Subject: Node Requirements issue 8

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 14:23:31 +0200

Hi all,	

8) Support for DNS (is it a MUST)?  Support for DNS discovery / DHCP?

The design team has waviered over DNS.  Some say a strong SHOULD is enough,
others say it is a MUST.  What does this list feel?

Should some level of DNS discovery / configuration be mandatory if DNS
is used?  I guess manual configuration would be a MUST in that case. 
The on-going DNS discovery issue still is yet to be completed, but could
we mention something in the draft+

Also, what about DHCPv6?  Is it mandatory, if so what are the madatory
components, etc.  Should it be mandatory for all types of devices?  I think
a SHOULD or MAY, with some detail may be sufficient.

best regards,
John

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 09:48:25 -0500

DNS should not be a MUST.  not all applications need to use it.
Also, DNS is a separate service from IP. IP should not be 
thought to be dependent on DNS.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 11:55:00 -0500 (EST)

We discussed the DHCPv6 issue at the v6ops meeting thsi past August.

One observation about the requirement for DHCPv6 is the requirement for
clarifying references to "stateful autoconfiguration" (SAAC):
does SAAC == DHCPv6?  Where does manual configuration fit?

Related to the previous question is the requirement for clarification of
the 'M' and 'O' bits: for example, does setting the 'O' bit mean that
hosts MUST perform SAAC for "other configuration information", which
(depending on the answer to the question "SAAC == DHCPv6") has an impact
on the requirement for implication of DHCPv6.

I have a draft that I expect to submit for publication later today that
summarizes these questions and a couple of other isssues around DHCPv6
that we discussed in the v6ops WG meeting...

- Ralph