Subject: Re: Securing Neighbor Discovery BOF

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 15:01:43 -0400

In message <002f01c210af$df9ec240$246015ac@T23KEMPF>, "James Kempf" writes:
>Hi Steve,
>
>> >Key distribution could be done via Layer 2 AAA or using the roaming
>> >consortia idea we had in the ABK draft. However, I think that might
>> >require some change in IPsec policy, because I believe the policy
>only
>> >allows IKE or manual keying for key distribution.
>>
>> That's not correct.  In fact, there's another working group, KINK,
>> whose goal is Kerberos key management for IPsec.
>>
>
>Thanx for the correction.
>
>So is it the case then that there would be no change in IPsec policy
>required for doing AAA-based or roaming consortia-based key management?
>Is so, then perhaps this problem is fairly straightforward to solve.

Well, as straight-forward as any key management issue...

But the word "policy" is important; there's a lot more to setting up an 
IPsec than key exchange.  Deciding exactly what to encrypt and how has 
to be negotiated, imposed, or otherwise agreed-upon.

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb (me)
		http://www.wilyhacker.com ("Firewalls" book)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 13:58:10 +0300 (EEST)

Hello,

There appears to be something/someone looping messages back to the list.  
I've received multiple copies of several mails, many of them with a double 
mailing-list advertisement below.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords