Subject: IESG followup on draft-ietf-ipv6-default-addr-select-07.txt

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:19:53 -0400

The IESG had a telechat today and discussed the WG feedback on its
request regarding draft-ietf-ipv6-default-addr-select-07.txt. Based on
the feedback, the request to prefer temporary addresses over public
addresses is withdrawn; leaving the default to prefer public addresses
is OK.

The IESG would still, however, like to see the following change made:

   An implementation MUST support a per-connection configuration 
   mechanism (for example, an API extension) to reverse the sense of 
   this preference and prefer temporary addresses over public 
   addresses.

Thomas   
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 17:37:15 +0200

In your previous mail you wrote:

   
   
=> two concerns:
 - this is not the only point where one should get a way to change/reverse
   a preference.
 - the proposed way "per-connection configuration mechanism (for
   example, an API extension)" is not enough defined because:
  * nobody wants to change every applications in order to use this API
    if this API needs it (for instance, to add a set/getsockopt() doesn't
    come up to user expectations).
  * of course this API should be a bit standardized...
More in another message because I can see a lot of answers to last draft
announce in my not-yet-read mbox.

Regards

[email-masked]