Subject: Node Requirements - issue 1

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 13:53:58 +0300

Hi all,

Delving a bit deeper into this:

> 	1) What is the correct level of support for MLD?  
> 		Should MLDv2 be supported as well?

I have gotten comments stating:

	MLD should be Conditionally Mandatory based on the use of multicast
	"applications" on the node (where the multicast group is of scope
	2 or higher, except the all-nodes group).  A primary IPv6 multicast
	application is Neighbor Discovery (all those solicited-node mcast
	addresses must be joined).

and from Brian Haberman:

	MLDv2 has been submitted to the IESG.  Given that, MLDv2 is the
	correct level of support.

So I think I should add text conformant to the above.

br,
John

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:11:43 +0300 (EEST)

> So I think I should add text conformant to the above.

I might a bit hesitant to add a MUST for MLDv2, as MLDv2 is new and much 
more code than MLDv1; rather like MUST for MLDv1 as above, SHOULD for 
overall MLDv2.

Depends on how often you want to revise the doc, I guess.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords