Subject: Re: why DNS discovery [Re: Revised IPv6 charter and DNS discovery]

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 19:38:03 +0100 (CET)

> Actually, the security properties of RA-piggybacking solutions are roughly 
> on the same level as with DHCP and friends, not to mention general 
> connectivity.

There might be a difference in that the DHC WG is supposedly
working on deployable security for DHCP.
But then again, we have SEND which might help secure the RAs.

So "roughly the same" might capture both the situation today and in the future.

  Erik

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 06:09:43 +0000

> So "roughly the same" might capture both the situation today and in the future.

OK, well, at present there seems only mild interest at best in this, even
by the original RA method author :)   But I'd like to see one more push made
on the concept as it is useful for the stateless scenario (like Pekka, I
visit many IPv6 networks and it is a missing piece - of course in part
because very few people have running DHCPv6, but should they have to deploy
it just for DNS?).

Tim

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 19:11:42 +0100

> because very few people have running DHCPv6, but should they have to deploy

A stateless DHCPv6 server (not handing out addresses) might be very
light-weight, and it looks like at least some router vendors are
about to offer this already. I believe it makes little difference
whether the protocol is DHCPv6 or something else, and many hosts and
routers will need some form of DHCPv6 support anyway to allow
configuration of other parameters.

Stig

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:18:47 -0500

We have a stateless DHCPv6 server and client in IOS.  They are both pretty 
lightweight - both to implement and to configure.  I'm going to go off this 
afternoon and try to develop a more quantitative measure of "lightweight".

- Rlaph