Subject: RE: Limiting the Use of Site-Local

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:11:05 -0800

>> ... How do you reconfigure a router to forward
>> site-local traffic to the outside?

> Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
> create a tunnel.

Good idea. Trouble is, the tunneling protocol is blocked by the
firewall. What's your next move?

(You don't expect to find a router that is connected to a secure network
being a sitting duck on the Internet not being protected by a firewall,
do you?)

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 16:24:53 -0500

> firewall. What's your next move?

what *does* the firewall allow through?  if the answer is "nothing",
we've reduced this to the "no external connectivity case" and you can
save a bunch of money by simply removing the firewall and auctioning
it on eBay.

If the answer is "protocol X", I just need to find a way to tunnel IP
datagrams inside protocol X.  I've seen worked examples using DNS,
http, ssh, smtp, ...

					- Bill