Subject: [Draft] The PMTU Discovery for IPv6 Using Hop-by-Hop Option Header

From: Soohong Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 14:31:03 +0900

Dear folks.

I'd like to discuss this draft "The PMTU Discovery for IPv6 Using
Hop-by-Hop Option Header", it's not submitted yet. Before I propose, I
want to listen some comments and opinion from IPv6 folks. I'll attach
this draft. Please look into and response.

	Daniel

----------------------------------------------------------------
  Abstract   

  This document presents a new method for the PMTU discovery for IPv6. 
  To discover the PMTU of a path, a source node measures its actual PMTU
  using the newly defined Hop-by-Hop Option header, whereas a source 
  node initially assumes that the PMTU of a path is the known MTU of 
  the first hop in the path in the previous one [1981]. In order to 
  measure the actual PMTU, the source node sends the IP packet with the
  newly defined Hop-by-Hop Option header to the destination node with 
  the first data packet when node is beginning. This can eliminate the 
  chance of occurrence of several iterations of the somewhat complex 
  discovery cycle (sending a packet, receiving a Packet Too Big message,
  reducing a packet size). Most of all, since existing PMTU has a weak 
  point for security and denial-of-service attacks, this document 
  suggests a security function when PMTU is going on.
  
  All IPv6 nodes, including both hosts and routers, must implement newly
  Options as defined in this specification.

==============================================
     Soohong Daniel Park
     Researcher
     Mobile Platform Lab, Samsung electronics
     TEL:+82-31-200-3728  FAX:+82-31-200-3147
     mailto:[email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------