Subject: Mabye OT : IPv6 and Routing Security

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 16:26:04 +0200

Hello,
i'm a university student, for my degree thesis i have to investigate
Routing Security Problem in IPv6. 
After Reading RFCs about RIPng and OSPF for IPv6 all i found is that
to secure routing protocols IPSec will be used. Well i couldn't find 
any details about HOW ipsec will be used. 

So my question is:is this a vendor/implementation issue?

If you have links/pointers to documents which deals with this problem
please tell me!!!

Thanx id advance,
Alessandro

P.s: sorry for my english.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ignatios Souvatzis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 09:15:02 +0200

Hello,

> So my question is:is this a vendor/implementation issue?

I'd think, configuration issue.

Both protocols you mention are interiour routing protocols, so it might even
be feasible to set the routers up with a small number of pre-shared keys used
to authenticate the routing messages to one another.

See the relevant documents for details.

	-is

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 17:34:40 +0900

>> Routing Security Problem in IPv6.=20

	my take is that RIPng and OSPFv3 spec should be revised to talk more
	about how they should interact with IPsec.  since these protocols use
	link-local multicast (as well as link-local unicast),
	- IPsec implementation must have a proper scope support
	- IKE implementation must have a proper scope support (ID payload
	  handling gets very tricky)
	- automatic keying with IKE is impossible for multicast case!

	to summarize, just saying "use IPsec" is not enough.

itojun

---

From: "Alessandro Giacometti" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 10:39:03 +0200

> Both protocols you mention are interiour routing protocols, so it 

Thanx.
And what can you tell me about security,IPv6 and BGP4+?
I found something, but it was about IPv4 and BGP.

Alessandro

---

From: jaganbabu rajamanickam <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 15:23:32 +0100 (BST)

Hi,
  All carier class routers are supose to support all
kinds of IPSec pay loads , it is all the ipsec
configurations which makes a vendor to select a
particular method of authentications for their pay
loads.
  As you said it is correct, IPSec is the one which
does the real security for any IP data, it is all the
routing protcol how it adopts (supports) it.

Jags 

--- Alessandro Giacometti <[email-masked]> wrote: > 

________________________________________________________________________
Want to sell your car? advertise on Yahoo Autos Classifieds. It's Free!!
       visit http://in.autos.yahoo.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------