Subject: RE: Fwd: IPv6 Scoped Addresses and Routing Protocols

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:29:34 -0700

Keith,

>> There is one thing that worries me about such a scheme: it does in
fact
>> give a PI address to everybody. It is to be feared that people using
>> these addresses will make arrangements with their upstreams to have
>> these leaked in the global table. 

> Keith Moore wrote
> and everybody else will filter them, and refuse to forward
> such advertisements, as they should.  

This is what I would _hope_, but we just don't know. If there is demand
and money for it, it will happen whether you and I like it or not.

Please allow me to rephrase my point: Site-ids for SL addresses do
fulfill a need that I acknowledge (I mostly share kre's views on
renumbering). However, I do think that we should not get started on this
slippery slope _before_ we provide another solution to people that would
push pervert them into unaggregated PI.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 12:31:05 -0400

> and money for it, it will happen whether you and I like it or not.

well, if the default is that everybody filters these things, then you
have to pay money to everybody if you want them to not filter them.

Keith