Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-narten-ipv6-iana-considerations-00.txt

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 08:31:37 -0700

Thomas,

> Thomas Narten wrote:
> There has been some private discussion about the need
> for addresses for documentation, but it's probably worth
> discussing how much address space is needed for this
> purpose, and what the prefix should be (e.g., allocate
> out of 001/3?). the /32 length is a strawman.

There is a fundamental question here, which is whether or not to
consider documentation new or not-yet-implemented proposals. If the
answer is yes, I have an immediate need for a /15. Let's say you want to
document a new protocol comparable to 6to4; you need a /16 right off the
bat.

If it was my call, I would allocate 3FF8::/14 for documentation.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:21:00 -0400

> document a new protocol comparable to 6to4; you need a /16 right off the

The intent of the "documentation prefix" is not for describing new
protocols. Presumably, documents defining new protocols can give
examples as they see fit (in IDs), and if the ID gets published as an
RFC, any addresses needed would presumably be allocated (or
something). Not something we need to worry about here.

The purpose of the documentation prefix is assumed to be vendors
wanting to give examples in their documentation for things like sample
config files.

Thomas

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:10:37 +0300 (EEST)

> wanting to give examples in their documentation for things like sample

Was there something wrong in 3FFE:FF::/24? 

I guess some want it allocated directly from IANA..

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

---

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:21:23 -0700

> If it was my call, I would allocate 3FF8::/14 for documentation.

And if you wanted to document a complete different address scheme, you 
would need at least
half the entire address space....
I do not think this is a valid argument. One need to reserve a portion 
of the
address space to describe example scenarios in product documentation.
For that, the address space need to be large enough to accommodate
a decent size network. I think a /32 is plenty and I support Thomas 
proposal...

	- Alain.