Subject: RE: Optimistic DAD draft ...

From: "Bound, Jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 11:15:50 -0400

I simply cannot believe it is 1000 ms.  Like I said lets get some
empircal data.

/jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick 'Sharkey' Moore [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 5:24 PM
To: Tony Hain
Cc: 'Charles E. Perkins'; 'Pekka Savola'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Optimistic DAD draft ...

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 03:18:34PM -0700, Tony Hain wrote:
> 
> It seems like this would be a bigger latency concern than DAD.

1000ms is a long time by anyone's standards!

> Maybe I just don't understand the technology well enough, but I from 
> my limited perspective it would seem that the current GGSN would know 
> which radio system the MN was attached to, and therefore could figure 
> out the candidate set of destinations for a hand-off.

If only the networks we are experimenting with were so civilized!
There's a lot of interest in getting MIPv6 working on 802.11 
networks though ...

-----N
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Nick 'Sharkey' Moore" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 08:23:56 +1000

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 11:15:50AM -0400, Bound, Jim wrote:
> [Nick 'Sharkey' Moore wrote:]

I was referring to the DAD delay, eg: RETRANS_TIMER from RFC 2461.

We could obviously just reduce the RETRANS_TIMER value, but for
real-time services we'd have to ask ourselves "How long is 
too long for real-time? How short is too short for reliable
collision detection?"

-----N