Subject: finalizing cellular hosts document

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 00:23:56 +0300

Hi,

We are trying to finish the cellular hosts document by Friday.
In the following I list the issues that have been brought up,
and briefly mention what has been done. A preliminary version
of the next version can also be found in the following URLs:

   http://www.piuha.net/~jarkko/publications/ipv6/draft-ietf-ipv6-cellular-host-03-pa8.doc (with changes)
   http://www.piuha.net/~jarkko/publications/ipv6/draft-ietf-ipv6-cellular-host-03-pa8.txt

Hopefully the issues have satisfactory solutions from your point
of view. If not, let us know as soon as possible -- thanks!
In particular, take a look at the bottom of the issue list where
there are three issues that we are not sure if everyone has had
a chance to comment yet.

Here are the issues that we think are resolved:

- Document type to be described clearly (Margaret).
   Agreed. New text in 1.1.

- Transition mechanism discussions (Margaret and others).
   Agreed. Removed, and left for ngtrans to work on.

- Unclear whether ND needs to be supported or not (many).
   Agreed. Clarified that it needs to be, and added text to
   describe how typical upper layers can give advice to NUD.
   See section 2.4.

- Address resolution, needs to be supported or not (many).
   Agreed. Clarified that no link layer addresses are used, hence
   no support needed (but of course ND and its messages
   must be supported). See section 2.4.1.

- AH fate note (Margaret). Agreed. Removed, see Section 3.3.

- Address selection normative, draft schedule (Thomas). Agreed,
   apparently the draft can have the same schedule?

- ADDRARCHv3 is normative, not ready yet (Thomas). Agreed. Made non-
   normative, see section 2.2. and 6.2.

- Router alert implementation situations (IESG).
   Clarified the text in 2.10.

- Editorial modifications (many). Agreed, and taken in account,
   hopefully.

- DNS recursive query mandate (many). Agreed, new text in
   2.10.

- MIPv6 CN functionality (Margaret). After discussion,
   agreed to keep it the way it is described in the draft. See
   Section 4.

- Interface ID being trackable (someone). It isn't,
   and this is now stated in Appendix B.

- Unique within-its-scope text in Appendix B (Pekka Savola).
   It seems that Pekka's comment didn't really indicate
   he wanted something changed.

- Fragment headers, why are they needed (Pekka Savola).
   Agreed, a reference to a Section 5 of RFC 2460 has
   been added to 2.3.

- Author list (IESG). We are shortening the author list.
   Not visible in the URL version yet.

- Router has only a link-local address-comment (IESG).
   Agreed. Section 2.5.1 contains clarifying new text.

- Non-ascii chars in the document (Thomas). Fixed.

- AES (IESG). Agreed and added some text in 3.6. But: can't add
   a reference, draft expired.

Here are the issues that we think are resolved as well, but on which
there might still be some discussion:

- Key management mandate (IESG). We noted on the list that IPv6
   doesn't make a stronger statement either. Not sure what we can do
   here.

- MLD (many). This has been discussed on the list. After some comments
   from the list and from the ADs/IESG, the new text in 2.9. says that
   MLD must be supported, but that there should be a configuration
   switch that allows it to be turned off for link-local addresses, and
   a justification why this does not cause problems.

- RFC 3041 stronger statement (IESG). We noted on the list that
   privacy is not as bad as in regular e.g. DSL usage.  Empirical data
   does not exist to quantify exactly how much, however. In any case,
   the draft now requires (section 2.11) that hosts should support
   RFC 3041, though the use is a may.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 16:18:07 +0300

Version -03 of the cellular host document has now been published.
You can download it from

   http://www-nrc.nokia.com/sua/draft-ietf-ipv6-cellular-host-03.txt
   http://www-nrc.nokia.com/sua/draft-ietf-ipv6-cellular-host-03-pa10.doc (with edits)

Jari

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 16:18:07 +0300

Jari