Subject: comment on RFC3542

From: Nicholas Carbone <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:00:21 -0500

I am working on the implementation of the APIs that build routing headers
and options headers from RFC3542.  Is there a particular reason that
non-standard type uint_t is used for the align argument to
inet6_opt_append()?

Nick Carbone
IBM

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:35:04 +0900

(Sorry for the long delay in responding)

>>>>> On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:00:21 -0500, 
>>>>> Nicholas Carbone <[email-masked]> said:

> non-standard type uint_t is used for the align argument to

No, it should be a bug.  Actually, "uint_t" introduced from the very
beginning of the document, and we simply have not noticed the bug...

The "Summary of New Definitions" section of
draft-ietf-ipngwg-2292bis-01.txt says

     <netinet/in.h>    int inet6_opt_append(void *, size_t, int,
                                            uint8_t, size_t, uint_8, void **);

so, I guess the original intention was "uint8_t".

And, in fact, the current implementation of the KAME project uses
uint8_t for the align parameter.

I don't know how to correct this one, though.  Obviously, we cannot
revise the document again just due to this problem.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 15:58:17 +0200 (EET)

> revise the document again just due to this problem.

Well, one could at least report it to:

http://www.rfc-editor.org/cgi-bin/errata.pl (link form the main page)

.. but most folks probably don't check that when reading the 
specs..

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings