Subject: FWD: I-D ACTION:draft-narten-ipv6-iana-considerations-00.txt

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:43:58 -0400

I'd like to formally request the following from the WG on this
document:

 - I'd like to see it become a WG document (to become a BCP RFC)

 - I'd like for folks here to review it and post any issues they have
   with it

 - I'd like to call special attention to the following text that it
   includes:
 
>    In addition, experience with IPv4 has shown that it is useful to
>    reserve an address block for documentation purposes that will never
>    be assigned for actual use in a network [DOC]. Such addresses can
>    safely be used in documentation, without the worry that someone will
>    accidentally (and incorrectly) configure them on a real network and
>    cause traffic intended for the legitimate owner of those addresses to
>    be impacted.
> 
>    This document reserves the IPv6 address block XXXX::/32 for
>    documentation purposes.

There has been some private discussion about the need for addresses
for documentation, but it's probably worth discussing how much address
space is needed for this purpose, and what the prefix should be (e.g.,
allocate out of 001/3?). the /32 length is a strawman.

Thomas
 ------- Forwarded Message

From: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce: ;
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 07:36:32 -0400
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-narten-ipv6-iana-considerations-00.txt
Reply-to: [email-masked]

--NextPart

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: IANA Allocation Guidelines for Values in IPv6 and 
                          Related Headers
	Author(s)	: T. Narten
	Filename	: draft-narten-ipv6-iana-considerations-00.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 2002-10-22
	
This document provides guidelines to IANA on the procedures for
assigning values for various IPv6-related fields. This document
updates and replaces the IPv6-related guidelines in RFC 2780.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-narten-ipv6-iana-considerations-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-narten-ipv6-iana-considerations-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-narten-ipv6-iana-considerations-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

--NextPart
Content-Type: Multipart/Alternative; Boundary="OtherAccess"

--OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	access-type="mail-server";
	server="[email-masked]"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-narten-ipv6-iana-considerations-00.txt

--OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	name="draft-narten-ipv6-iana-considerations-00.txt";
	site="ftp.ietf.org";
	access-type="anon-ftp";
	directory="internet-drafts"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

--OtherAccess--

--NextPart--

------- End of Forwarded Message
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Kai Steuernagel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 19:21:17 +0200

Hello,

In general I like the idea since I'd run into this problem before (solved by
choosen private address space - but didn't helped when talking/writing about
NAT :-( )
I just like to ask if it would make sense to reserve an address (prefix) out
of EACH 1/8th identified block even if today unassigned (as in RFC2373). -
This could be unified in prefix length and value e.g. (thanks to Michael:
3FF8::/14; 5FF8::/14;  7FF8::/14; 9FF8::/14; BFF8::/14; DFF8::/14). No
matter what the other unnasigned blocks will be - it could be easier to
define it as of today. Just a thought.

BTW: You refered to the draft "draft-iana-special-ipv4-05.txt" which is
RFC3330 as of September this year.

Regards

Kai

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Thomas Narten
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 4:44 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: FWD: I-D ACTION:draft-narten-ipv6-iana-considerations-00.txt

Thomas

--NextPart

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-narten-ipv6-iana-considerations-00
.txt

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:

--NextPart

--OtherAccess

Content-Type: text/plain

ENCODING mime

--OtherAccess

Content-Type: text/plain

--OtherAccess--

--NextPart--

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:49:50 +0300 (EEST)

> define it as of today. Just a thought.

No, this doesn't make any sense at all, IMO.

Those other 1/8th's are supposed to be _unassigned_ for now.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

---

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 15:22:07 -0400

> allocate out of 001/3?). the /32 length is a strawman.

- great to see that the proposal I made on address space for documentation
is surviving! 
- I would propose that at least the space reserved is in well known
boundaries: /16, /24, /32.
- 3fff::/16 is for me the best: it is large, but simple and would cover
most cases needed. 
- if not agreeable (too large), then /24. which would have room for
aggregates in bgp routing.

Marc.