Subject: RE: IPv6 w.g. Last Call on "Well known site local unicast addres ses for DNS resolver"

From: "Hesham Soliman (EAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:03:48 +0200

Hi Rob,

One question

 From : Rob Austein [mailto:[email-masked]]
  > > My main objection was and remains that this mechanism, if 
  > used, moves
  > > state away from the endpoints and into the network in a way that
  > > cripples the resolver's ability to keep track of which of the name
  > > servers it is using are performing properly, since the 
  > binding between
  > > any particular well-known-address and the name server 
  > behind it might
  > > change at any time and since there is no mechanism by which the
  > > resolver can find out that such a change has taken place.
  > > 

=> Are you assuming that more than one server will
be configured with the same well-known site-local
address? Because I don't think this is necessary, now
that we have 3 different addresses. The binding betweem
the well-known address and the name server need not change.

Hesham
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 14:18:02 -0400

At Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:03:48 +0200, Hesham Soliman wrote:
> 
> Are you assuming that more than one server will be configured with
> the same well-known site-local address? Because I don't think this
> is necessary, now that we have 3 different addresses. The binding
> betweem the well-known address and the name server need not change.

Since the alleged purpose of this mechanism is to avoid using any kind
of real discovery protocol, and given the discussion of route
injection in the draft, I am assuming that the recovery mechanisms in
case of a server failure may include fiddling with the routing system.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------