Subject: RE: Comments on draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-v3-02.txt

From: "Dave Thaler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 12:33:40 -0700

> From: Rami Lehtonen [mailto:[email-masked]]
[...]
> There was also some discussion at MAGMA working group that if the edge
> router starts to filter MLD Reports coming from a host (host
> authorization),
> it would be nice to notify the host that such filtering is applied,
e.g.
> with ICMPv6 Administratively Prohibited. MLD Reports are however sent
to
> multicast address and thus the router can't use ICMPv6 (spec says that
> error
> message MUST NOT be sent as a result of receiving a packet destined to
an
> IPv6 multicast address). So, what about one more exception to the
ICMPv6
> spec in addition to the Packet Too Big and Parameter Problem messages?

I don't see the problem here.  The admin prohibited message would be
sent
to the source of the MLD report, not the destination, and the source is
a unicast address.

-Dave

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------