Subject: Node Requirements Issues 4, 5, & 6

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 14:18:17 +0200

Hi all,

Recently all of these issues have been discussed on the list, and I wanted to check
if any of these have implication on the node requirements:

  4) Some issues that have come-up during Address Scoping discussion.

  5) Anything needed to be captured Address Architecture document implications

  6) Default Address Selection level of support.

I have gotten a number of private mails saying that Default Address Selection should not
be mandatory. What is the list's view?

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 09:46:53 -0500

> I have gotten a number of private mails saying that Default Address Selection
> should not be mandatory. What is the list's view?

I'm all for consistent behavior across implementations, but it's unrealistic 
to think that a single default set of rules will work for all or even most 
applications, in all or even most environments.

no default address selection rule is going to be very useful by itself.
to be useful something like the following are also needed:

- some constraints on use of scoped addresses
  (as input to network designers/maintainers)
- some constraints on address instability
  (as input to network designers/maintainers and app designers/implementors)
- some ability for apps to input into the address selection algorithm
  what their needs are - e.g. is privacy more important than
  address stability?  is there a need for this address to be
  globally usable?

Keith