Subject: RE: PPP ext for IPv6 dns address

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:28:44 +0300

Hi,

This is a very good question, more details can be found in this draft
that is currently in RFC Ed. queue:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsop-ipv6-dns-configurat
ion-06.txt
 
Also see: RA-based mechanism (personal submission):
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jeong-dnsop-ipv6-dns-discovery
-05.txt
 
Furthermore, many OS'es (e.g. Symbian, according to my understanding
also Microsoft, ...) implement well-known site-local addresses (as a
last resort mechanism) for IPv6 DNS discovery, see e.g.:
http://www.tahi.org/conformance/ct-profile-host/dd/DDWellKnown.html
 fec0:000:0000:ffff::1 
 fec0:000:0000:ffff::2 
 fec0:000:0000:ffff::3 

This is the expired draft:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/03mar/I-D/draft-ietf-ipv6-dns-discovery-
07.txt
 
BR,
       Juha Wiljakka

________________________________

	From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of ext Vincent Lubet
	Sent: 12 September, 2005 21:59
	To: Tiago Duarte (Ext_PDM&FC LDA)
	Cc: [email-masked]
	Subject: Re: PPP ext for IPv6 dns address

	On Sep 12, 2005, at 11:37 AM, Tiago Duarte (Ext_PDM&FC LDA)
wrote:

		I was looking into the RFCs for the PPP extension that
allow the server to include IPv6 DNS addresses on the PPP response.

		I found out that there was a draft,
draft-ietf-pppext-ipv6-dns-addr-01.txt, that proposes this option. But
this draft was droped.

		Is there any solution to pass DNS addresses to the
client without using DHCPv6? Is there any option for PPP that could be
used?

	You should be able to use neighbor discovery on the PPP link
although it's not as simple as using IPV6CP. 

	Vincent    

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:33:08 +0100

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsop-ipv6-dns-configurat

A good summary email.

It seems the currently 'favoured' mechanism - in that the RA-based suggestion
is not finalised or even implemented, and the 'well known' solution uses
deprecated site-local addresses - is DHCPv6.  I suspect that by inaction that
will hold for the foreseeable future.

Tim