Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] Re: HAO and BE processing will be mandated

From: "Hesham Soliman (EAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 16:08:58 +0200

> 	we have no way to force upgrade for all users of the 
  > existing IPv6
  > 	stacks.  therefore, i believe it very important for 
  > mobile-ip6 to be
  > 	defined so that:
  > 	- mobile-ip6 MN is interoperable with CN without HAO 
  > support, nor
  > 	  binding error message support

=> Technically, removing the must on the HAO is not a problem. 
In fact, regardless of deployed base, keeping a must for 
the HAO makes no sense IMHO.
As for the BE message, I guess we need to make sure that
somehow the CN tells the MN that no binding exists. 
Not sure what can be done about this. 

  > 	- do not make them "non-conformant"

=> Well, the IETF doesn't make anyone non-conformant
as far as I know.

Hesham

  > 
  > 	i would really like to see the change included in draft 
  > 19.  thanks.
  > 
  > itojun
  > 
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keiichi SHIMA / 島慶一 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 02:14:04 +0900 (JST)

From: "Hesham Soliman (EAB)" <[email-masked]>
> Not sure what can be done about this. 

If the CN supports mip6, the CN will send a BE message when it
receives a packet which has HAO and it doesn't have a BCE.  If the CN
doesn't support mip6, the CN will send an ICMP PRAMPROB with code 2
based on the ICMPv6 specification.

When the MN receives a BE message, the MN will re-start RR procedure.
When the MN receives ICMP PARAMPROB with code 2 and the pointer
indicates HAO, the MN will switch to use bi-directional tunneling.

Is there any other scenarios?  Please correct me if the above rules
are not enough to support non-mip6-aware IPv6 nodes.

Best Regards,

---
Keiichi SHIMA
IIJ Research Laboratory <[email-masked]>
KAME Project <[email-masked]>
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keiichi SHIMA / 島慶一 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 02:33:18 +0900 (JST)

I'm sorry, I must describe more to complete the scenario.

From: Keiichi SHIMA / 島慶一 <[email-masked]>

> based on the ICMPv6 specification.
Also, if the CN doesn't support mip6 and receives MH (ex. HoTI/CoTI),
the CN will send ICMP PARAMPROB with code 1 based on the ICMPv6
specification.
 
> indicates HAO, the MN will switch to use bi-directional tunneling.
When the MN receives ICMP PARAMPROB with code 1 and the pointer
indicates MH, the MN will switch to use bi-directional tunneling.

Best Regards,

---
Keiichi SHIMA