Subject: draft-lee-optimal-detect-pmtu-00.txt

From: Pyungsoo Kim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 09:01:38 +0900

Dear IPv6 WG:

The following draft is posted newly in the drafts 
directory http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lee-optimal-detect-pmtu-00.txt

Title : Optimal Detecting Increases in PMTU 
Author(s) : HAK GOO LEE,  PYUNG SOO KIM,  YOUNG KEUN KIM,  CHU KYO SHIN

Abstract : 
    This document presents a new method for the detection of increases
    in PMTU using the newly defined Hop-by-Hop option header.
    To detect increases in a path's PMTU, a node does not increase its 
    assumed PMTU unconditionally without considering network status, 
    but measures its real PMTU, and then replaces the previous PMTU with 
    new one. To measure node's real PMTU, the node sends the IP packet
    with the newly defined Hop-by-Hop option header to the destination 
    node right before a timer expires. This can eliminate the chance of 
    occurrence of packets being discarded and Packet Too Big messages 
    being generated.

What do you think?

Pyungsoo

-------------------------------------------------------------
Pyungsoo Kim
Senior Engineer, Ph. D.
Mobile Platform Group, Digital Media R&D Center
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Tel  : +82-31-200-4635
Email: [email-masked]
URL  : http://cisl.snu.ac.kr/~kps
-------------------------------------------------------------