Subject: Mobility in Nodes Requirements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 07:09:47 +0200

Jim,
> >    Hosts MAY support mobile node functionality.
> 
> This should be SHOULD.  The changing specs are not or can be an issue
> but this document is riddled with changing specs.

I don't believe that servers, for example, need to implement mobile
node functionality.  If a node is fixed and will not move, what use
is mobile node functionality?

> >    Hosts SHOULD support route optimization requirements for
> >    correspondent nodes. Routers do not need to support route
> >    optimization.
> > 
> >    Routers MAY support home agent functionality.
> 
> Routers SHOULD support the HA is correct effort.  Otherwise 
> MIPv6 don't work.

Not all routers need to be Home Agents  I don't believe that
plain, vanilla routers will be affected by home agent functionality.

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:58:30 -0500

> is mobile node functionality?

indeed.  and, as another example, my laptop is portable, but is almost
always stationary when connected to a network, and as a result does
just fine without any mobile node functionality.

						- Bill