Subject: RE: jumbo frame of GbE and IPv6 -- A proposal

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:08:17 -0700

> > Disagree - PMTU probing is a unidirectional endeavor since the path
> > from A->B may have completely different characteristics than B->A.
> 
> But this isn't on a path, it's on the same L2.  L2 traditionally is a
> spanning tree, or broadcast media so the assumption seems to hold.

When a tunnel is used, there may be many L2 segments (connected by
L2 switches) with diverse MTUs separating the tunnel endpoints in what
otherwise appears as a single-hop to L3. And, the set of L2 segments
will often be different in the forward and reverse directions.

I asked this earlier, but where are we at in the decision process
for native IPv6 vs tunneled?

Fred
[email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------