Subject: Node Requirements issue 10

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 14:27:44 +0200

Hi all,

11) Requirements language (MUST/SHOULD/MAY, etc.) needs discussion.

I have gotten the comment that:

 >In general are we planning to map "unconditional" and "conditional"
 >clauses into MAY/SHOULD/MUST etc. ?
 >
 >unconditionally mandatory --> MUST
 >conditionally mandatory  --> MUST if the condition is true
 >conditionally optional    ---> SHOULD
 >unconditionally optional   ---> MAY
 
 It does not map exactly to SHOULD.  SHOULD means that we recommend that one 
 should implement this (but there might be reasons why one doesn't), where 
 "conditionally optional" loses the recommendation part.

I think I agree, and will make the change - however, this may cause some
additional work in the future, to ensure that all of the requirement
language usage makes sense for all types of devices, from servers to
embedded stacks for lightbulbs.

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------