Subject: [Pwg-Announce] Fwd: [Isms] RFC 5953 - TLS Transport Model for SNMP

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 16:53:03 -0400

Hi,

The long-awaited enterprise network-friendly way to deploy SNMP
authentication and security using TLS and DTLS.

Recommended reading.

Cheers,
- Ira

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From:  <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 2:14 PM
Subject: [Isms] RFC 5953 on Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport
Model for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

       RFC 5953

       Title:      Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport
                   Model for the Simple Network Management
                   Protocol (SNMP)
       Author:     W. Hardaker
       Status:     Standards Track
       Stream:     IETF
       Date:       August 2010
       Mailbox:    [email-masked]
       Pages:      65
       Characters: 147393
       Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

       I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-isms-dtls-tm-14.txt

       URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5953.txt

This document describes a Transport Model for the Simple Network
Management Protocol (SNMP), that uses either the Transport Layer
Security protocol or the Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS)
protocol.  The TLS and DTLS protocols provide authentication and
privacy services for SNMP applications.  This document describes how
the TLS Transport Model (TLSTM) implements the needed features of a
SNMP Transport Subsystem to make this protection possible in an
interoperable way.

This Transport Model is designed to meet the security and operational
needs of network administrators.  It supports the sending of SNMP
messages over TLS/TCP and DTLS/UDP.  The TLS mode can make use of
TCP's improved support for larger packet sizes and the DTLS mode
provides potentially superior operation in environments where a
connectionless (e.g., UDP) transport is preferred.  Both TLS and DTLS
integrate well into existing public keying infrastructures.

This document also defines a portion of the Management Information
Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols.  In particular,
it defines objects for managing the TLS Transport Model for SNMP.
[STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Integrated Security Model for SNMP
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
 http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
 http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

_______________________________________________
pwg-announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/pwg-announce

---

From: Randy Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 10:20:43 -0700

Good catch Ira,...yes, this is a long-awaited publication.

Looking forward to the "next" long-awaited doc (at least I'm waiting for it :) that enables using NAC mechanisms
to provision SNMP VACM agents...

Pretty soon....SNMPv3 will become easy to deploy :)  Hopefully, that will create a catalyst for more folks using it.

R.