Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-park-host-based-mcast-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 07:00:33 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Host-based IPv6 Multicast Addresses Allocation
	Author(s)	: J. Park et al.
	Filename	: draft-park-host-based-mcast-00.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 13-Nov-01
	
This document specifies an extension to the multicast addressing
architecture of the IPv6 protocol.  The extension allows for sing
interface-ID to allocate multicast addresses.  When the link-local
unicast address is configured at each interface of host, interface
ID is uniquely determined.  By delegating multicast addresses at
the same time as interface ID, each host can identify their
multicast addresses automatically at Layer 1 without needing to run
an intra- or inter-domain allocation protocol in the serverless
environments.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-park-host-based-mcast-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-park-host-based-mcast-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-park-host-based-mcast-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:55:23 +0200 (EET)

> an intra- or inter-domain allocation protocol in the serverless

I read the draft cursorily, and I must admit I really don't see much of a 
point.. or perhaps I missed something.

Perhaps it would be good to give a concrete example or two where this 
would be actually usable.

Note: it seems to me that the scope of the resulting multicast address
must not be greater than the generating unicast address scope.  This is
because e.g. 'subnet ID + interface ID' in e.g. global scope could clash 
from the same values from other sites.

GLOP-based allocation seems pointless when you can use unicast
prefix-based allocations (useful only if you want to zero-configure so
that every node can possibly start generating global multicast traffic
without assignments from the _site_ owner).  Site- and link -local
allocations would only seem to be usable within the respective site, or
link.  Do we _really_ need an automatic allocation for a single _link_,
for example?

In short, it seems unlikely that _nodes_ would need automatic multicast
addresses, apart from a few standard, defined ones.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Myung-Ki Shin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 09:58:34 +0900

> from the same values from other sites.

   Yes, you are right. Properly, our site-local multicast addresses are used
   when scop <= 5.

> link.

   Regarding GLOP-based IPv6 multicast addresses, we received some comments
   from Dave Thaler. He proposed,
   GLOP-based IPv6 multicast addresses are much less powerful and has no
   advantages over Unicast-prefix-based addresses.
   So, we decided to follow his opinion.

   Instead, in the case of link- or site-local multicast addresses,
   we and Dave agreed the
   in order to make the syntax consistent with the Unicast-Prefix-based
   multicast draft, our 00 draft would be changed as follows :
  (we will publish revised version soon.)

   3.1 Link-local multicast addresses

     |   8    | 4  | 4  |     16     |       64       |       32      |
     +--------+----+----+------------+----------------+---------------+
     |11111111|flgs|scop|  reserved  |  Interface ID  |    group ID   |
     +--------+----+----+------------+----------------+---------------+

   3.2 Site-local multicast addresses

     |   8    | 4  | 4  |     16     |       64       |       32      |
     +--------+----+----+------------+----------------+---------------+
     |11111111|flgs|scop|     SLA    |  Interface ID  |    group ID   |
     +--------+----+----+------------+----------------+---------------+

   In addition, in stead of defining define a new flag,
   we will use same flag defined in the Unicast-Prefix-based draft.
   We and dave think we might be able to update the other draft to allow to
   do this in our draft.

   I think, our proposal can be used in link- or site-local,
   harmonizing with Unicast-Prefix-based multicast scheme
   (while Unicast-Prefix-based multicast addresses are for global.).

   Thanks,
   Myung-Ki.