Subject: Linux host PC(ipv6) can't ping with embedded board(ipv6) with ping6

From: Park Sangsu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 02:32:02 +0900

Hi, all
 I have a problem about ping with ipv6.
I want to ping between host PC(ipv6) and embedded board(ipv6).
 When embedded board ping to host PC, ping worked well.
But when host PC ping to embedded board, ping didn't work well.
Host PC sent a icmp packet(solicitation) to embedded board, but embedded
board didn't send a icmp packet(advertisement).
 I don't know what is worng.
please advise me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jeroen Massar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 19:45:26 +0200

> I want to ping between host PC(ipv6) and embedded board(ipv6).

You will most likely find a better answer on a linux specific list:
For instance the USAGI users mailing list:
http://www.linux-ipv6.org/ml/index.html#usagi-users

When mailing them specify the hardware and kernel versions you are using
and also the versions of the various tools you are trying.

The IETF lists are about the protocol, not for specific OS problems.

> Host PC sent a icmp packet(solicitation) to embedded board, but
> embedded board didn't send a icmp packet(advertisement).

You are most likely mixing this up with ICMP echo requests and ICMP echo
responses.

One of the few tricks you can try is running tools like ethereal or
tcpdump on both sides and determining what is going on.

Greets,
 Jeroen