Subject: Hop Limit in IPv6 Hdr.

From: "Jagan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:08:57 +0530

Hi all,

I am new member to this group. Just forget me, if my queries are too
fundamental but try to answer them.

The Hop limit in IPv6 hdr is decrimented by every intermediate node in the
journey of the packet. Does it mean the packet can only tranverse through
256 intermediate nodes ( 2^8 )?

Thanks & with warm regards

`````````````````````````````````````````
Jagan  S  Nathan
L&T Infotech, Bangalore.

---

From: Steve Deering <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 00:34:04 -0800

At 10:08 AM +0530 11/28/01, Jagan wrote:
>The Hop limit in IPv6 hdr is decrimented by every intermediate node in
>the journey of the packet. Does it mean the packet can only tranverse
>through 256 intermediate nodes ( 2^8 )?

Yes, it is limited to 255 IP hops (where a single IP hop may span
multiple layer 2 switches, or even multiple IP routers if there are
IP-in-IP tunnels along the delivery path).

Steve 

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 02:56:51 -0600

Unless someone has an iptables module that mangles the TTL count
in a "non-standard" manner...

This may help...
http://www.dot-biz.com/IPv4/Tutorial/

The Netfilter Project: Packet Mangling for Linux 2.4
http://netfilter.samba.org

Jim Fleming
http://www.IPv8.info
IPv16....One Better !!

---

From: Ignatios Souvatzis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:22:13 +0100

> IP-in-IP tunnels along the delivery path).

Given purely hierarchical routing, this would be more than enough. 

Regards,
	-is