Subject: RE: Node Req: Issue31: DHCPv6 text (ignore previous mails)

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:15:32 -0500

I strongly suggest the use of "Nodes" (unqualified) in the text
about the 'O' bit:

    IPv6 Nodes that implement DHCP, MUST use DHCP upon
    the receipt of a Router Advertisement with the 'O' flag set (see
    section 5.5.3 of RFC2462).

There is no reason a router can't use DHCPv6 for other configuration
information.

However, there is some question about any discussion of "nodes" and
RAs, as there may be text in RFC 2461 (I'm working from memory, here, which
in my case is a remarkably unreliable service; I hope someone more familiar
with RFC 2461 can confirm or deny) that allows or requires
routers to ignore RAs.

- Ralph

At 09:06 AM 11/20/2003 -0500, Soliman Hesham wrote:
>  >
>  > Is there a reason to differentiate between nodes acting as
>  > hosts here, but
>  > not in the paragraph describing the behavior in response to
>  > the 'M' bit?
>
>=> In general, unless previously discussed and rejected for some
>reason, I'd globally: s/Nodes (acting as hosts)/host
>
>It's a bit clumsy to read as it is.
>
>Hesham

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:29:10 +0200 (EET)

> There is no reason a router can't use DHCPv6 for other configuration

I agree on this point.

However, the text you quote is ambiguous, which was the reason for my
rewording proposal.  If A node gets 'O' -bit advertisement (without M
bit), and implements DHCP, should it try to run it in "stateless 
mode", without trying to get addresses or not?

That is, "use DHCP" is not clear because it can refer to getting
addresses, other config information or both.

Similarly, "implement DHCP" is not clear, because you can implement 
full or stateless DHCP, which provide different functions.

This text needs a bit of revising.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:39:58 -0500

Pekka - The specific text is ambiguous ... however, in John's
message of 11/20, there is a sentence later in the same paragraph:

    In this context, 'use DHCP' means trying to obtain only other
    configuration information through DHCP, not address(es).

That sentence clarifies the text I quoted.

- Ralph