Subject: Re: comments on draft-ietf-ipv6-privacy-addrs-v2-00.txt

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 00:05:30 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Bill,
  
>I would also mention packet sizes and timing in addition to payload
>content.  My understanding is that you can recover a surprising amount
>of useful information without even looking at the payloads. 

I would agree with you that a an attacker can extrapolate a lot about the 
data, using packet sizes and timing. But do you feel that the size of the 
packets and the timing can be used to correlate the IDENTITY of the victim? 

Thanks
Suresh

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:56:40 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Bill,
  I have added the following text to include packet sizes and timing

  "Please note that an attacker, who is on path, may be able to perform
   significant correlation based on
   o  The payload contents of the packets on the wire
   o  The characteristics of the packets such as packet size and timing
   Use of temporary addresses will not prevent such payload based
   correlation"

Hope that resolves your issue.

Thanks
Suresh

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 00:49, Pekka Savola wrote:
>> > "However, note that an attacker, who is on path, may be able to
>> >  perform significant correlation based on the payloads of the packets
>> >  on the wire. Use of temporary addresses will not prevent such payload
>> >  based correlation"
>> > 
>> > This clearly indicates that the correlation is done using data present 
>> > in the payload. Is this text acceptable to you?
>> That's fine.
>