Subject: 2553bis (Basic API) status and plan

From: Jack McCann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 13:07:09 -0400 (EDT)

2553bis (Basic API) status and plan:

As mentioned in Margaret's recent mail about the IPv6 WG Priority List:

>        Basic Sockets Extensions
>                Status:  In IESG for Informational, update may be
>                         required to resolve normative reference

The current Basic API draft (draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2553bis-05.txt)
contains normative references to the Scoped Addressing Architecture
(draft-ietf-ipngwg-scoping-arch-04.txt).  In particular, it relies 
on the definition of zone indices, and on the scoped address text 
format defined in that document.  This was flagged as an issue 
during IESG review.  

To allow 2553bis to move forward and be published as an RFC without
having to wait on the scoping-arch document, we've proposed to move 
those portions of the Basic API that rely on scoping-arch into a 
separate document that can advance alongside the scoping-arch document.

There are 4 items that will move from 2553bis to the new "scoping api"
document:

1. References to the terms "link index" and "site index" in
   the definition of the sin6_scope_id field.  Note that the
   sin6_scope_id field will remain in 2553bis.

2. Use of the scoped address text format with getaddrinfo().

3. Use of the scoped address text format with getnameinfo().

4. The NI_NUMERICSCOPE flag.

Note that these items were added in 2553bis after RFC 2553 
was published, so we won't be regressing from that RFC.

This will also have the effect of bringing 2553bis closer to
the Single UNIX Specification version 3 (a.k.a. "Austin"),
which does not specify the use of the scoped address text
format with getaddrinfo/getnameinfo.  We can present the
new "scoping api" document to the Austin standards process
for incorporation in a future revision of that standard.

Unless there is substantial objection to this approach, you 
will see two drafts pop out after the IETF next week: another
revision of 2553bis (should be the final revision), and a 
new, very short, draft containing the api extensions for 
the scoped address architecture.

- Jack

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------