Subject: Re: Node Requirements Issue 9

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 12:02:16 -0500

I don't know if we want to say that IPv6 nodes SHOULD implement
IPv4...  However, I do think it makes sense to have a section
that includes additional requirements (if any) for dual-stack
nodes.

Margaret

At 07:25 AM 10/27/02, [email-masked] wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>9) Are Transition mechanisms mandatory; is support for IPv4 mandatory?
>
>I think that IPv4 is not mandatory, but a strong SHOULD.  If IPv4
>is supported, then some sort of transition mechanism is madatory -
>anyone have suggestions on what should be mandatory?  Text suggestions
>are helpful.
>
>John
>
>--------------------------------------------------------------------
>IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
>IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
>FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
>Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
>--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 12:50:33 -0500

> that includes additional requirements (if any) for dual-stack

I agree both that IPv6 nodes should probably not be required in any
sense to implement IPv4, and also that it makes sense to ask whether
there are any additional requirements for dual-stack hosts.

Actually it might be worthwhile to consider three categories

- native IPv6 only
- native IPv6 with IPv4 supported only via tunneling over IPv6
- native IPv6 and native IPv4 both fully supported
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------