Subject: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-vijay-ipv6-icmp-refresh-otherconf-00.txt]

From: Vijayabhaskar A K <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:21:21 +0530

The related drafts are:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vijay-dhc-dhcpv6-mcast-reconf-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chown-dhc-stateless-dhcpv6-renumbering-00.txt

Please go through these three drafts and let me know your comments

Vijay

-- 
__________________________________________________________
Vijayabhaskar A K            Phone : +91-80-2053085
Hewlett Packard              Mobile: +91-9845241382
29 Cunningham Road           Telnet: 847-3085
Bangalore 52                 Email : [email-masked]

Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore,
you will not know the terror of being forever lost at sea.
 __________________________________________________________

Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-vijay-ipv6-icmp-refresh-otherconf-00.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce: ;
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:25:40 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: ND Support to trigger the nodes refresh the other configuration
	Author(s)	: a. Vijayabhaskar
	Filename	: draft-vijay-ipv6-icmp-refresh-otherconf-00.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 2003-11-25
	
Neighbor Discovery for IPv6 [RFC2461] provides a way by which the
nodes can determine whether to use administered protocol for address
autoconfiguration and other non-address information through M and O
bits in the Router Advertisements.  Though RAs can notify nodes of a
change in the address prefixes, currently there is no way the nodes
can learn that there is a change in the non-address configuration
parameters.  This will make the nodes unable to learn about new or
changed configuration parameters like DNS server addresses.  This
specification extends the Neighbor Discovery protocol [RFC2461] to
notify the nodes that the other information obtained through an
administered protocol has been changed.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vijay-ipv6-icmp-refresh-otherconf-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-vijay-ipv6-icmp-refresh-otherconf-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-vijay-ipv6-icmp-refresh-otherconf-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Soohong Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 09:57:42 +0900

um... for this operation, all nodes MUST be a DHCPv6 client
when obtaining required information. At this case, current DHCPv6
operation * Reconfigure procedure * can be used for that without
any new defined option...

Am I missing something ?

Regards

Daniel (Soohong Daniel Park)
Mobile Platform Laboratory, SAMSUNG Electronics 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of Vijayabhaskar A K
> Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 11:51 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Fwd: I-D 
> ACTION:draft-vijay-ipv6-icmp-refresh-otherconf-00.txt]
> 
> 
> The related drafts are:
> 

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 09:45:07 +0000

Hi Daniel,

Maybe you didn't read my problem statement draft that Vijay cited below?

I don't think you can use the Reconfigure message when the client is only
using stateless DHCPv6 because the server is then not handling IP leases
and thus has no list of client IPs to send the unicast Reconfigure message to.

That's the whole assumption of the problem statement and the resulting
proposals by Vijay (ND option on link + multicast message from server to
relays) and Stig (lifetime option) to solve that.    Stig's option is simpler
but does not address all cases.

Tim