Subject: RE: Fwd: IPv6 Scoped Addresses and Routing Protocols

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 20:16:17 -0700

> JJ Behrens wrote:
> [Michel's point about SLs being somehow more secure]
> Your point is valid.  Now it remains to be argued whether the
> difficulties associated with SL's are worth this small increase
> in security.  Personally, I feel that this small increase in
> security is not worth the extra work. However, it remains to be
> seen whether we can solve the renumbering problem (i.e. the use
> of SL's for longterm stable IP's).  

A matter of appreciation, indeed. But there is some demand for SLs.

So, what about comparing the extra work required to make SLs work to the
work required to suppress them, plus the work required to deal with
whatever (possibly more crappy) will replace them?

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JJ Behrens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 15:48:42 -0700

> whatever (possibly more crappy) will replace them?

It seems to me that the amount of work to make SL's not globally routable is
fairly small.  Afterall, there's already code to keep link locals from leaving
the link.  As far as replacing the benefits of SL's with something else:

minor security improvement:  this improvement is not worth bending over 
backwards for.  

very long-term connections:  using SL's for very long-term connections doesn't
provide long-term connections across the net.  If SL's are so hard to deal
with, perhaps we should just solve the long-term connection problem directly
(perhaps with a new fourth layer protocol).

Of course, I am young, and I have not caught up with all of the email, so feel 
free to ignore me :)

Best Regards,
-jj

-- 
Users of C++ should consider hanging themselves rather than shooting their 
legs off--it's best not to use C++ simply as a better C.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------