Subject: CFP on IPv6 for IEEE Internet Computing

From: Chris Metz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 21:02:38 -0400

Folks-
My apologies for any duplicates, thanks ...

http://computer.org/internet/call4ppr.htm#v7n3

Call for Papers on Special Issue on IPv6 Protocols and Applications

(May/June 2003) Issue

Guest Editor: Chris Metz,  Cisco Systems, [email-masked]

Submission Deadline: 1 October 2002

		 The effort to develop a successor to the current IPv4 protocol suite has
                        been underway for the past ten years. IP version 6 
(IPv6) provides several
                        enhancements over its predecessor, including a 
larger address space,
                        plug-and-play autoconfiguration, and a simplified 
header format. IPv6 has
                        largely remained on the sidelines, however, due to 
aggressive IPv4 address
                        conservation efforts (through network address 
configuration, CIDR,
                        dynamic host configuration protocol, and other 
techniques), which have
                        successfully extended the limited IPv4 address 
space. This has served to
                        obviate the only compelling reason to migrate to a 
new version of IP on the
                        Internet. Looking ahead, however, several market 
and technology
                        developments could drive the need to introduce IPv6 
sooner rather than
                        later.

                        Mobile wireless networks supporting large numbers 
of IP-addressable
                        handsets mandate the use of IPv6. Vendors are now 
shipping products
                        with robust IPv6 features and capabilities. 
Experimental IPv6 networks
                        have grown in size and participation thus providing 
practical operational
                        experience on a large scale. The IPv6 support in 
just about every popular
                        operating system including Windows and Linux augurs 
well for application
                        development. And finally there is a plethora of 
possible IPv4-to-IPv6
                        transition mechanisms that will enable co-existence 
and interoperability
                        with IPv4 for many years to come.

                        This special issue covers developments in IPv6 
protocols and applications.
                        Topics of interest for technical articles include:

                             Operating system support for IPv6
                             Comparing IPv4-to-IPv6 transition mechanisms 
(tunneling, 6to4,
                             DSTM, and so on)
                             Routing protocol implementations (such as 
OSPFv3, Integrated
                             IS-IS, MP-BGP)
                             Mobile IPv6 protocols and services
                             Service provider, enterprise, and home 
networking environments and
                             applications
                             Migrating IPv4 applications to IPv6
                             Implementing IPv6 in emerging 3G wireless 
networks
                             IPv6 anycast addressing for autoprovisioning 
and discovery
                             Operational experiences on IPv6 networks (such 
as 6Bone)
                             QoS and flow-label semantics
                             IPv6 packet header processing (classification, 
table lookup, and so
                             on) in routers
                             IPv6 and MPLS

                        All papers should explicate the technical issues 
related to the Internet.
                        Research papers should demonstrate the feasibility 
of the approach and
                        describe the state of realization. Case studies and 
applied papers should
                        discuss the key factors that allowed for a 
successful implementation and
                        any pitfalls and problems encountered. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------