Subject: [Ippm-ioam-ix-dt] Design Team Virtual Meeting Summary - October 23, 2019

From: Tal Mizrahi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 10:06:53 +0300

IPPM IOAM Immediate Exporting Design Team
Virtual meeting
October 23rd, 2019, 06:00 UTC
Webex meeting

Attendees:
Shwetha Bhandari, Frank Brockners, Barak Gafni, Tal Mizrahi, Ramesh
Sivakolundu, Haoyu Song, Mickey Spiegel, Tianran Zhou.

Minutes by Tal Mizrahi.

Summary:
========
- Will update the direct exporting presentation and upload an updated
version.
- We will try to hold another virtual meeting before IETF 106 to discuss
open issues about draft-ietf-ippm-ioam-flags.
- Will schedule an IOAM side meeting for IETF 106.
- Due to DST changes, future virtual meetings will be held at 07:00 UTC.

Direct exporting slides for IETF 106:
=====================================
- Tal presented preliminary slides for the IETF 106 IPPM meeting.

https://github.com/inband-oam/ietf/blob/master/presentations/ippm-ioam-direct-exporting-ietf-106.pptx
- Barak: on slide 3 - we talk about a collector. It might be multiple
collectors.
- Tal: right. We may need to fix the draft as well.
- Frank: let's simplify by not mentioning the collector.
- Tal: remove the collector from the figure?
- Frank: right, we can just have an arrow pointing to the "sky".
- Ramesh: right, talking about multiple collectors may raise the question
about how you bind each node to a collector.
- Frank: right, it would be best not to mention collecotors.
- Tal: there is a question of whether we want to raise the open issue about
the hop limit / hop count. There may be a very long discussion if we raise
this open issue.
- Frank: we mainly want slide 8 - asking for WG adoption. Then we can
handle the open issue. We want to say that we took the WG input from the
last meeting, and the WG can go ahead and adopt it.
- Tal: are we fine with removing slides 6-7 about hop limit / hop count?
- Frank: that would be best.
- Barak: I agree. We can have additional side meetings to discuss the open
issue further.
- Tal: I am going to remove slides 6-7, 10.
- Tal: any other comments about the presentation?
- Barak: I have another comment about the draft. Will send it to the
mailing list or github.
- Frank: it would be best on the mailing list to stir up some discussion.

IOAM side meeting in IETF 106
=============================
- Tal: should we schedule an IOAM side meeting?
- Frank: that would be a good idea. The IPPM slot may be tight. About 0.5
hour.
- Tal: I will schedule a side meeting.
- Frank: who will be in singapore?
- Frank, Ramesh, Shwetha, Tal, Haoyu, Barak (not final yet).

Flag draft
==========
Tal: the flag draft was updated - removed the immediate export flag, and
also some updates regarding the loopback flag, adding explanations and
clarifications.
Frank: we may want to further discuss this in a side meeting in singapore.
It is for further discussion whether instructing data plane behavior is
within the scope of this draft or not. The discussion about the flag draft
requires participation of the people that raised their concerns.
Tal: right.
Frank: we can try to get these people to join the next virtual meeting.
Tal: I will try to schedule a virtual meeting about the flag draft before
Singapore, and invite the people who raised the open issues (Tom Herbert,
Greg Mirsky).
Mickey: a DST change is approaching - we may want to shift the time of the
virtual meeting.
Tal: may shift by an hour. Will send a notification.

Other issues
============
Frank: there is another open topic. Issue #135 on github - we can try to
address it.
Tal: do we need further discussion about this?
Frank: no, we can suggest the text change. Basically to ignore unknown
options or flags and remove them at the decapsulating node.
Tal: sounds good.
Frank: anything else that is open for the data draft?
Tal: are we ready to request WG last call?
Frank: with that last open issue closed, we definitely want to do ask for
WG last call.
Ramesh: draft 07 is the current version?
Frank: yes.

---

From: Tal Mizrahi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 10:07:59 +0300

The draft presentation has been updated on Github:
https://github.com/inband-oam/ietf/blob/master/presentations/ippm-ioam-direct-exporting-ietf-106.pptx

Thanks,
Tal.

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 10:06 AM Tal Mizrahi <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> - Tal: there is a question of whether we want to raise the open issue
> about the hop limit / hop count. There may be a very long discussion if we
> raise this open issue.