Subject: RE: dns discovery for agenda? [Re: chairs and charter]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 20:28:16 +0200

Hi Mika,

> On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 07:19, Erik Nordmark wrote:
> >  - conflicting information
> > 	A host might use DHCPv6 for other reasons/other information.
> > 	What should it do if the RAs and the DHCPv6 reply contains
> > 	different DNS information?
> > 	What if different RAs received on the same interface contain
> > 	different DNS information?
> 
> If they all work, what's the problem?

I think that the worry is what to do if they all don't work.  Therefore,
simple rules in what to do in that case is all is needed (I hope).

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mika Liljeberg <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Mar 2003 20:38:30 +0200

Hi John,

> simple rules in what to do in that case is all is needed (I hope).

That sounds like a configuration error to me. Why advertise dysfuntional
DNS servers? It doesn't matter whether there is a single source or
multiple sources of DNS addresses. The only way a resolver can choose a
working DNS server is to try each server on the list until it finds one.

	MikaL