Subject: Re: Fwd: IPv6 Scoped Addresses and Routing Protocols

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 18:18:46 -0400

In message <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
 writes:

>> 
>> I think this is the key point.  Regardless of the possible benefits of 
>> site-local addresses -- and I'm willing to withhold judgment on that 
>> point -- we don't know in detail how to make them work.  At a minimum, 
>> we need changes in routing and the DNS.  We may need new global 
>> namespaces as well, with all that implies for co-ordination and 
>> administrative overhead.
>
>	Well we already have a global managed namespace.  The
>	scopename would be just be a name within the namespace
>	already delegated to you.
>
>	host1.example.com. SA <SL-IPV6-address> site1.example.com.
>	host1.example.com. SA <SL-IPV6-address> site2.example.com.
>	host1.example.com. SA <global-IPV6-address> .
>
>	host2.example.com. SA <SL-IPV6-address> site2.example.com.
>	host2.example.com. SA <global-IPV6-address> .
>
>	host3.example.com. SA <SL-IPV6-address> site1.example.com.
>	host3.example.com. SA <global-IPV6-address> .
>
>	Here host2.example.com and host3.example.com would have to
>	communicate using global addresses while host1.example.com
>	and host2.example.com could choose to use there site2.example.com
>	SL address and host1.example.com and host3.example.com could
>	choose to use there site1.example.com SL address.

But some people have suggested that the main benefit of site-local 
addresses is for disconnected sites, which presumably don't have domain 
names...

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb (me)
		http://www.wilyhacker.com ("Firewalls" book)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 09:45:09 +1000

> addresses is for disconnected sites, which presumably don't have domain 

	If they are using the DNS to publish the addresses they *have* a
	domainname.  You can't use the DNS to do this without having a
	domainname.

--
Mark Andrews, Internet Software Consortium
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------