Subject: SSM or PIM-SSM

From: António Amaral <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:50:50 +0100

Dear all,

I am studying multicast IPv4 and IPv6 protocols and I have the following
doubt. 

As I can conclude SSM is an alternative to ASM model, so when I refer SSM is
Source-Specific Multicast Model, but we can say that PIM protocol is
composed by several types PIM-DM, PIM-SM, PIM-Bidir. It is correct say that
PIM-SSM is another type of PIM, or we just refer SSM as routing protocol?
There is any draft or RFC that defines PIM-SSM protocol? In my search I only
see referred SSM, so when we referred SSM we do not distinguish if we are
talking about multicast model or about multicast routing protocol.

Can you please clarify this notation?

Best Regards

------------------------------------------

António Manuel N. C. Amaral

Networks and Multimedia

Institute of Telecommunications - Aveiro

P-3810-193 AVEIRO - PORTUGAL
Phone: +351 234 377900

Fax: +351 234 377901

e-mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "O.L.N.Rao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:52:33 +0530

Hello Manuel,

    SSM is a WG at IETF @ http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ssm-charter.html

    PIM SSM I found expired draft @ http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-bhattach-pim-ssm-00.txt

    And there are so many other links for multicast related drafts @ ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/ipmulticast/drafts
    
    Hope this information helps :)

    All the best

Warm Wishes & Best Regards,
O.L.N. Rao

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: António Amaral 
  To: IETF-IPNG 
  Sent: Monday, July 19, 2004 8:20 PM
  Subject: SSM or PIM-SSM

  Dear all,

  I am studying multicast IPv4 and IPv6 protocols and I have the following doubt. 

  As I can conclude SSM is an alternative to ASM model, so when I refer SSM is Source-Specific Multicast Model, but we can say that PIM protocol is composed by several types PIM-DM, PIM-SM, PIM-Bidir. It is correct say that PIM-SSM is another type of PIM, or we just refer SSM as routing protocol? There is any draft or RFC that defines PIM-SSM protocol? In my search I only see referred SSM, so when we referred SSM we do not distinguish if we are talking about multicast model or about multicast routing protocol.

  Best Regards

  Networks and Multimedia

  Fax: +351 234 377901

  e-mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------