Subject: Re: Fwd: IPv6 Scoped Addresses and Routing Protocols

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 11:35:44 -0400

In message <[email-masked]>, Hiroki Ishibashi writes:

>Now, OSPFv3.  Since it is much complicated than any RIPng, of course,  
>and it has capability to run multiple processes by nature, we decided to 
>run an OSPFv3 process per site.  Still, we could have handle site routing 
>with single OSPFv3 process.  Complication is the most dominant factor in our
>decision.  For example, what if someone is sending an Intra-Area-Prefix-LSA
>which contains both global and site-local prefixes.  Receiving OSPFv3 router
>might need to decompose LSA into two LSAs which contain global and site-local
>separately.  BUT, this is not allowed.  I believe that we need to make 
>agreements on this point.
>One of our concerns on multi-process implementation is that
>global prefixes need to be redistributed among OSPFv3 process once
>sites are defined.
>

I'm still confused.  If a packet arrives on a site-enabled interface, 
addressed to multicast address AllSPFRouters, and with protocol number 
89 (OSPF), to which process is it delivered?  Does something actually 
peek inside the packet to see if it's advertising global or site-local 
addresses when making the dispatching decision?

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb (me)
		http://www.wilyhacker.com ("Firewalls" book)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Hiroki Ishibashi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:02:56 +0900

>addresses when making the dispatching decision?

"2.4.  Explicit support for multiple instances per link" in RFC2740 
is the one to be used to identify a process (instance) to which packet
are delivered.  Not necessary to peek into LSAs for the dispatching
decision.  

Hiroki Ishibashi
[email-masked]