Subject: IPv6 MIB Design team - new RFC2012 draft

From: Kristine Adamson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 16:38:41 -0400

I have a question about the tcpListenerEstablished MIB object in the June
2002 version of the new RFC2012 MIB draft.  Is this counter only supposed
to represent the number of  connections that have transitioned to the
established state for a Listener, or the number of connections in
established state that have also been accepted for a Listener?

Thanks,

Kristine Adamson
IBM Communications Server for MVS: TCP/IP Development
Internet e-mail:[email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Dave Thaler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 15:56:37 -0700

> From: Kristine Adamson [mailto:[email-masked]]
>

I'm not sure whether I understand your question.  Are you asking
whether it counts how many have ever transitioned to established
vs the number currently in established state?

If so, the answer is the former, since this is a Counter and not a
Gauge.

-Dave

---

From: Kristine Adamson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 19:50:42 -0400

>If so, the answer is the former, since this is a Counter and not a

Dave,
   In our implementation, a connection can transition to the established
state for a particular Listener without having yet been accepted
by the Listener.  So my question is, does this MIB object count allthose
connections that have transitioned to the established state for a Listener
or,
those connections in established state that have also been accepted by
that Listener.

Thanks,

Kristine Adamson