Subject: RE: Limiting the Use of Site-Local

From: "Bound, Jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 00:25:27 -0500

Mark,

> > Please think about this for a minute.  It's bad enough for 
> > applications that are driven by a human who can type or click or 
> > whatever from a list of possible scopes, but what do you do for 
> > programs like MTAs?  If you're longing for a return to the days of 
> > fee!fie%foe@fum email addresess (or even 
> [email-masked].#Chaos), 
> > you're on the right road.
> 
> 	No Rob.
> 
> 	I'm talking about 1 name with multiple addresses being
> 	returned in multiple scopes.  I'm taking about having
> 	getaddrinfo() then filter out the inappropriate addresses
> 	using local knowledge and setting sin6_scope_id.
> 	This deals with 99.9% of address lookup.

We have not even agreed on what sin6_scope_ID is?  It is also now
deprecated for futher study in this wg in the base API except for
link-local and in the IEEE.  So how can you justify putting it in the
DNS except as research?  Did not we all learn from AAAAv6?

Can you define what you mean by "local knowledge"

How does DNS know that scope applies to the node that did the
getaddrinfo if it don't know?  Which all but a few implementations know
today and I have many questions for those that say they do.

Regards,
/jim

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 07:42:05 +1100

> Can you define what you mean by "local knowledge"

	A mapping table between scope name (in the DNS) and sin6_scope_ID
	(being the 32 bit value that being used by the node to identify
	that site / link).

--
Mark Andrews, Internet Software Consortium
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------