Subject: RE: IPV6 AAA

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 16:35:26 +0300

I agree with Francis on this.

John

>In RADIUS you have Framed-IPv6-Prefix for the PPP link itself 
>and Delegated-IPv6-Prefix (defined in an I-D) for prefix 
>delegation but PPP can't delegate a prefix, you should use 
>DHCPv6 for this job.
>
>Regards
>
>[email-masked]
>
>PS: the DHCPv6 Relay RADIUS Attribute Option can bind RADIUS 
>on the NAS with the DHCPv6 services when needed.
>
>--------------------------------------------------------------------
>IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
>[email-masked]
>Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
>--------------------------------------------------------------------
>

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Syed Ajim Hussain <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 12:25:10 +0800

Hi
  Francis/Jhon 

Thanks for your information. Why IPv6 Broadband access service is so 
dependent on DHCP6. Even if you run DHCP6-Relay on NAS there is some 
problem in NAS for maintaining Route-information, Since NAS does not
know    
What prefixes are allocated to internal access networks. Since CPE
Device 
Again needs to inform routing information to NAS, CPE device may not 
support routing protocols like BGP, OSPF.    
 
There should be a simple prefix delegation mechanism such that NAS can
directly use to advertise prefixes from AAA to its Access clients
without using DHCP6 server. If you don't support DHCP6 then IPv6 AAA
does not have much use in NAS. 

With Regards
Syed Ajim Hussain
Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2005 9:35 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: IPV6 AAA

John

---

From: Greg Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:42:44 +1000

Hi Syed,

> does not have much use in NAS. 

The point is that there's no specification of addressing assignment
for the prefix usign AAA because that address assignment is performed
by DHCPv6 if necessary, or by Stateless Address Autoconfiguration
(RFC2462) otherwise.

Routers Advertise basic routing and addressing configuration for
the link using Router Discovery (RFC2461). This contains the
addressing prefixes, and whether addresses should be autonomously
configured by the host or requested from a DHCPv6 service.

This is the same mechanism used to advertise prefixes, and allow
address configuration on Ethernet and other networks too.
So there's no added reliance on DHCPv6, just the normal one.

Greg

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:11:07 +0200

In your previous mail you wrote:

   dependent on DHCP6.

=> it is not so dependent: prefix delegation and service discovery
are optional services.

   Even if you run DHCP6-Relay on NAS there is some 
   problem in NAS for maintaining Route-information,

=> route for which prefix?

   Since NAS does not know What prefixes are allocated to internal
   access networks.

=> the NAS knows the Framed-IPv6-Prefix and can get the Delegated-IPv6-Prefix
when it runs a DHCPv6 relay (note a DHCPv6 relay or server is needed on
the NAS to delegate a prefix).

   Since CPE Device again needs to inform routing information to NAS,
   CPE device may not support routing protocols like BGP, OSPF.
    
=> I don't understand why. In fact on the NAS you have the choice between
to put the route directly or to accept the announce of the route by the
peer (CPE).

   There should be a simple prefix delegation mechanism such that NAS can
   directly use to advertise prefixes from AAA to its Access clients
   without using DHCP6 server.

=> you are far too late. There was a discussion about prefix delegation
mechanism and the DHCPv6 one wins, so now it *is* *the* prefix delegation
mechanism.

   If you don't support DHCP6 then IPv6 AAA does not have much use in NAS.

=> I don't understand your argument: the IPv6 AAA in NAS is about access
control, its use for IPv6 prefixes is only a convenient side effect.
   
Regards

PS: at the exception of the Delegated-IPv6-Prefix (too recent :-),
we have implemented the whole stuff for the server side of the Point6 box.