Subject: ISATAP in unmanaged networks?

From: Fred Templin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 06:53:38 -0800 (PST)

Hello,
 
It just now occurs to me that Christian's unmanaged networks
presentiation during v6ops yesterday did not mention ISATAP
as one of the automatic tunneling alternatives, and I wonder
why this is so.
 
I have not studied this space, but it occurs to me that ISATAP
could be tried as a first alternative to check whether the two
hosts are separated by a NAT. If there is no intervening NAT,
it seems to me that ISATAP would provide the benefit of not
needing the UDP header and "bubble" packets, yielding
greater efficiency. Otherwise, if blocked by a NAT the
initiating host coud after a short timeout try again with
Teredo.
 
I know that ISATAP has been seen as in the Enterprise
space, but I see potential applicability here for the
unmanaged. Comments?
 
Fred Templin
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:58:09 +0900

>initiating host coud after a short timeout try again with

	ISATAP requires an ISATAP router in a site to advertise RA in a
	pretty weird fashion, which is clearly a drawback.

itojun

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Fred Templin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 07:09:08 -0800 (PST)

Itojun,
 
I subscribe to the model that all nodes may indeed be routers.
This comes mainly from my background in MANET, but I see
the paradigm as possibly appropriate here as well. If each node
in the site were a router, we would be sending an RS in the
expectation of getting back an RA with more-specific routes
and (in most cases) zero in the router_lifetime field.
 
We will certainly still have our default router(s) as told by the
Potential Router List. But, if we view the global DNS as an
extension to the PRL, we can select ISATAP routers for more
specific routes on an on-demand basis.
 
Sorry for not saying all of this at the microphone yesterday, but
I was preoccupied with other matters at the time.
 
Thanks - Fred
[email-masked]

itojun

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 07:23:29 -0800

Folks,

Please keep this thread on the v6ops list and do not cross post to ipv6.

Thanks,
Bob