Subject: Node Requirements issue 2

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 14:10:43 +0300

Hi all,

> 	2) MIPv6 draft suggestions for Node requirements be accepted?

I've listed below the comments from Mobile IPv6 lastest draft.

I think they breakdown as:

All Nodes MUST be able to process Home Address Optional.
All Nodes MUST be able to send a Binding Error message. 
All Nodes MUST be able to participate in Return Routability

All nodes SHOULD be able to participate in Route Optimization
(see MIPv6 spec)

All Nodes MAY be a mobile node (refer to MIPv6 spec).
All routers MAY be a home agent (refer to MIPv6 spec).

Does the WG feel comfortable with this?

Detailed quotes from the MIPv6 spec in progress:
http://people.nokia.net/charliep/txt/mobilev6/mobilev6.txt

- General Requirements for All IPv6 Nodes

   Any IPv6 node may at any time be a correspondent node of a mobile
   node, either sending a packet to a mobile node or receiving a
   packet from a mobile node.  The following requirements are necessary
   for every IPv6 node (whether host or router, whether mobile or
   stationary), since otherwise communications may be impossible:

    -  The node MUST be able to process a Home Address option in any
       IPv6 packet, and validate the option using an IPsec SA, as
       described in Section 9.2.2.

    -  The node MUST be able to send a Binding Error message as
       described in Section 9.4.6.

- Route Optimization Requirements for All IPv6 Nodes

   The ability of a correspondent node to participate in route
   optimization is essential for the efficient operation of the IPv6
   Internet, beneficial for robustness and reduction of jitter and
   latency, and necessary to avoid congestion in the home network.  The
   following requirements apply to all correspondent nodes that support
   route optimization:

    -  The node MUST be able validate a Home Address option using an
       existing Binding Cache entry, as described in Section 9.2.2.

    -  The node MUST be able to participate in a return routability
       procedure (Section 9.3).

    -  The node MUST be able to process Binding Update messages
       (Section 9.4).

    -  The node MUST be able to return a Binding Acknowledgement
       (Section 6.1.8).

    -  The node MUST be able to maintain a Binding Cache of the
       bindings received in accepted Binding Updates, as described in
       Sections 9.1 and 9.5.

    -  The node MUST be able to insert a Routing Header type 2 into
       packets to be sent to a mobile node, as described in Section 9.6.

    -  Unless the correspondent node is also acting as a mobile node, it
       MUST ignore Type 2 Routing Headers and drop all packets that it
       has received with such headers.

    -  The node SHOULD be able to interpret ICMP messages as described
       in Section 9.7.

- Requirements for All IPv6 Routers

   All IPv6 routers, even those not serving as a home agent for
   Mobile IPv6, have an effect on how well mobile nodes can communicate:

    -  Every IPv6 router SHOULD be able to send an Advertisement
       Interval option (Section 7.3) in each of its Router
       Advertisements [12], to aid movement detection by mobile nodes
       (as in Section 11.5.1).  The use of this option in Router
       Advertisements MUST be configurable.

    -  Every IPv6 router SHOULD be able to support sending unsolicited
       multicast Router Advertisements at the faster rate described in
       Section 7.5.  The use of this faster rate MUST be configurable.

    -  Each router SHOULD include at least one prefix with the Router
       Address (R) bit set and with its full IP address in its Router
       Advertisements (as described in Section 7.2).

    -  Filtering routers SHOULD support different rules for Type 0 and
       Type 2 Routing Headers (see Section 6.4) so that filtering of
       source routed packets (Type 0) will not necessarily limit MIPv6
       traffic which is delivered via Type 2 Routing Headers.

- Requirements for IPv6 Home Agents

   In order for a mobile node to operate correctly while away from home,
   at least one IPv6 router on the mobile node's home link must function
   as a home agent for the mobile node.  The following additional
   requirements apply to all IPv6 routers that serve as a home agent:

    -  Every home agent MUST be able to maintain an entry in its Binding
       Cache for each mobile node for which it is serving as the home
       agent (Sections 10.1 and 10.3).

    -  Every home agent MUST be able to intercept packets (using
       proxy Neighbor Discovery [12]) addressed to a mobile node for
       which it is currently serving as the home agent, on that mobile
       node's home link, while the mobile node is away from home
       (Section 10.5).

    -  Every home agent MUST be able to encapsulate [15] such
       intercepted packets in order to tunnel them to the primary
       care-of address for the mobile node indicated in its binding in
       the home agent's Binding Cache (Section 10.6).

    -  Every home agent MUST support decapsulating [15] reverse tunneled
       packets sent to it from a mobile node's home address.  Every home
       agent MUST also check that the source address in the tunneled
       packets corresponds to the currently registered location of the
       mobile node (Section 10.7).

    -  Every home agent MUST be able to return a Binding Acknowledgement
       in response to a Binding Update received with the Acknowledge (A)
       bit set (Section 10.3).

    -  Every home agent MUST maintain a separate Home Agents List for
       each link on which it is serving as a home agent, as described in
       Section 4.5.

    -  Every home agent MUST be able to accept packets addressed to
       the Mobile IPv6 Home-Agents anycast address for the subnet
       on which it is serving as a home agent [16], and MUST be
       able to participate in dynamic home agent address discovery
       (Section 10.10).

    -  Every home agent SHOULD support a configuration mechanism to
       allow a system administrator to manually set the value to be sent
       by this home agent in the Home Agent Preference field of the Home
       Agent Information Option in Router Advertisements that it sends
       (Section 7.4).

    -  Every home agent SHOULD support sending ICMP Mobile Prefix
       Advertisements (Section 6.8), and SHOULD respond to Mobile Prefix
       Solicitations (Section 6.7).  This behavior MUST be configurable,
       so that home agents can be configured to avoid sending such
       Prefix Advertisements according to the needs of the network
       administration in the home domain.

    -  Every home agent MUST support IPSec ESP for protection of packets
       belonging to the return routability procedure (Section 10.8).

8.5. Requirements for IPv6 Mobile Nodes

   Finally, the following requirements apply to all IPv6 nodes capable
   of functioning as mobile nodes:

    -  The node MUST be able to perform IPv6 encapsulation and
       decapsulation [15].

    -  The node MUST support the return routability procedure
       (Section 5.2.5).

    -  The node MUST be able to send Binding Updates, as specified in
       Sections 11.7.1 and 11.7.2.

    -  The node MUST be able to receive and process Binding
       Acknowledgements, as specified in Section 11.7.3.

    -  The node MUST maintain a Binding Update List (Section 11.1).

    -  The node MUST support receiving a Binding Refresh Request
       (Section 6.1.2), by responding with a Binding Update.

    -  The node MUST support sending packets containing a Home Address
       option (Section 11.3.1).

    -  The node MUST maintain a Home Agents List, as described in
       Section 4.5.

    -  The node MUST support receiving Mobile Prefix Advertisements
       (Section 11.4.3) and reconfiguring its home address based on the
       prefix information contained therein.

    -  The node SHOULD support use of the dynamic home agent address
       discovery mechanism, as described in Section 11.4.1.

    -  The node MUST be able to process Type 2 Routing Header as defined
       in Sections 6.4 and 11.3.3.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 14:32:42 +0300

John, unfortunately the intermediate version you referenced
didn't yet include changes for the new consensus we reached on
the MIPv6 list. Below you will find the current summarized
situation:

All nodes MUST (no requirements!)
All nodes SHOULD be able to participate in Route Optimization
All nodes MAY be a mobile node
All routers MAY be a home agent

Here's the text:

8.1. General Requirements for All IPv6 Nodes

    Any IPv6 node may at any time be a correspondent node of a mobile
    node, either sending a packet to a mobile node or receiving a packet
    from a mobile node.  There are no Mobile IPv6 specific requirements
    for such nodes, and standard IPv6 techniques are sufficient.

8.2. Requirements for IPv6 Nodes that Support Route Optimisation

    Nodes that implement route optimization are a subset of all IPv6
    nodes on the Internet.  The ability of a correspondent node to
    participate in route optimization is essential for the efficient
    operation of the IPv6 Internet, beneficial for robustness and
    reduction of jitter and latency, and necessary to avoid congestion
    in the home network.  The following requirements apply to all
    correspondent nodes that support route optimization:

8.3. Requirements for All IPv6 Routers

8.4. Requirements for IPv6 Home Agents

     -  Every home agent MUST support IPsec ESP for protection of packets
        belonging to the return routability procedure (Section 10.8).