Subject: Site Locals and the DFZ

From: "Glenn Morrow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 14:12:28 -0500

There has recently been a very large discussion about site locals in the
thread, "Re: Fwd: IPv6 Scoped Addresses and Routing Protocols". Paul
Francis' draft and this discussion has made me wonder if there might be a
use for an aggregatable concept of site locals in the context of an Internet
Default Free Zone, DFZ. 

I am hoping that this new thread can be used to begin discussion on the open
mail list of such a concept, the possible uses, impacts and ramifications,
pros, cons and the feasibility of these uses. 

I guess the first question to pose is should the DFZ be a network (i.e. more
than just a set of L2 links) of sorts and be treated as a site of some kind
as well and for what useful purpose? Another question would be is the DFZ a
site?

Thanks,

Glenn

---

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 14:30:15 -0700

> Glenn Morrow wrote:

> Another question would be is the DFZ a site?

No, it is not; and I don't think it will ever be. If there is a place
where you would find disparate routing policies, that is the DFZ.

Michel.