Subject: "Link-Local" clarification in <draft-ietf-ipv6-addr-arch-v4-04.txt> (is Link-Local fe80::/10 or fe80::/64 ?)

From: Arnaud Ebalard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 00:05:22 +0200

Hello, people.

I post here a (probably stupid) question regarding Link-local  
definition in draft-ietf-ipv6-addr-arch-v4-04.txt (and previous  
RFC3513) :

- The information in http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-address- 
space (updated 31 August 2005) is synchronized with 2.4 of 3513 :
   |->  FE80::/10             Link Local Unicast      [RFC3513]
- If I follow 2.4 of 3513, the address fe80:4::211:24ff:fe71:c660 is  
a Link-local address (belonging to fe80::/10).
- If I follow 2.5.6 of 3513, the address fe80:4::211:24ff:fe71:c660  
is not Link-local address (fe80:0000:0000:0000:ifaceid).

The current draft-ietf-ipv6-addr-arch-v4-04.txt is in sync with 3513  
regarding that 2 specific points (even with the split of 2.5.6 in the  
draft) sections, so I don't see the status of addresses from  
fe80::/10 that are not in fe80::/64 (like the previous one starting  
with fe80:4::..) .

Did I miss something in another document ?

ps : for a practical information on the status of implementations :
      - Linux 2.6.12 accepts those addresses as link-local
      - OpenBSD 3.7, FreeBSD 5.4 and Mac OS X.4 don't
pps : keep me on CC, I'm on the list (but can't access my mail this  
way during the WE)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 17:22:59 -0700

Arnaud,

>- The information in http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-address- space 
>(updated 31 August 2005) is synchronized with 2.4 of 3513 :

Section 2.4 defines the prefix (i.e., FE80::/10) that identifies the 
address as link-local addresses type and Section 2.5.6 defines the exact 
format (i.e.,  prefix, zeros, IID) of Link-Local addresses.

Hope this helps.

Bob