Subject: Re: Need clarification on some of the IPv6 requirements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 08:33:00 -0400

| 4. If the neighbor solicitation message has the global address as its
source
|    address, does it consider to be an valid message ?

| No.  NS packets come from LL addresses.  Anything from any other kind of
| address is an error, and should be ignored.

Why do you say this?  In RFC 2461 in the Sending Neighbor Solicitation
section it states:

       If the source address of the packet prompting the solicitation is
      the
       same as one of the addresses assigned to the outgoing interface,
      that
       address SHOULD be placed in the IP Source Address of the outgoing
       solicitation.

So if the packet prompting the solicitation had its global address as the
source address, and the global address was an address on the outbound
interface, I would expect the solicitation to have the global address as
its source address.  Right?

Lori

---

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 20:17:19 +0700

Date:        Wed, 3 Jul 2002 08:33:00 -0400
    From:        [email-masked]
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | Why do you say this? 

Because it gets someone who is able & willing to read the spec to
correct me ...

  | So if the packet prompting the solicitation had its global address as the
  | source address, and the global address was an address on the outbound
  | interface, I would expect the solicitation to have the global address as
  | its source address.  Right?

Yes, that sounds right....

kre

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------