Subject: Re: address selection and DHCPv6

From: "Samita Chakrabarti" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 01:08:24 -0800

> Overall, it seems to me this issue (if we want to handle it in normal
> operation) is a matter of policy and beyond the scope of *default*
> selection rule.  For example, if we really want to mix addresses
> configured vi DHCPv6 and addresses configured via SAAC, and want to
> prefer (e.g.) the former to the latter, (again, as others pointed out)
> we could differentiate the prefixes for these addresses and control
> the preference by distributing the policy table via (e.g.) a DHCPv6
> option proposed in draft-fujisaki-dhc-addr-select-opt-00.  Or,
> espically in case of DHCPv6, we may even do that without separating
> the prefixes by specifying the allocated address itself as a /128
> "prefix" for the address selection policy DHCPv6 option.  This way, we
> can use the same DHCPv6 message(es) to allocate the address with the
> address selection preference.
>

While we are discussing the topic of different kind of sytem-wide
address selection
(such as DHCPv6 or AUTOCONF), I'd like to point out that, optionally
new type of choices
could be implemented at the socket application level  by adding a few new flags
in IPv6 source address selection api
(draft-chakrabarti-ipv6-addrselect-api-04.txt).

-Samita

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------