Subject: PPP ext for IPv6 dns address

From: "Tiago Duarte (Ext_PDM&FC LDA)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:37:17 +0100

Hello,

I was looking into the RFCs for the PPP extension that allow the server
to include IPv6 DNS addresses on the PPP response.
I found out that there was a draft,
draft-ietf-pppext-ipv6-dns-addr-01.txt, that proposes this option. But
this draft was droped.
Is there any solution to pass DNS addresses to the client without using
DHCPv6? Is there any option for PPP that could be used?

Regards

Tiago Duarte
........................................................................
...........
System Engineering 
SIEMENS 
Communications

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Vincent Lubet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:58:59 -0700

On Sep 12, 2005, at 11:37 AM, Tiago Duarte (Ext_PDM&FC LDA) wrote:

> I was looking into the RFCs for the PPP extension that allow the  
> server to include IPv6 DNS addresses on the PPP response.
>
> I found out that there was a draft, draft-ietf-pppext-ipv6-dns- 
> addr-01.txt, that proposes this option. But this draft was droped.
>
> Is there any solution to pass DNS addresses to the client without  
> using DHCPv6? Is there any option for PPP that could be used?
You should be able to use neighbor discovery on the PPP link although  
it's not as simple as using IPV6CP.

Vincent