Subject: RE: Fwd: IPv6 Scoped Addresses and Routing Protocols

From: "Richard Draves" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 12:33:04 -0700

> >I'm not sure it isn't possible in some obscure setups to get 
> redirects 
> >for link locals, which would require just the same - but in any case,
> 
> I don't think that its ever valid to send a redirect for a link-local 
> address.  I'm not quite sure, though, what you are supposed 
> to do if you 
> receive one.

If a router receives a packet sent to a link-local destination address,
and that link-local address is not assigned to the router's interface,
then wouldn't the router try to forward the packet to the destination
address? Because the destination address is link-local, this would mean
forward the packet back out the interface that received the packet. This
in turn would cause the router to generate a redirect.

Rich

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 00:47:41 +0300 (EEST)

> in turn would cause the router to generate a redirect.

I'm not sure why router would ever receive such a link-local packet, as
Neighbor Discovery always tries to find where to deliver the packet
on-link, not send it to the router?

A few special cases are possible, like a point-to-point link (consider
3GPP) or if a does something equivalent to IPv4 static ARP mapping,
pointing an address towards the router's L2 address.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords