Subject: RE: back on track? [RE: Review of "Use of /127 Prefix LengthBetweenRouters Considered Harmful"]

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 07:38:58 -0700

> Pekka Savola wrote:
> Note that link-locals and two /128's are two separate cases.
> "two /128's" means an implementation (like KAME) where you can do
> this without link-local addresses.
> Obviously the wording is a bit off.  But I couldn't figure out how to
> say it without getting into static routes or whatnot.  Any ideas?

There needs to be something about the route install, as it is specific
to the implementation. Seriously, I don't think that two /128s would
ever be considered on a large network.

>> Link-local addresses are technically ok. Actually, I think that they
>> should be #2 in the list of options. In a large network, they are a
>> troubleshooting headache but in a small network there is nothing to
say
>> against them.

> I've considered putting link-locals only in solutions 1), more or less

> equal with /64.

Makes sense also, as /64s and LLs are the only two options that do not
violate [addrarch].

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 18:02:51 +0300 (EEST)

> ever be considered on a large network.

I don't want to get to implementation specifics here..

> Makes sense also, as /64s and LLs are the only two options that do not

That's mostly irrelevant though, as people who read the draft chose not to 
do as addrarch says anyway.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords