Subject: [IPP] Fwd: TLS/1.3 Transport Model for SNMPv3 initiative

From: Ira McDonald via ipp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 09:56:56 -0400

FYI - Update of RFC 6353 for TLS/1.3 - very relevant for network printers.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Kenneth Vaughn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 7:46 PM
Subject: [Secdispatch] TLSTM Update Draft
To: <[email-masked]>

Hello,

I would like to present
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-vaughn-tlstm-update/

This document is a proposal to update to RFC 6353 (*TLS Transport Model for
SNMP*) to reflect the needs of TLS 1.3.

As a little bit of background, SNMP is widely used within Intelligent
Transportation Systems (ITS) to monitor, manage and control field devices,
as defined in the National Transportation Communication for ITS Protocols
(NTCIP) standards, ISO standards, and specifications in the United Kingdom.
As you may know, CISA has declared the transportation infrastructure to be
“critical infrastructure”, and the ITS community is very interested in
ensuring that this infrastructure is adequately protected, especially as
these systems are increasingly relied upon by modern connected vehicles.

RFC 6353 defines how to use (D)TLS 1.2 authentication to control data
access within SNMP. Unfortunately, its design is not entirely compatible
with TLS 1.3. As such, the ITS community is interested in producing an
update to RFC 6353 and believes it would be in everyone's best interests to
produce this document as an IETF publication, assuming that its development
can proceed in a timely manner.

In an effort to promote further discussion on this topic, the NTCIP and ISO
communities have requested that I reach out to the IETF to initiate a
conversation on this topic and I have been informed that this email list is
the appropriate location to start such discussions. There is also a
presentation available at
https://trevilon.com/download/RFC6353Proposal.pptx that
explains the motivation behind this update proposal.

Many thanks for your considerations and I look forward to our future
discussions. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Ken Vaughn
Trevilon LLC

_______________________________________________
Secdispatch mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/secdispatch
_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp