Subject: Prefix Advertisement to CPE

From: Syed Ajim Hussain <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:30:32 +0800

Hi All 
   Suppose I have a network topology shown as below.
   CPE device have establish One PPPoA connection with NAS.  NAS can do 
   authentication for PPP user Using PAP, CHAP protocol, NAS may use
RADIUS 
   server to authenticate the PPP user.  
   If NAS supports IPv6 RADIUS attributes, User specific prefix 
   Can be get from RADIUS server for this PPP client at the time of     
   authentication. Now NAS can send prefix get from AAA (RADIUS) in RA 
   message to CPE.        

   NAS can also advertise its own interface prefix to CPE device. 
   What is the benefit of advertising prefix taking from AAA to CPE 
   Device? 

   Does CPE device use this prefix only for auto-configuration its PPPoA

   Interface?     

   If CPE Device does not support DHCP6 Client, how it should support   
   auto configuration of its internal sub-networks?  

                  PPPoA 
User-------CPE----(ATM)---NAS (IPv6 AAA-with RADIUS Support)

With Regards
Syed Ajim Hussain

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:24:50 +0200

In your previous mail you wrote:

      RADIUS server to authenticate the PPP user.  
   
=> yes, the usual way to propagate the Framed-IPv6-Prefix is
by router advertisements.

=> the two ends of the PPP link (NAS and CPE) should agree about
the prefix of the link.

=> yes.

=> it can't: the CPE should support a DHCPv6 Client, the NAS a DHCPv6
server or relay. The prefix is configured in the DHCPv6 server or
in the RADIUS server (Delegated-IPv6-Prefix, cf the new I-D
draft-salowey-radext-delegated-prefix-01.txt).

Regards

[email-masked]