Subject: source address selection question

From: Sebastien Roy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:35:20 -0400

I'm slightly confused about the following wording in section 4 of the
default address selection draft:

   If an application or upper-layer specifies a source address that is
   not in the candidate set for the destination, then the network layer
   MUST treat this as an error. The specified source address may
   influence the candidate set, by affecting the choice of outgoing
   interface.

Could someone clarify the intention of this paragraph?  The only input
accepted by the source address mechanism specified in this draft is a
destination address and a candidate set.  Where does an application or
an upper-layer get to "specify" a source address in this mechanism?

If the intent of the paragraph is to restrict what addresses
applications can use as source addresses when this default mechanism
isn't used, then I think it's outside the scope of the document.  This
document should, in my opinion, only deal with the default case when
an application has not specified an explicit source address.

-Sebastien

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------