Subject: RE: newbie question

From: "Anssi Porttikivi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 14:32:37 +0200

Is there any documentation of XP IP6 anywhere? Which included software
besides the TCP/IP stack is able to open IP6 sockets?

I've been told these can:

- IE
- ftp text mode client
- ping6, tracert6, 6to4cfg?

They all can process IP6 textual addresses and resolve DNS names to IP6
also, which I guess usually goes together with being able to open IP6
sockets. IE also can open IP6 numeric URLs in the form of http://[::1]/

Can you configure the address selection criteria of XP in any way? If
DNS returns both an IP4 and IP6 address, which is the application using?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Tony Hain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 12:03:18 -0800

Start / Help / Search / IPv6 ... all the details are in the product

As for address selection criterion read:
draft-ietf-ipngwg-default-addr-select-06.txt

The discriminator between IPv4 & IPv6 is the best scope match, with ties
going to IPv6.

Also, the IE in XP does not understand the [::1] form, only the W2k
preview.

Tony

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Anssi Porttikivi
> Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 4:33 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: newbie question
>
>