Subject: RE: Fwd: IPv6 Scoped Addresses and Routing Protocols

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 08:40:12 -0700

>> Michael Thomas wrote:
>> So it seems to me that what's at issue here is what
>> is the lesser of evils. 

>> Keith Moore
>> I think this is a bit over-simplistic.  Just because an
>> address prefix is globally unique does not mean it will
>> be widely advertised in routing tables, especially when
>> such prefixes are easily distinguished from globally
>> routable prefixes.

Maybe, maybe not. We just don't know. Although I am not opposed in
principle to site IDs in SL addresses, having this feature in the
addressing architecture _now_ is a walking hazard. kre has convinced me
to keep fe80::/10 instead of reducing it to fe80::/48 keeping the door
open, but I oppose doing something about it now.

About the lesser of evils, we don't have to make that choice either.
There are other models being developed, have a sneak preview at:
http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/ipv6mh/geov6.txt

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:54:13 -0400

> addressing architecture _now_ is a walking hazard.

so is having SL addresses without site IDs. it's just that in one
case the hazard is to the routing system, and in the other case
the hazard is to apps and their ability to interoperate.

Keith

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 10:13:56 +0200

Michel Py wrote:
...
> http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/ipv6mh/geov6.txt

Nobody doubts that we have enough addresses to allocate them geographically.
What we don't know is how to route them geographically, so I confess
that I fail to see the value of compiling long lists of numbers.

   Brian