Subject: IPv6 support

From: Merav Haran <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 16:38:42 +0200

Hi,

I need your help with the following questions for host IPv6 support:

1.	Does IPv6 fragmentation occur in TCP/IP applications? Since the
sending host should know the path MTU and there is no fragmentation by
intermediate routers, is there a reason for the TCP to send bigger segments
than the path MTU? Can we assume that for TCP applications there is no
fragmentation in IPv6?

2.	Regarding Hop-by-hop, routing, and destination extension headers
that are not of interest for us – is it allowed to skip over these extension
headers (i.e. just to read the ‘next header’ and ‘length’ fields and to go
to the next extension header, without looking inside these headers)?

3.	When multiple IPv6 unicast addresses are assigned to the same
physical Ethernet port, is it possible that these addresses will differ in
their 64 MSB bits?

4.	Is it acceptable not to send back ICMP ‘parameter problem’ massages?

Thanks,

Merav Haran

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Damien Mascre' <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 17:09:46 +0100

> than the path MTU? Can we assume that for TCP applications there is no

fragmentation is done only by the sending host, after
having determine the path mtu. TCP applications should
not assume that no fragmentation occurs, but it can
assume that there will be no fragmentation during the journey
of your tcp segment.

> to the next extension header, without looking inside these headers)?

yes

> physical Ethernet port, is it possible that these addresses will differ in

yes, it is the predefined behavior.

> 4.	Is it acceptable not to send back ICMP ‘parameter problem’ massages?

why not ??