Subject: RE: IPv6 w.g. Last Call on "Well known site local unicast addres ses for DNS resolver"

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 11:58:01 -0400

>
>I didn't really get the impression about this mechanism
>is only for bootstrapping, although the example you
>mention can certainly be done. Maybe the authors or
>someone else can clarify.

As specified, this is not a bootstrapping mechanism.  A host
is expected to continue to use these the three default
addresses to reach DNS servers unless/until it is configured
to do otherwise.

Margaret

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 21:21:08 +0300 (EEST)

> addresses to reach DNS servers unless/until it is configured

Exactly, but this wouldn't have to be so.  Introduction:

                            Except for name resolution, all the other
   services are usually described using names, not addresses, such as
   smtp.myisp.net or webcache.myisp.net.  For obvious bootstrapping
   reasons, a node needs to be configured with the IP address (and not
   the name) of a DNS resolver.

doesn't really require 3 DNS addresses.

If one of the site-locals doesn't answer you, it's highly unlikely that 
the next one will (ie: not configured at all).  If the second doesn't 
answer either, it is almost unheard of if the third one does answer.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords