Subject: [psg.com #256] Eliminate random delay in RS transmission

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 07:54:26 +0000

Issue:
-------
This issue was raised in order to speed movement detection
for mobile nodes. The random delay added before sending 
router solicitation slows down movement detection significantly.
In Seoul, we agreed to allow the removal of this delay after
handovers. 

Suggestion:
-----------

The current version of 2461bis contains the following text
in 6.3.7

   Before a host sends an initial solicitation, it SHOULD delay the
   transmission for a random amount of time between 0 and
   MAX_RTR_SOLICITATION_DELAY.  This serves to alleviate congestion when
   many hosts start up on a link at the same time, such as might happen
   after recovery from a power failure.  If a host has already performed
   a random delay since the interface became (re)enabled (e.g., as part
   of Duplicate Address Detection [ADDRCONF]) there is no need to delay
   again before sending the first Router Solicitation message. In some
   cases, the random delay MAY be omitted if necessary. For instance, a
   mobile node, using [MIPv6], moving to a new link would need to
   discover such movement as soon as possible to minimize the amount of
   packet losses resulting from the change in its topological movement.
   Router Solicitations provide a useful tool for movement detection in
   Mobile IPv6 as they allow mobile nodes to determine movement to new
   links. Hence, if a mobile node received link layer information
   indicating that movement might have taken place, it MAY send a Router
   Solicitation immediately, without random delays. The strength of such
   indications should be assessed by the mobile nodeÆs implementation
   and is outside the scope of this specification.

(I'll remove the non ASCII character in the next rev). 

Hesham

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 07:54:27 +0000

Issue:
-------

Suggestion:
-----------

Hesham

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:35:55 -0700

Looks fine to me.

            jak

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 12:54 AM
Subject: [psg.com #256] Eliminate random delay in RS transmission

Issue:
-------

Suggestion:
-----------

Hesham