Subject: Question on DHCPV6 RFC draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-26.txt

From: "Imran Hafeez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:10:19 -0500

Hi,

In the DHCPV6 RFC the IAADDR option specifies an IPV6 address but without
any indication to where the prefix & interface id starts and ends. However
if you read Radius RFC's for IPV6, they explicitly specify this information,
in otherwords they break the IPV6 address into its components. 

Does you know why it was done this way ? 

Wouldn't this have any potential implications to the way DHCPV6 could be
configured ?

thanx in advance,
Imran Hafeez

---

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 12:38:13 +0900

Date:        Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:10:19 -0500
    From:        "Imran Hafeez" <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | In the DHCPV6 RFC the IAADDR option specifies an IPV6 address but without
  | any indication to where the prefix & interface id starts and ends. However
  | if you read Radius RFC's for IPV6, they explicitly specify this information,
  | in otherwords they break the IPV6 address into its components. 
  | 
  | Does you know why it was done this way ? 

The boundaries in the addresses are for assignment purposes.
Once the address has been assigned, the boundaries should be
invisible in all further uses (including transmitting the address
from the assignor (DHCP) to the asignee)

kre

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------