Subject: Request change to IPv6 Option

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:00:40 -0700

Dear IANA,

The IPv6 working group requests that the IANA change IPv6 option type C3 
(hexadecimal) in registry:

    Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) Parameters

    http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-parameters

from:

              BINARY
     HEX      act  chg  rest
     ---      ---  ---  -----
      C3       11   0   00011   NSAP Address      [RFC 1888]

to:

      03       00   0   00011   [Unassigned]

With the publication of RFC4048 that made RFC1888 historic, the destination 
option defined by RFC1888 is no longer needed can be made available for 
other usage.  The working group is not aware of any operational usage of 
this option.

This was the intention of RFC4048, but was omitted in error.  A correction 
for this error has been submitted to the RFC-Editor to be listed as an 
erratum for RFC 4048.

Bob Hinden & Brian Haberman
IPv6 Working Group Chairs

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:18:31 -0400

>       03       00   0   00011   [Unassigned]

Would it be good to include as a reference, a pointer to RFC 4048, as
in:

      03       00   0   00011   [Unassigned]        [RFC 4048]

Even though 4048 doesn't mention this explicitely, that document
surely explains why this is unassigned (in case anyone cares to look).
      
Thomas

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:53:21 -0700

Thomas,

>surely explains why this is unassigned (in case anyone cares to look).

Good point.

Thanks,
Bob