Subject: RE: finalizing cellular hosts document

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 12:25:23 +0300

Hi Jari,

Just a little more information on the open issues:

> Here are the issues that we think are resolved as well, but on which
> there might still be some discussion:
> 
> - Key management mandate (IESG). We noted on the list that IPv6
>    doesn't make a stronger statement either. Not sure what we can do
>    here.

Cellular hosts will connect to the Internet, as well as to 3G nets.
Our draft cannot solve key management for the Internet, so perhaps
it is better not to prescribe too much.
 
> - MLD (many). This has been discussed on the list. After some comments
>    from the list and from the ADs/IESG, the new text in 2.9. says that
>    MLD must be supported, but that there should be a configuration
>    switch that allows it to be turned off for link-local addresses, and
>    a justification why this does not cause problems.

The idea is the MLD must be supported.  MLD is needed for multicast services.
MLD usage on link-local addresses, however, may not be useful.

> - RFC 3041 stronger statement (IESG). We noted on the list that
>    privacy is not as bad as in regular e.g. DSL usage.  Empirical data
>    does not exist to quantify exactly how much, however. In any case,
>    the draft now requires (section 2.11) that hosts should support
>    RFC 3041, though the use is a may.

More correctly, cellular hosts can have two kinds of radio attachments to
the 3GPP network - primary and secondary.  Secondary most likely will
be short lived.  The primary may be longer lived, but depends upon radio
coverage (radio coverage is usually lost when going through a tunnel), 
user behavior (if the user turns their phone off during a meeting, or
at night), etc.  These attachements to the network will deterimine the
lifetime of these addresses.

In summary, cellular hosts should support temporary addresses as outlined
in 3041.  However, I don't feel confident enough to detail how they are
used.  I think we need usage / deployment experience.

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------