Subject: RE: Limiting the Use of Site-Local

From: "Richard Draves" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 13:29:16 -0800

>   >      There is, however, a potential risk to using 
>   > site-local addresses
>   >      for long-lived connections.  Those connections may 
>   > fail when a site
>   >      becomes partitioned, even if global connectivity is 
>   > still available
>   >      between the partitions.
> 
> => FWIW, I think that one can see this as an advantage.
> An admin might not want these connections to survive
> when going through the Internet (outside the site). 
> When the site was partitioned, an admin could have forgotten 
> about these connections (?) and using site-local helped made 
> this obvious. As opposed to having (potentially) sensitive 
> data going over the public net. 

Yes of course that's an advantage. I can't imagine anyone (from
enterprise network administrator to home user) wanting intra-site
communication to suddenly be routed outside the site.

Rich

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:53:00 -0500

> communication to suddenly be routed outside the site.

nor can I.  but why wouldn't simple filters on outgoing interfaces
solve this?

or to put it another way, why do you have so much faith in 
filters of SL addresses and so little faith in filters of prefixes?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------