Subject: RE: Node Requirements issue 8

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 08:51:50 +0200

Hi Keith,

> DNS should not be a MUST.  not all applications need to use it.
> Also, DNS is a separate service from IP. IP should not be 
> thought to be dependent on DNS.

I tend to agree with you.  I see the following options:

1) For IPv6 nodes, DNS is a MUST if applications require it.
2) For IPv6 nodes, support for DNS SHOULD be included, as many
	applications require it.
3) For IPv6 nodes, DNS SHOULD be included as DNS support is a 
	'good thing.'
4) For IPv6 nodes, DNS MAY be included.

Any suggestions?

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 07:49:40 -0500

> 4) For IPv6 nodes, DNS MAY be included.

IMHO this is the correct option.  If apps require it then it will be
included regardless of what this document says.  And nothing stops apps
from implementing DNS themselves (i.e. linking in an appropriate library
which is available to the app developer whether or not it is available
on the node).

DNS is just an application protocol anyway.

Also, I think the purpose of this document is not so much to state what 
functions are required of a node by its own applications, since these will 
presumably drive the function of the node anyway.  I think it needs to state 
what node functions are required by other nodes, or by the network.

Keith