Subject: Is IPv6 Tiny Fragment Attack possible?

From: Daniel Ng <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 17:33:27 -0700 (PDT)

RFC 3128 described the way to attack IPv4 network 
using tiny fragment. Can the same thing happen to 
IPv6 network?
Thanks,
Daniel

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 10:20:51 +0300

> using tiny fragment. Can the same thing happen to 

It would seem so, IPv6 fragment headers can also be
forged to overlap each other. And I can't find anything
in RFC 2460 to forbid this.

The same cure as described in RFC 3128 would also apply.
But filtering mechanisms must take in account the additional
complication of the unfragmentable part i.e. hop-by-hop
headers and such.

Jari