packets are encapsulated
in ipv4 it should.... theoretically.

what about firewalls ? when tunneling ipv6 packets in an encapsulated
ipv4 there should not be a problem, right ?

maybe anybody has already some experience with wlan and ipv6. advice
would be much appreciated

cheers,

werny

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 15:37:07 +0100

In your previous mail you wrote:

   some newbie questions:

=> this works well

=> in the context of mobility the best is to change the end of the IPv6
over IPv4 tunnel. This is transparent (i.e. you get mobility for free
if you consider the whole IPv4 as a single IPv6 subnet).

=> firewalls have the choice between:
 - to be fooled (the usual answer but this has some drawbacks)
 - to block everything (the stupid answer to the previous proposal)
 - to be smart, i.e. to inspect the IPv6 payload (of course the firewall
   has to support IPv6 too).

   maybe anybody has already some experience with wlan and ipv6.

=> IETF meetings use wireless LAN with a far from zero part in IPv6
without reported trouble.

Thanks

[email-masked]

---

From: "Patrick Nolan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 12:54:11 -0500

Hi Werner,
> ipv4 there should not be a problem, right ?

Depends on the type/locationof the firewall.

Not much specific firewall and IDS work is available that I've found, and I've looked hard. Any list pointers to info would be appreciated.

After reading this:

"Internet Connection Firewall Does Not Block Internet Protocol Version 6 Traffic"
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q306/2/03.asp "

I contacted MS for further info and received this:

"Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your note.  I heard back from the devs and learned that if
IPv6 is installed and the machine receives an IPv6 packet encapsulated
in IPv4, then ICF WILL intercept the packet before it is handed to the
IPv6 stack.

I hope this answers your question sufficiently.  If you have any other
questions or concerns, don't hesitate to contact me.  We appreciate your
interest and feedback."

So many questions are unanswered at this point.

Pat