Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipv6-default-addr-select-08.txt

From: "Richard Draves" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:11:10 -0700

> > The default is still to use public addresses not temporary 
> addresses, 
> > although implementations MAY reverse this default if they want to 
> > emphasize privacy over application compatibility.
> 
> I don't think it's reasonable to allow host implementations 
> to reverse this default - this will break apps.
> 
> the default should always be to use public addresses.
> apps that can use temp addresses SHOULD ask for them.

You don't know what applications are running on the host implementation
and whether they will break or not. For some implementations, it MAY be
reasonable to prefer temporary addresses.

Rich

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:36:52 -0400

> and whether they will break or not. 

and in the vast majority of cases, neither will the host implementor.

Keith