Subject: Re: IPv6 Packet Forwarding Algorithms

From: Daniel Roesen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 08:51:48 +0100

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 10:56:39PM -0500, Joe Abley wrote:
> >In fact, I could think of a lot of things. Which is why you don't  
> >want to build the magic numbers in as compile options or hardware  
> >offsets, but rather learn them from the route database actually  
> >advertised to you.
> 
> I think also it's good advice not to assume that what you see on the  
> v6 Internet today is any indication of what you might see in (say) 5  
> years time. RIR assignment policies change; as/if substantial  
> commercial/production traffic moves to v6, that will cause additional  
> pressures.

And then there is ADDRARCH [RFC4291] saying:

   Except for the knowledge of the subnet boundary discussed in the
   previous paragraphs, nodes should not make any assumptions about the
   structure of an IPv6 address.

Regards,
Daniel

-- 
CLUE-RIPE -- Jabber: [email-masked] -- dr@IRCnet -- PGP: 0xA85C8AA0

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------