Subject: Comments on draft-ietf-ipv6-ula-central-00.txdt

From: Kurt Erik Lindqvist <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:20:55 +0200

>1.0 Introduction
 >
 >   This document defines an Centrally allocated IPv6 unicast address
 >   format that is globally unique and is intended for local
 >   communications [IPV6].  These addresses are called Unique Local IPv6
 >   Unicast Addresses and are abbreviated in this document as Local IPv6
 >   addresses.  They are not expected to be routable on the global
 >   Internet.  They are routable inside of a more limited area such as a
 >   site.  They may also be routed between a limited set of sites.

Instead of "They are not expected to be routable on the global
Internet", why not say "These addresses, are not aggregatable and
therefor should not be routable on the public Internet"? What I am
after is that there is nowhere in this document explained a) Why
non-aggregated addresses should not be routed, or b) That these
addresses SHOULD/MUST/are expected to be filtered at some border
router. This is said in [ULA] which is referenced, but the above seem
much more vague than what is described in 4.0 in
[ULA]

 >3.2.2  Sample Code for Pseudo-Random Global ID Algorithm
 >
 >   The algorithm described below is intended to be used for centrally
 >   assigned Global IDs.  In each case the resulting global ID will be
 >   used in the appropriate prefix as defined in section 3.2.
 >
 >     1) Obtain the current time of day in 64-bit NTP format [NTP].
 >     2) Obtain an EUI-64 identifier from the system running this
 >        algorithm.  If an EUI-64 does not exist, one can be created 
from
 >        a 48-bit MAC address as specified in [ADDARCH].  If an EUI-64
 >        cannot be obtained or created, a suitably unique identifier,
 >        local to the node, should be used (e.g. system serial
 >number).

I think it would be better with a word or two on why EUI-64 and NTP
time is used. Just as reference.

The following references are never reffered to in the text and are
probably a result of copy-and-paste from ULA.

 >6.0 References
 >
 >6.1 Normative References
 >
 >   [POPUL]   Population Reference Bureau, "World Population Data Sheet
 >             of the Population Reference Bureau 2002",  August 2002.

[...]

 >6.2 Informative References
 >
 >   [ADDAUTO] Thomson, S., T. Narten, "IPv6 Stateless Address
 >             Autoconfiguration", RFC 2462, December 1998.

[...]

 >
 >   [ADDSEL]  Draves, R., "Default Address Selection for Internet
 >             Protocol version 6 (IPv6)", RFC 3484, February 2003.

[...]

 >   [DHCP6]   Droms, R., et. al., "Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
 >             for IPv6 (DHCPv6)", RFC3315, July 2003.
 >
 >   [RTP]     Schulzrinne, H., S. Casner, R. Frederick, V. Jacobson,
 >             "RTP: A Transport Protocol for Real-Time Applications"
 >             RFC3550, July 2003.

- - kurtis -

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------