Subject: RE: Mobility in Nodes Requirements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 06:07:49 +0200

Hi, Pekka et co.!

Actually, the current charter says:
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ipv6-charter.html

"APR 03 Submit IPv6 Node Requirements to IESG for Informational."

I also think that Info (or BCP) is the correct category.

Cheers,
	-Juha-

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Pekka Savola [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 21 March, 2003 01:28
To: Tim Hartrick
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Mobility in Nodes Requirements

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Tim Hartrick wrote:
> In general, I agree with Jim here.  I have never seen the need for an
> IPv6 node requirements specification.  The need for the IPv4 host requirements
> document was in large part driven by the large number of ambiguities and
> bugs in the original IPv4 RFCs.  [...]

I agree, at least to a degree: I believe the optimal category should be
BCP or Informational.  PS (as is currently in the charter) is also fine,
though I see little which would require this -- and in fact might give a
wrong picture of the nature of the memo.

But this is a discussion we probably have had many times -- too bad I just 
remember the outcome and justifications (well, one: IPv4 NodeReqs was PS 
for reasons given by Tim).

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 06:09:05 +0200 (EET)

> I also think that Info (or BCP) is the correct category.

Oh, must have misread -- thanks.