Subject: IPv4 IPv6 multicast transion group

From: "António Amaral" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 01:54:49 +0000

Dear All,

Can you please tell me if there is an IETF Group for IPv4 
IPv6 multicast transition?
The IETF ngtrans group was closed and I didn't saw any 
reference to multicast transition on V6ops group.

Thanks in advance
Best Regards

AA
--------------------------------------------------------
    António Manuel Nunes C. Amaral
    Instituto de Telecomunicações - Pólo de Aveiro
    Campus Universitário
    3810-193 AVEIRO - PORTUGAL
    Telef. 234 - 377900
    Fax. 234 - 377901
    e-mail: [email-masked]
    Telef. directo. 234 - 377906
---------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jeroen Massar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 03:05:12 +0100

António Amaral wrote:
> Dear All,
> 
> Can you please tell me if there is an IETF Group for IPv4 IPv6 multicast
> transition?

In short: there is a IPv4 to IPv6 multicast gateway, as created by Stig
Venaas, available on the m6bone. This makes all IPv4 multicast groups
available to the IPv6 multicast world.

eg see:
http://www.uninett.no/testnett/multicast/mcgw/
or:
http://www.terena.nl/tech/task-forces/tf-ngn/tf-ngn10/20030206_SV_multicast_gateway.pdf

Currently this gateway is being run by Renater. Questions about it can
be asked on the m6bone mailinglist (See www.m6bone.net).

As for transition of islands/hosts. Multicast should come together with
IPv6 connectivity. As such normal IPv4 to IPv6 transition mechanisms
apply. Some transition mechanisms (eg 6to4, teredo) don't support
multicast but most of the others do. It is more a router issue, just
like currently with IPv4 if it gets supported by the transition
mechanism or not.

Greets,
 Jeroen

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 09:15:56 +0000

> be asked on the m6bone mailinglist (See www.m6bone.net).

So the source code is available, and anyone can run one.  Stig wrote an I-D
on how it worked, but this was not adopted by mboned (a shame imho).

> like currently with IPv4 if it gets supported by the transition

I think mboned is musing over IPv6+SSM or IPv6+embeddedRP as a way forward
for multicast in general.  Both streamline deployment, but have compromises.

I think multicast support in tunnel broker services will vary with the 
provider.  Probably worth looking for one that supports it :)

-- 
Tim/::1