Subject: Node Requirements Issue 7

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 14:19:51 +0200

Hi all,

Issue 7 is:

 7) Sub-IP layers (IP over Foo) - should all be included, or just one or two?

Brian Haberman said:

 Given that new layer-2 technologies will appear and future docs may/will
 define how IPv6 runs over those layers, I would suggest using generic
 text that says that if a vendor wants to support IPv6 over a particular
 L2, then they must implement the IPv6-over-foo spec for that L2.  Then
 I would give a few examples (IPv6-over-ethernet, etc.).

I agree, what does the list think?

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 16:33:05 +0200

> I agree, what does the list think?

I understand that the list can't be complete. However, it would
be useful to have the list of all current IPv6 over Foos as a reference.
Also, there might be situations where there are multiple alternatives
or the specification is missing, leading to confusion.

So my suggestion is to include all the current IPv6 over Foos and then
give Brian's rule as a catch-all at the end.

Jari