Subject: Re: Question about precluding use of autonomous address-configuration

From: "Durand, Alain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 17:04:17 -0500

The follow up question is:
Have host generally implemented the check of the A bit in RA and has this been tested at UNH/TAHI/ETSI/... 

     - Alain.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Sent: Mon Oct 31 14:17:17 2005
Subject: Question about precluding use of autonomous address-configuration

Suppose the nodes on a link are to be restricted to the use of addresses
assigned through DHCP, and precluded from the use of autonomous address-
configuration.

It seems there are two ways to accomplish this goal:

1) Don't include any prefixes in router advertisements

2) Include the prefixes assigned to the link in router advertisements,
   with the A (autonomous address-configuration) flag set to FALSE

There may be a subtle problem with (2): the text in RFC 2462 does not
include RFC 2119 words absolutely precluding the use of autonomous
address-configuration:

    a) If the Autonomous flag is not set, silently ignore the
       Prefix Information
       option.

Note the lack of "MUST" before "silently ignore".

Is there a reason to prefer one of these two ways of precluding the use
of autonomous address-configuration?  Is there a problem with using
technique (1)?

- Ralph

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------