Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-narten-ipv6-3177bis-48boundary-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:06:54 +0300

> I said part of this on the ARIN PPML list but thought it should be repeated
> here. 
> 
> A /64 allocation never makes any sense. The claims about a PDA only needing
> one assume that it will never be dropped into a cradle of a vehicle suddenly
> enabling various subnets (freight environmental or inventory monitor,
> dispatch service) to reach out or be reached with independent access
> controls. A /64 puts the carrier in the position of telling the customer
> they can't build anything more than a single lan, where a /60 removes that
> limitation with effectively the same impact on space utilization.

I tend to agree with Tony here.  PDA's are getting higher bandwidth
(thanks to WiFi and 3G connections) and are mobile, so that this distinction
is becoming blurred.  Additionally, there seems to be a trend out of sharing
high-speed data connections, so a PDA in a cradle could provide connectivity
more many users.

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------