Subject: RE: Limiting the Use of Site-Local

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:58:55 -0800

> Why should I believe that a sufficiently determined
> adversary couldn't somehow obtain a bootleg copy of
> IOS source?

So tell me which of the following setups is the most secure:

a) The one that requires, in order to be hacked, to get a bootleg copy
of the IOS source, all the tools needed to compile it, understand how it
works, be able to modify the code...

b) The one that does not?

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 17:57:16 -0500

> b) The one that does not?

you don't have to have the source to IOS in order to figure out a way 
to get a router to tunnel the traffic to a compromised, programmable host 
of your choosing.  just build the attack into a mail virus.  then all
you need is one client inside the firewall running outlook express...

Keith